• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:24 PM

I just finished reading the first Mass Effect book: Revelation, which is a prequel to the game. I can't say it was bad; on the contrary, I thought it was pretty decent (nothing like the BG novels crap). Drew Karpyshyn (the lead writer of Mass Effect) wrote the book as well, and while the writing sometimes was a little bit awkward, I enjoyed it.

I liked the added background and story to Captain (or Lieutenant) Anderson. I thought he was one of the more intriguing characters in the game, so I was pleased to read more about him. I liked that Saren's background and motives were expanded as well, and to get a chance to see how he used to be before he became what he was ingame.

Spoiler:
Spoiler

Anyone else read it? Share your thoughts. :)

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#2 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 01:21 AM

I think he (Drew Karpshyn) is definitely more of a games writer than a novel writer. While I liked the characters, story and (most of) the plot, I found the actual writing to be somewhat lacklustre.

For me, definitely more of a "travelling" novel than a novel to savor, but I liked it all the same. I especially liked Kahlee, and I hope to see more of her in the second novel or the next game!