From a story perspective, when's the best time to do TotSC quests?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:15 PM

Hi. I haven't played BG + TotSC since it first came out, but am really looking forward to trying it again with the latest EasyTutu release.

I vaguely remember the events of the game, and was thinking that I'll need to wait until late in the game to complete the high-level TotSC stuff, but that Chapter 7 perhaps isn't the best time. I mean, the Flaming Fist are after you because of what you (perhaps allegedly) did to the Iron Throne leaders in Candlekeep, so why would you be casually doing other quests, especially the Mendas quest that requires you to visit the Counting House in Baldur's Gate? No, Chapter 7 doesn't seem to me the most logical time to be doing the TotSC quests.

So what about at the start of Chapter 6? You've just been teleported to Candlekeep, so can you choose not to enter there just yet, and instead head to Ulgoth's Beard to do the quests there (including returning to Baldur's Gate to enter the Counting House)? Would this be a more logical time to do the TotSC quests, from a story point of view?

Or maybe it'd be better to do them before speaking to Duke Eltan for the very first time i.e. after completing Scar's Ogre Mage quest.

#2 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:22 PM

I would say after doing all of Scar's quests is a good time...though you can leave Durlags Tower till chapter 7 if you wanted

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#3 Sir_Carnifex

Sir_Carnifex

Scourge of Kobolds

• 290 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:01 PM

Considering that you have an important quest to accomplish when you are transported to Candlekeep, I don't think that it would be a good time to go traipsing off on other adventures.

If you do it in chapter seven while being hunted by the Flaming Fist, remember that they believe you to be in the city. So, going off to different areas could be something to do to avoid the Fist in the Baldur's Gate.

But realistically, I can't think of too many good role-playing reasons (other than all-out greed) to do quests like Durlag's Tower.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." - Herm Albright

#4 MrToughGuy

MrToughGuy
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 01:15 AM

I always complete everything (inside and outside Baldur's Gate), with the exception of the first trek through the Iron Throne tower, then I go and do all the TotSC stuff, then return to enter the IT tower (after which, you're teleported to Candlekeep). In my opinion, that is the latest point in the game where you can do the extra quests, without interfering with the "Stop Sarevok and the Iron Throne!" storyline. (In fact, I just completed TotSC last night, my first time using EasyTutu and damned if Aec didn't shrug off my usual tactics for beating him! :angry: )

Edited by MrToughGuy, 02 September 2008 - 01:18 AM.

Posted Image

#5 MrToughGuy

MrToughGuy
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 01:17 AM

But realistically, I can't think of too many good role-playing reasons (other than all-out greed) to do quests like Durlag's Tower.

Greed works for me! :devil:

#6 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:44 AM

The last couple of times I've played, I've done the TotSC stuff before entering Baldur's Gate for the first time. Obviously, you will have to nip in to get the sea charts, after doing Durlag's Tower but I make that a flying visit (it's hard because you need to go all the way round that pain in the butt wall to get the Baalor Ale, so I try to avoid running into Lothander in the middle section. It's possible - he only tags you if you walk through the market).
That way you can get the horrible tower out of the way (did I say how much I loathe Durlag's Tower?) before getting to the good stuff of Baldur's Gate and the Iron Throne.

#7 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:33 AM

Storywise, simply imagine that you do it after killing Sarevok...
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan

#8 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:08 AM

After giving the matter some more thought, I reckon the best thing to do in Chapter 5 is first complete the non-plot BG city quests, then do the TotSC stuff (you'll be higher level after doing all the city stuff, so capable of dealing with the TotSC quests), then investigate the Seven Suns for Scar (the first of his quests), then do his second quest, then speak to Duke Eltan and do his quest/get teleported to Candlekeep for Chapter 6.

It makes little sense to do Scar's two quests then delay talking to Duke Eltan, since logically these things should happen one after another. But when it comes to Scar having asked you to investigate the Seven Suns for him (who've done some odd business deals over the past few weeks) there's certainly no great emergency apparent, so not investigating it immediately is perfectly logical.

#9 Dharker

Dharker
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 03:49 AM

Storywise, simply imagine that you do it after killing Sarevok...

I actually do do that, using BGT! It's the only time to do it that really makes sense to me.

#10 Nuuskamuikkunen

Nuuskamuikkunen
  • 207 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 03:55 AM

You can do that with BGT? Oh yeah....I am such an idiot. Last time I was annoyed at how TotSC fits nowhere within the timeline and didn't even consider using one of BGTs nice advantages :P

Edited by Nuuskamuikkunen, 07 September 2008 - 03:56 AM.

#11 Sammi Somara

Sammi Somara

Loses her superpowers when exposed to chicken fat.

• 657 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:41 PM

If you do it in chapter seven while being hunted by the Flaming Fist, remember that they believe you to be in the city. So, going off to different areas could be something to do to avoid the Fist in the Baldur's Gate.

Yeah, I agree. That's when I did the TotSC quests, and with that exact reasoning. It's ...er....roleplaying-ly sound.
Also good from a technical aspect because any earlier it may be too difficult. Seriously, those quests are HAAAAARD.
Err...Are paladins even allowed to say 'ass'?
-Cernd

I hate Elminster!
(Proud Member of the We Hate Elminster Club)

The Maesters of Yevon: Putting the Spira back into 'conspiracy'.

Four Ways To Describe Sigil: The Cage, The Center of the Multiverse, The City of Doors, Doughnut on a Stick.

#12 Kellen

Kellen

Earn a person's heart, and they'll die a thousand deaths

• 7092 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 07:56 PM

Yeah, I agree. That's when I did the TotSC quests, and with that exact reasoning. It's ...er....roleplaying-ly sound.
Also good from a technical aspect because any earlier it may be too difficult. Seriously, those quests are HAAAAARD.

Though it kinda downplays the rush of it, what with Sarevok about to be Duke-d and start a war. But let's go explore other towns, and go run around in some rather old, deadly, and creepy tower. Just my thoughts.
"She could resist temptation. Really she could. Sometimes. At least when it wasn't tempting." - Calli Slythistle
"She was a fire, and I had no doubt that she had already done her share of burning." - Lord Firael Algathrin
"Most assume that all the followers of Lathander are great morning people. They're very wrong." - Tanek of Cloakwood

we are all adults playing a fantasy together, - cmorgan