error message during installation CA046

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry Cornelius

Jerry Cornelius
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 03:03 AM

Hi Billy,

I've tried to install Classic Adventures on a clean ToB install with the latest ToB patch from Bioware. I am getting the following error message:

ERROR: BIFF [./DATA/AREA1100.BIF] cannot be loaded: Unix.Unix_error<20, "stat", "./DATA/AREA1100.BIF>
Stopping installation because of error.

Then it goes into de-install and I get the following message:
ERROR: Unix.Unix_error<20, "stat", "./DATA/AREA1100.BIF">
PLEASE email the file SETUP-CLASSICS046.DEBUG to SirBillyBob@gmail.com

I am using a French version of SoA & ToB, could that be the problem?

Where do I go from here?

Thanks for your help, I can't wait to try your awesome-sounding mod. I played all these classic modules many years ago and I think transposing them into the BG2 game is a brillant idea.

Warm regards,

Jerry Cornelius

Attached Files

Edited by Jerry Cornelius, 24 July 2008 - 03:04 AM.

#2 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7660 posts

Donator

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:53 AM

My BG2 is the japanese version.I think it is something else,are you sure you are doing full install of BG2 and ToB? I will get SirBillyBob to look into this ASAP.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#3 Jerry Cornelius

Jerry Cornelius
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:32 AM

Thanks for your prompt answer. I confirm I've done a full install of both programs.

Arigato Gozaimas

#4 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:52 PM

I don't think so.

The error is saying that you don't have area 1100 installed into your /data folder. That would come from not doing a full install. Now another issue I see is this:

Possible HD/CD Path: [C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\]
Possible HD/CD Path: [E:\CD1\]
Possible HD/CD Path: [C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD2\]
Possible HD/CD Path: [E:\CD2\]
Possible HD/CD Path: [E:\CD3\]
Possible HD/CD Path: [E:\CD4\]
Possible HD/CD Path: [C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD5\]

That looks like you have the game spread across two harddrives. If everything really was installed as a full install (both SoA and ToB have to be full installs), then these should all match with the same location.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#5 Jerry Cornelius

Jerry Cornelius
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:16 AM

Ok, I'm going to de-install and full install again to check where the problem comes from.

I know C: is a hard drive and E: a Cd player/burner, but I don't think I catch your point. (I might have to learn some computer skills).

Thanks very much for your help and your time.

#6 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 01:43 AM

If you are using Vista, you need to turn the UAC is off and then check that the BGII - SoA\ directory doesn't have read only flag(right click from mouse on top of the directory), before...

This, it's all you need for the current installation. Check that your baldur.ini has this:
[Alias]
HD0:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\
CD1:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD1\
CD2:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD2\;C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD2\
CD3:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD3\
CD4:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD4\
CD5:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD5\

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#7 Jerry Cornelius

Jerry Cornelius
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 03:49 AM

Hi Jarno,

Thanks for the info. I'm using XP. There might be something fishy with my CD player. This is a good way to find out.

I'll get back to you when I try installing again later on today.

#8 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 06:01 AM

If you really did a full install, the Baldur.ini file will show that all the CD data is now on your hard drive as Jarno displayed. In your case, the Baldur.ini still shows that all the data is not on your hard drive. This will crash CA. Because we pull many of the inside area maps from the CDs, they have to be on your local hard drive. Therefore, you have to do a full install of both SoA (all discs) and ToB.

Classic Adventures

#9 Jerry Cornelius

Jerry Cornelius
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 02:05 PM

I have tried again and I get the same error message.
[Alias]
CD1:=E:\CD1\
CD2:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD2\;E:\CD2\
CD3:=E:\CD3\
CD4:=E:\CD4\

I know I have done a full install (I mean, all it takes is to click on "full", I think I can handle that) so there must be something else wrong with my computer. The CD drive is becoming noisy and I've had a few problems burning CDs recently. I'll talk to a repairman about this.

Thanks very much for your support. I will let you know if I succeed in this quest for classics.

Take care, bye for now.

Edited by Jerry Cornelius, 26 July 2008 - 02:08 PM.

#10 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7660 posts

Donator

Posted 26 July 2008 - 10:22 PM

Are you using vista,if so that could be the problem.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#11 Jerry Cornelius

Jerry Cornelius
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 10:40 PM

No I've got with XP. There seems to be something very unnatural taking place. Thanks Leanhkain. Shitsulay shimas.

#12 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 01:11 AM

To conform that you have both SoA and ToB fully installed, the game itself takes about 2.7 Gb of space, how much does your take? +the 1.1 Gb the mod take, if it's already in the directory. ;)

I have tried again and I get the same error message.
[Alias]
CD1:=E:\CD1\
CD2:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD2\;E:\CD2\
CD3:=E:\CD3\
CD4:=E:\CD4\

The just replace that with the one I gave you.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 27 July 2008 - 01:12 AM.

#13 Jerry Cornelius

Jerry Cornelius
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 02:10 PM

Hi Jarno,

I replaced the data as you suggested and installation worked fine. I have started a game and it's running OK for now (nice one, Jarno, happy birthday).

Nevertheless, I get very bizarre info : it says my full install of SoA, ToB and CA altogether take 1.09Mo.

But, whatever, as long as the game is functioning, I'm happy, even if there is something very strange going on. I guess I should ask a computer-literate friend to come round and look into it.

Thanks to you all for your kind support. You are very thorough and committed.

Cheers.

Edited by Jerry Cornelius, 27 July 2008 - 02:13 PM.

#14 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7660 posts

Donator

Posted 28 July 2008 - 06:27 AM

We hope you enjoy playing CA.

#15 Xeniteia

Xeniteia
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:16 AM

Well, I have the same problem while trying to installing it on my Ubuntu (Linux) system. It is related to the file area0300.bif than can't be loaded by the installer (using the wine console command). It's related to the main component since the other components of the mod install fine.

I've tried to use the baldur.ini file posted here with no success (and it made the regular game asked me for CD2 when trying to access SoA on the mneu where you can choose between SoA and ToB).

I've installed both SoA and ToB using PlayOnLinux, from the 4-in-1 version (so SoA in on a sole DVD) and the game alone plays fine for the little tests I've done.

#16 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:17 AM

Well, I have the same problem ...
I've installed both SoA and ToB using PlayOnLinux, from the 4-in-1 version (so SoA in on a sole DVD) and the game alone plays fine for the little tests I've done.

Is it the full installation of both SoA and ToB? As the game wouldn't ask the other DVD/CD while you are trying to get the regular game go... unless the versions differ greatly. :unsure: As the baldur.ini code was for the 4+1CD version of the BG2.

Now, to get the installation work properly, you need to make sure you install the SoA and ToB on full installation, before you install the mod, as it's a Full Conversion mod, it needs all the files possible...

#17 Xeniteia

Xeniteia
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:13 AM

I installed both SoA and ToB using PlayOnLinux.

I messed some thing while trying to do some tweaks on my computer and made a clean install, and I installed them again. Some problems were corrected (like a save problem I had) but mods can't install. I had an error with Return to Trademeet too.

Here's the beginning of my baldur.ini file :

[Alias]

CD1:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\French\;C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD1\

CD2:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD2\;C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\French\;C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD2\

CD3:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\French\;C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD3\

CD4:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\French\;C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD4\

The AR0300.bf file is in the folder /data/CD2 and its size is 37.2 Mo.

Thanks for the help, anyway !

#18 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:27 PM

Well I know nothing about PlayOnLinux, so I am not even going to chase after this one. Anyone else have a clue?

Classic Adventures

#19 Xeniteia

Xeniteia
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:52 PM

Well I know nothing about PlayOnLinux, so I am not even going to chase after this one. Anyone else have a clue?

Thanks anyway. I'll try what happens with version 0.47. And I think that's a question of access to files, because I can't access to the game folder -only to some upper folder- using the console (like MS-DOS). I get a message where it can't manage to find the folder, while the console from wine finds it. Or it's simply an error in the references of the baldur.ini file. But well, where on Windows you write C:/Program Files, on Linux you write something like C:\usr\bin, so that's maybe a simple problem of syntax like the one exposed here. The problem being to find the right one.

And the Weidu installer for Linux doesn't work at all because of the folder problem cited before. I manage to create the linux.ini file only while making a copy of the baldur.ini file on an upper folder and applying the tolower application (that lower all cases, the system being case sensitive) there, then copying the linux.ini file to my BG2 folder. The game works fine after applying the tolower app, too.

Thanks anyway ! I guess I have to be patient and to wait for some more clues and better understanding of my system from my side.