Your first game.

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#61 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:09 AM

Kinda off-topic does anyone else miss Point & click adventure games I mean really they were fun...

Hell yeah. Back when I was working on games mags I was bemoaning the loss of point and click as it happened. I remember getting Grim Fandango for review, which was a fantastic game, except that (because it was 3D) it used cursor keys to move around. I felt that was a step back. Cursor keys are fine for an first person perspective game but when all you want to do is move a character from one side of the screen to the other, point and click is so much easier.
I never even played the final Monkey Island game - I loaded it up, found the controls dreadful (I also felt the clunky 3D graphics were inferior to the nicely drawn 2D ones of the previous game) so I abandonned it.
The advent of 3D didn't do the point and click adventure any favours but it also seemed that companies just stopped making them. The FPS genre was a lot more popular and the companies that did persist with adventure games more often than not got burned (see Virgin with Toonstruck).
It's a pity. I much prefer 2D games, as a rule, but then I'm an old dinosaur.

#62 Jazhara7

Jazhara7
  • 715 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:17 AM

Kinda off-topic does anyone else miss Point & click adventure games I mean really they were fun...

Hell yeah. Back when I was working on games mags I was bemoaning the loss of point and click as it happened. I remember getting Grim Fandango for review, which was a fantastic game, except that (because it was 3D) it used cursor keys to move around. I felt that was a step back. Cursor keys are fine for an first person perspective game but when all you want to do is move a character from one side of the screen to the other, point and click is so much easier.
I never even played the final Monkey Island game - I loaded it up, found the controls dreadful (I also felt the clunky 3D graphics were inferior to the nicely drawn 2D ones of the previous game) so I abandonned it.
The advent of 3D didn't do the point and click adventure any favours but it also seemed that companies just stopped making them. The FPS genre was a lot more popular and the companies that did persist with adventure games more often than not got burned (see Virgin with Toonstruck).
It's a pity. I much prefer 2D games, as a rule, but then I'm an old dinosaur.

Like I said, it's not completely dead. For example, they've recently announced "Black Mirror 2", which, if it stays true to its predecessor, will be point and click. No, you won't have the traditional form, with the commands at the bottom of the screen. It is more similar to the action coin known from "Full Throttle", "The Curse of Monkey Island" (MI3), and "The Longest Journey". But it's still point and click. :)

- :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Hey, are you hungry?

I Hate Elminster!
(proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#63 Lysan Lurraxol

Lysan Lurraxol
  • Modder
  • 899 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:14 AM

Yup. The Longest Journey was so awesome, and Dreamfall could have been just as awesome if they hadn't decided to put in horrible action and stealth bits. NO! Do not want! :crying:

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70?s and 80?s. Experience AD&D?s greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Classic Adventures Visit our homepage at Classic Adventures Homepage

#64 khay

khay

Swords to Rust, Hearts to Dust

• Modder
  • 1719 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 03:46 AM

Lazy Jones for the C64, that game was pure awesomeness.

There still are pretty good point & click adventure games; Sublustrum, Dracula: Origin, Diamonds in the Rough, Murder in the Abbey, Perry Rhodan - these are all quite playable. :)

#65 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:16 AM

Oh god yes, there are so many adventure games that have these terrible action-ish bits - Sierra games were terrible for that. I really loved Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers except for that dreadful bit in the tomb mound near the end. It nearly drove me crazy. There was a stupid timed bit in Phantasmagoria as well (though it was entertaining to screw it up once, just to see the main character's grisley death).

#66 Lysan Lurraxol

Lysan Lurraxol
  • Modder
  • 899 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:14 AM

I think most games would be better if they concentrated more on the story/ characters and less on the combat. PS:T is a case in point, I think I'd love it even more if the horrible combat had been eliminated from it.

Not going to happen, of course, the games industry does so love to market for the lowest common denominator.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70?s and 80?s. Experience AD&D?s greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Classic Adventures Visit our homepage at Classic Adventures Homepage

#67 Aliya

Aliya

Pink-Eyed Menace!

• 1619 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:26 AM

I see, that racing and Simulators aren't popular, right? :)

#68 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:16 AM

I was about 6 year old when I played computer games. Very hard to remember the names since then. I do remember I have played Simcity, Dizzy.
Then my family had to sell computer (financial troubles we had). Several years later, in 2000-2001 I multiplayed Descent in computer class in school with my classmates.
Finally, five years ago, I got a personal PC and the very first thing I tried with it was Dune2000.

Retired from modding.

#69 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 11:58 AM

Dune 2000 was okay, though the only "Dune" thing about it was the worms and the spice (okay, now I'm being harsh... ^_^ I guess I just liked the 1992 version better... gosh, I feel old! :lol: ).

And Aliya... I guess I would like racing and simulators if I was any good at 'em!!! We played Track Mania Nations a tiny bit in between games at our last LAN party, and I just plain gave up after the first lap or so!... :lol: (I used to be good at Wacky Wheels though!... :rolleyes: )

Wow, sorry, this is thread is bringing on some serious reminiscing!

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#70 MrToughGuy

MrToughGuy
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 01:20 PM

I'm pretty sure mine was Spy Hunter, on the C64. If not, it was something else on the C64 or the Atari.

#71 Bardess

Bardess

the Eternal Noob

• Modder
  • 483 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:40 AM

The first real game I played was Heroes of Might and Magic III - Shadow of Death. :) I was 11 or so.

"Farewell, Charname, and may Irenicus get you!"

Mazzy to Edwin:
"When science finally locates the center of the planes, I'm sure you'll be taken aback to find that you're not it."

- Author of lil one-day Moddie fox. -

#72 Aliya

Aliya

Pink-Eyed Menace!

• 1619 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:49 AM

... And it was my second game :D

#73 Jenne

Jenne

Assault of The Mighty Feet is coming, beware!

• 85 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 03:35 AM

For me, the very first was Minesweeper (played at school during the breaks - oh, the glorious times...) :) My first real game was, like Aliya's, The Neverhood. I'd love to play it again (if i get my hands on it, that is) just for the nostalgia effect.

Elminster this, Elminster that. Give me 2000 years and a pointy hat and I will kick his arse.

My personal blog - in Czech. You've been warned.
My DA account, although it isn't tended too much.

Posted Image

#74 Icendoan

Icendoan

"An Infinite Deal of Nothing"

• 1723 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 06:48 AM

The first 'real' game I played, that I can remember, is Baldur's Gate, when I was 10 (so 4 years ago). Gah, says a lot about me, doesn't it. xD

Icen
Proud member of the 'I HATE Elminster!' Club!

Mods in development: Keeping Yoshimo

#75 Aliya

Aliya

Pink-Eyed Menace!

• 1619 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 06:56 AM

Is it? :D

#76 Icendoan

Icendoan

• 1723 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:00 AM

Yes, it is. Before that, well, I think I was playing flash mario or space invaders.

Icen

#77 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:10 AM

Sometimes, I feel like I'm the only one who remembers game which ran in DOS, and were in black and white! :lol:

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#78 Aliya

Aliya

Pink-Eyed Menace!

• 1619 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:16 AM

Dos? <_<

#79 Icendoan

Icendoan

• 1723 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:22 AM

I know what it is, but I have never played a DOS game, except I am making a text-based game in Python, whenever I feel like it really.

Icen

#80 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:23 AM

I vaguely remember watching my father play Zork when I was 4 or so.

"It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!