Photo

Is Dueling ever worth it for a Guardian?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Klorox

Klorox
  • 342 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:05 PM

I'm playing a Scout 4/Guardian 16 and I'm wondering if Dueling might just be worth it. I will be pretty vulnerable on Taris, and the feat would help.

But I don't want to waste any feats either, because I know there is a limit to them and I want a butt-kickin' warrior when I become a Jedi.
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

Oh, squiggly line in my eye fluid. I see you lurking there on the periphery of my vision. But when I try to look at you, you scurry away. Are you shy, squiggly line? Why only when I ignore you, do you return to the center of my eye? Oh, squiggly line, it's alright, you are forgiven.
? Stewie Griffin

#2 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 02:20 PM

Dueling is the technique I favor-great if you also use flurry. It's a defensive style, so if that's your thing, it's quite handy-especially if your strength and dexterity are less than stellar.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#3 Klorox

Klorox
  • 342 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:16 AM

Well, I don't plan on gimping my STR, but DEX is definitely the concentration of this build (probably starting with a 10/16 STR/DEX split).

Are there any melee weapons that use DEX instead of STR (the same way lightsabers are used) available on Taris?

BTW, since I get so many feats as a Guardian, I suppose it's possible to use Dueling on Taris (only 1 level since I'm only going to 4th level as a Scout anyway), and then going with Two Weapon Fighting after I become a Jedi Knight.

Edited by Klorox, 28 May 2008 - 04:18 AM.

#4 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:37 AM

Are there any melee weapons that use DEX instead of STR (the same way lightsabers are used) available on Taris?

Well, you need to take the finesse: melee weapons feat as a Scout, so that's a bad idea on the long run. Ahh, that's in the KotOR II, in the first, there was no such a thing, so you are just confusing it to Bastila's weapon(as it works as if it would be two Short-Bladed Lightsabres). There are few Double-bladed melee weapons too in the game, but they come quite late.

BTW, since I get so many feats as a Guardian, I suppose it's possible to use Dueling on Taris (only 1 level since I'm only going to 4th level as a Scout anyway), and then going with Two Weapon Fighting after I become a Jedi Knight.

Yes, but consider it to be a waste in the long run if you use the Two weapon...

As you still need Master level Two-Weapon Fighting(3), Master Toughness(3), Master Flurry(3), Weapon Focus (Lightsaber), Weapon Specialization (Lightsaber) so that's 11 feats, just for those. 2 more for better implants. And for all those 16 levels of Guardian you'll get only 8 feats+ the the 3 from the scout levels(+ the class special feats). So you won't be getting any extra feats. Tables here.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 28 May 2008 - 05:54 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#5 Klorox

Klorox
  • 342 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:46 AM

Good Point Jarno.

FYI: I will get the first two levels of Implants from 4 Scout levels, and 1 level of Flurry as well.

I'm not sure what I'll do yet, I'll have to think on it. There's also a decent chance i'll go with Sentinel instead of Soldier, but I'm not positive.

Am I gimping my fighting abilities with two Sentinels (myself and Bastila)?
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

Oh, squiggly line in my eye fluid. I see you lurking there on the periphery of my vision. But when I try to look at you, you scurry away. Are you shy, squiggly line? Why only when I ignore you, do you return to the center of my eye? Oh, squiggly line, it's alright, you are forgiven.
? Stewie Griffin

#6 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 10:26 AM

Well, the guardians basic attack bonus at level 16 is +16, as sentinels is +12. So you'll miss about every 1/5((16-12)/20) hits that guardian might have landed, if you take sentinel. That might not sound huge, but if the enemy has high armor, it becomes that. Now, it's not that if take up force powers that boost your damage out put, but still...

Remember that the game can be gone through with a bunch of gnomes, so this is not that bad. And you'll soon get a Guardian companion... if you do the light side path.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#7 Klorox

Klorox
  • 342 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:05 AM

Ya know, it's funny: Everytime I think of Guardian vs. Sentinel, the +3 to STR always beats the +3 to CON. So much so that I've actually considered an armored Jedi Guardian with a 12 DEX (but I don't think I could ever really do that to myself). ;)

#8 Anaximander

Anaximander
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:22 AM

Scout -> Guardian is my favorite build in this game. I personally favor a strength build over a dexterity build. By the end of the game with my guardian dual wielding a pair of powerful lightsabers, his force jump can kill any enemy in one shot. The Star Forge is quite fun to play through by force jumping from one enemy to the next, pausing in between to select my next target. When they're too close to force jump, a single flurry attack will do the trick.

In most games I am more of a defensive player, but in KOTOR I believe the best defense is a one-shot offense. The only enemy who can stand up to my guardian is Malak himself, and he doesn't last long.

I suppose my short answer to your original question would be "No." I don't think dueling is the way to go with a Guardian. This, of course, is only my opinion based on my experience with the class. I tried a dex build with dueling once and I found the pace to be too slow for my liking. It took the dex monkey far longer to dispatch enemies than the strength juggernaut.
You have defeated The Purpose!!!
Experience gained: 50000
Gold gained: 1000
You gain a level!!!