How to...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sleawer

Sleawer
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:31 PM

Hello,

Is there any tutorial around that explains the links.tbl structure in detail? I'm going to experiment a couple of things with it and a pre-written how-to would really speed things up.

SRC_AREA  SRC_NWSE  TARGET_ARE  ENTRY_NAME  TRV_TIME  DEF_ENTRY  ENC1	 ENC2	 ENC3	 ENC4	 ENC5	 ENC_PROB

Thanks.

#2 Red Carnelian

Red Carnelian
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 03:23 AM

This is a snip from the DSotSC links table.

SRC_AREA SRC_NWSE TARGET_ARE ENTRY_NAME TRV_TIME DEF_ENTRY ENC1 ENC2 ENC3 ENC4 ENC5 ENC_PROB

DSC001 E DSC002 EXITC001 2 2 AR5300 AR4701 AR4801 AR5301 AR4901 10

The way I thought of this was like this.

My new area is DSC001(SRC_AREA). I travel East(SRC_NWSE) to DSC002(TARGET_ARE). DSC002 has an entrance point called EXITC001(ENTRY_NAME). My team takes 2(TRV_TIME) hours to travel the distance. My the team arrives in DSC002 at the point EXITC001. ENC1-5 are the areas you are likely to encounter when travelling of which there is a 10(ENC_PROB) percent probability of success. I don't know what the DEF_ENTRY is but would also like to know.

Edited by Red Carnelian, 26 July 2008 - 03:31 AM.

#3 erebusant

erebusant

It takes a village...

• Modder
  • 2109 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 07:30 AM

Hello,

Is there any tutorial around that explains the links.tbl structure in detail? I'm going to experiment a couple of things with it and a pre-written how-to would really speed things up.

SRC_AREA  SRC_NWSE  TARGET_ARE  ENTRY_NAME  TRV_TIME  DEF_ENTRY  ENC1	 ENC2	 ENC3	 ENC4	 ENC5	 ENC_PROB

Thanks.

SRC_AREA = Area you are starting from
SRC_NWSE = This comes into play regarding how the TARGET_ARE is flagged. If it is flagged as adjacent (2) then when you are in the source area when you travel to the edge of the map that is listed (NWSE) the adjacent area will appear. If you go to any other edge of the map, it won't.
TARGET_ARE = Area you are travelling to.
ENTRY_NAME = Specific name of the entrance in the .are file you will arrive at.
TRV_TIME = Time it takes to travel to an area in multiples of (4) hours.
DEF_ENTRY = Doesn't appear to do anything. It is supposed to stand for Defined Entries, I believe, but I haven't played with it a whole lot. I have seen it not match how many entries an area has defined and have no effect, so who knows. Perhaps it makes a difference if ENTRY_NAME is set to N for none.
ENC_1 - ENC_5 = Define the different options available to have as a random encounter area.
ENC_PROB = % possibility you will have a random encounter upon any given travel link. Note if you are travelling a great distance, Worldmap may actually route you along several different travel links on your way from one location to another.

Hope this helps.

It takes a village...

#4 Sleawer

Sleawer
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:53 AM

It helped a lot. Thanks guys.