• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:42 AM

Reading walkthroughs and forum posts, many find the dreaded Thrasher Maws to be one of the most difficult enemies in Mass Effect.

I have a slightly different perspective. Once you get the hang of taking them down, they actually become quite easy to kill. It's possible to defeat one without getting hit even once, and that doesn't change when the difficulty level for the game goes up--sure, they get more health and their attacks get stronger, but if you don't get hit, all that happens is that it takes longer to take them down. Subsequently, I'd actually that TMs are among the easiest enemies on the Insanity difficulty level. Combined with the high XP you get, I actually go around looking for them.

My tactics used to involve "circling" around the TM with the Mako so it couldn't get a clear shot at me with its toxic spit. However, I found that it was difficult to stay within the right radius--so it disappeared and appeared again, which made me have to adapt to its new position. The constant re-appearing also gives an increased chance of the TM to pop up right where you are, which can result in an instant death.

Now, as soon as I find the TM, I stay in one place beyond the reach of its melee attack, but close enough so it doesn't disappear. When it spits at me, I simply jump up and let it pass under the Mako. When landing, I can get one rocket and some machine gun fire in before I have to jump again. The whole procedure is actually quite rhythmic.

For extra flavor and the additional XP, I normally jump out and finish the TM on foot. The trick here is to keep moving sideways and not get hit, as one spit will kill you--even if it's not a direct hit.

Do you find Thrasher Maws difficult to beat? What are your tricks for defeating these enemies?

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#2 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:45 AM

I don't find them hard at all, and do pretty much what you describe-circle strafing is a classic first-person shooter tactic, and it works beautifully on the maws. Just don't ever stop moving.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#3 Jazhara7

Jazhara7
  • 715 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 12:45 PM

I never actually manage to take down the Thresher Maws with the Mako, as for some reason they trash it within seconds if I try. So these days I simply park the Mako, maybe fire the cannon at it once, and then take it out on foot.

Condsidering that, I agree: They're really quite easy once you get the hang of it. Especially if you have biotics.

- :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hey, are you hungry?

I Hate Elminster!
(proud member of the We Hate Elminster club)

#4 Anaximander

Anaximander
  • 55 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:45 PM

Now, as soon as I find the TM, I stay in one place beyond the reach of its melee attack, but close enough so it doesn't disappear. When it spits at me, I simply jump up and let it pass under the Mako. When landing, I can get one rocket and some machine gun fire in before I have to jump again. The whole procedure is actually quite rhythmic.

I do almost exactly that, except I don't jump over the spit attack. I just roll forward to dodge it, then roll backward to dodge the next one. As you say, it is very rhythmic. Once you get the timing down, it's almost pathetically easy.
You have defeated The Purpose!!!
Experience gained: 50000
Gold gained: 1000
You gain a level!!!

#5 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:08 PM

I do almost exactly that, except I don't jump over the spit attack. I just roll forward to dodge it, then roll backward to dodge the next one. As you say, it is very rhythmic. Once you get the timing down, it's almost pathetically easy.

Yeah, exactly. The same tactics can be applied to Geth Armatures/Colossuses and turrents, as well--at least if there's only one of them. ;)

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#6 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 02:45 AM

Yeahh, best idea seems to be to dodge only as much as strictly necessary.

Hm,... Now, the Gold Standard Class Builds guide over at mass effect wiki claims that a level 6 soldier/shock trooper with heavy colossus armor and maxed immunity can riflebutt a treshermaw and lvie, and at level 60, it'll take the worm 7 melee attacks (more effective than ranged) to take you down...
Anyone try that? .p

On Insanity difficulty, at Level 60, with the right gear equipped and Master Immunity activated, this build can:

* Play bloody knuckles with a trio of krogan for more than twenty seconds.
* Win a duel with a Geth Colossus at twenty paces.
* Survive 36 direct hits when being simultaneously fired upon by two Alliance Heavy Turrets while wearing Colossus X heavy armor.**
* Survive 55 direct hits when being simultaneously fired upon by two Alliance Heavy Turrets while wearing Colossus X heavy armor modded with a single Energized Plating X mod.**
* Rifle butt a thresher maw and live to tell the tale.

Edited by WeeRLegion, 26 September 2008 - 02:51 AM.

#7 Anaximander

Anaximander
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 05:10 PM

I haven't tried it, but it's not hard to believe. A soldier with full points in Combat Armor with Master Immunity active reduces all damage down to something like 4 or 6 percent of what it would normally be. Combine that with the highest hit points in the game, and you've got a nearly indestructible character.

I currently have a game going on insanity with a soldier, but he's only level 40-something right now. I kind of lost interest in the game since I got distracted by Force Unleashed and The Witcher Enhanced Edition, so I don't know when or if I'll ever get that character to level 60 so I can try some of that.
You have defeated The Purpose!!!
Experience gained: 50000
Gold gained: 1000
You gain a level!!!