• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:29 PM

Welcome back, Orthodoxia! A great beginning to what's shaping up to be a riveting tale. I've got to say; I absolutely love the way that you take the themes of the games and explore them so much deeper, take your own twist on the metaphysical aspects, and come up with such incredibly in-depth characters! And although I haven't even finished NWN yet, your first chapter has interested me enough to read further without any Mask of the Betrayer background whatsoever. :D

A few little things that can easily be fixed up by a spellcheck; I thought the reading was broken a bit by some grammar stumbles and misspells like 'defiantly' instead of 'definitely'. But the imagery that you created and the awesome character interaction you had were great! It saddens me to see Ele'ena like this, after seeing her at the beginning of Silver Shards, but I guess that's just a reflection of how well you've drawn her, and I'm definitely going to be hanging on to see what happens next in her crazy life. ^_^

Through lightning, travel shadow,
Through hell and all above,
Surviving sword and arrow,
Bound stronger by the love

And in the end a witness,
To where the death has lain,
Silent through the sorrow,
Where innocents lie slain

#2 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 11:45 PM

I'm definetely in agreement with Shadowhawke, especially on what has happened to Ele'ena over the long period of time - really moving work as always Orthodoxia. :hug: :)

I really look foward to seeing where you take this, and the descriptions surrounding the soul-eaters and dream walkers was really mystifying, and allowed a kind of mystical mood to pop in admist the anger and struggle that was going on in the unseen world (save of course, for those present).

And the portrayal of the Hunger was also very good, really fiendish in nature. Personally I'm not too familar with MotB, so yeah, repeat above statement. :D

:cheers:

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#3 Orthodoxia

Orthodoxia
  • 853 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 02:17 AM

Thank you people :hug: I really liked the idea of hunger in MotB and I wanted to explore it a bit. The only problem I foresee with this story, aside from the occasional grammatical errors, is that it is written with an assumption that you have at least some knowledge of the game's background as it is more about the characters than places.

And Ele'ena was always meant to end up like this. No break for this elf :devil:

See you next week :cheers:
Dear gamer! You cannot summon Spirits of Rage when fighting bosses. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please send all complaints to Undead Control Administration, Bosses Combat Department, and apply for revision of the Endoria combat regulations. - King?s Bounty, the Legend
Posted Image

#4 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 12:43 AM

Gann really doesn't like to be denied access to poor Ele'ena's mind doesn't he? ^_^

Of course if dark sleeping beauty in the blue elf's mind wakes up, I think those acorns would be the least of his concerns.

Lovely work work again Orthodoxia, especially with that little dive into old West Harbor, brings a nostalgic feel for the old times for Ele'ena. :)

Although why she's considered an infamous hero back in Neverwinter now is really interesting, knowing her it wouldn't have been as bad as anything Khai would've done... right? :unsure:

(It also seems to be the fate of NWN heroes no? Save the city, then become public enemy and get downplayed for thy efforts. Makes me wonder how it still stands.) :)

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

~***~***~***~

#5 Orthodoxia

Orthodoxia
  • 853 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 10:05 PM

Gann doesn't like to be told what to do, where to go and so on... It takes one ugly curse for him to be obedient.

I always had the impression that Neverwinter discarded its heroes like dirty underwear. First Aribeth, then the "Hero" from NWN1 who isn't mentioned at all in NWN2 (you'd think they'd at least put the reference in a book or something) and now the Knight-Captain. Not a city where you'd want to be employed as a hero.

As for Ele'ena being infamous - it's really in the ACT 3 (which will not be written) that the higher-ups realized that she quite useless in everything but being a shard-container.

Love the new Avatar by the way.
Dear gamer! You cannot summon Spirits of Rage when fighting bosses. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please send all complaints to Undead Control Administration, Bosses Combat Department, and apply for revision of the Endoria combat regulations. - King?s Bounty, the Legend
Posted Image

#6 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 10:23 PM

I always had the impression that Neverwinter discarded its heroes like dirty underwear. First Aribeth, then the "Hero" from NWN1 who isn't mentioned at all in NWN2 (you'd think they'd at least put the reference in a book or something) and now the Knight-Captain. Not a city where you'd want to be employed as a hero.

Despite the fact it's almost Harper Central :rolleyes: , and I suppose the only logical explaination for the lack of regard for the previous Hero in NWN1, was that Nasher had their role downplayed by revisionists - as explained by certain returning NPCs in Hordes of the Underdark expansion. :)

As for Ele'ena being infamous - it's really in the ACT 3 (which will not be written) that the higher-ups realized that she quite useless in everything but being a shard-container.

:lol: Just a shard-container eh? I'll still cling to the naive belief she'd be a bit more than that, if you don't mind. ^_^

~***~***~***~

#7 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 04:57 AM

Wow, stellar new chapter, Orthodoxia. The interaction was perfectly pitched again, and very enjoyable and reflective. The bit at the end was quite ominous too. At the moment, I'm really liking how you're weaving together your trademark humour and grimness, and it's working wonderfully. Can't wait to see more. ^_^

#8 Orthodoxia

Orthodoxia
  • 853 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:21 AM

Despite the fact it's almost Harper Central :rolleyes: , and I suppose the only logical explaination for the lack of regard for the previous Hero in NWN1, was that Nasher had their role downplayed by revisionists - as explained by certain returning NPCs in Hordes of the Underdark expansion. :)

In Neverwinter it seems, a hero can either turn traitor or be booted out of the city effectively making place for a new sucker <_< Politics is a wonder, don't you agree?

:lol: Just a shard-container eh? I'll still cling to the naive belief she'd be a bit more than that, if you don't mind. ^_^

Me writer, you reader (although a reader can very well influence the after mentioned writer so keep that hope running ;) )

Wow, stellar new chapter, Orthodoxia. The interaction was perfectly pitched again, and very enjoyable and reflective. The bit at the end was quite ominous too. At the moment, I'm really liking how you're weaving together your trademark humour and grimness, and it's working wonderfully. Can't wait to see more. ^_^

Thank you. It largely depends on my mood how I'm going to write something but I do try to keep humor woven into everything.
Posted Image

#9 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 01:19 AM

:whistling: Never wise to get in the way of a blue elf and her meal... especially while she's a soul-eater.

Very descriptive chapter, Orthodoxia, and throughly enjoyable as always. ^_^

?You have no fur,? ouch, talk about a backhander on whatever it is Gann hopes for. :devil:
And Safiya remains ever surprising for a Red Wizard.
Look foward to the next chapter, with baited breath... err, I mean, anticipation, yes. :D

(although a reader can very well influence the after mentioned writer so keep that hope running ;) )

Will do. ^_^

~***~***~***~

#10 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 08:05 PM

Hmm, liked the description of the eating, and there's a novel way to feed, certainly. I'll agree with Solar's Harper it was a very descriptive chapter, and a very good one, at that. The last line was quiet nice too. Looking forwards to more. :D

#11 Orthodoxia

Orthodoxia
  • 853 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:12 PM

Shadowhawke - Thanks. I'm usually not good with describing thing or situations so that's quite the praise from both of you.

Solar - Gann would very much prefer for things to work out the way he wants them. ... So not going to happen :D And Safiya is one of my favorite characters (along with Okku and Kaji) so I try very hard to keep her in character. I hope I managed.
Posted Image

#12 princesspurpleblob

princesspurpleblob

Princess

• 329 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 12:01 AM

Ooh... fantastic job doxia! I really loved the 3rd part. Especially "you have no fur" bit. Hehe

#13 Orthodoxia

Orthodoxia
  • 853 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:19 AM

Well, you can't cuddle properly if you're not soft and cuddly :P
Posted Image

#14 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 06:27 AM

Awesome to see another chapter up, Orthodoxia... the switching chapters between both Gann and Aneele worked really well... it's still really painful to see El'ena like this, but I guess that just means you're doing a really good job. :) Your descriptions were great again this chapter... the image painted of Aneele worked well, and the insight it gave us into Gann and Aneele's developing... whatever, was great to read too. ^_^

As always, looking forwards to more! ^_^

#15 Orthodoxia

Orthodoxia
  • 853 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 02:33 AM

It's good that descriptions worked well because I'm usually not good at them. As I perhaps have mentioned already, it was always planned for her to end up like this as I am rather incapable of giving my characters a happy ending (my Bhaalspawn can testify for that) and I'm not guaranteeing that Aneele/Ele'ena will have one.

Glad you enjoyed, we'll continue soon.
Posted Image

#16 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 06:10 AM

Ah, still a tiny fraction of Ele'ena left in Aneele, not much but still there. You'd almost say Ele'ena is the blue elf's spirit and Aneele is her shell if you really want to be philosophical. :)

At least that's the way I see it; nice looking chapter there Doxia ^_^ and I don't say that just because of the little moonlit sequence, that was actually rather sad when thought about. :crying:

It's interesting to see how her companions deal with Aneele's condition in their seperate ways, and how such methods and theories might collide in a fullblown headbutt. :devil:

And aww, poor Hunger is going hungry... hungry in dreams. (bad pun, I know. :D )

Looking foward to the next chapter, Orthodoxia, this was great. ^_^ :cheers:

As I perhaps have mentioned already, it was always planned for her to end up like this as I am rather incapable of giving my characters a happy ending (my Bhaalspawn can testify for that) and I'm not guaranteeing that Aneele/Ele'ena will have one.

Nor any need to give them happy endings. :devil:

~***~***~***~

#17 Orthodoxia

Orthodoxia
  • 853 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 06:59 AM

Ah, still a tiny fraction of Ele'ena left in Aneele, not much but still there. You'd almost say Ele'ena is the blue elf's spirit and Aneele is her shell if you really want to be philosophical. :)

You've guessed it, that's exactly it! :cookie: for you!

And the companions all have their own ideas of what to do and how to deal with it, not to mention their own personal goals *caughKaelyncaugh* Next chapter should be a bit more interesting I hope :D

And for the sake of it, some art of Aneele and Khai :P : Sketches
Posted Image

#18 princesspurpleblob

princesspurpleblob

Princess

• 329 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 04:30 PM

It is very enjoyable to read this fanfic Orthodoxia -- please keep them coming! :cheers:

#19 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 05:50 PM

Hey again Orthodoxia. :) Interesting new chapter, especially concerning the large amounts of real-life physical interaction that Aneele and Gann are getting now! You really are writing their playing-off very well... the vibrancy of their characters comes alive with each conversation. The mini-cliffhanger at the end also grabbed my attention, especially with the almost droll overtones that you ended it with. As always, I can't wait for more. :)

#20 Orthodoxia

Orthodoxia
  • 853 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 11:34 PM

Like it or not, or even if she's aware or not, Aneele/Ele'ena has to interact with those around her. It's difficult and limited with her mind being turned topsy-turvy but she manages. And I have to write more about the companions because the Knight-Captain herself is very limited in her behavior and emotions.

If you liked the cliffhanger I hope you'll enjoy the next chapter as well :)
Posted Image