Photo

Baldur's gate & Neverwinter Nights creatures

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#1 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 02:38 PM

For bigger fullview size of my drawings, visit my DA account!

Inspired by Baldur's Gate Winter Wolf :)

A winter wolf is an intelligent version of a wolf and inhabits cold regions such as tundra or cold forests. It grows to about eight feet (2.4m) in length, four and a half feet (1.4m) at the shoulder, and weighs around 450 pounds (204kg). They usually have blue eyes. Winter wolves live in packs of around three to five, sometimes working together with evil creatures like frost giants. They speak Giant and Common, and have darkvision to sixty feet (18.3m) as well as low-light vision. (Forgotten Realms wiki)

Made in Octomber 2008 with charcoal and coloured charcoal.

Winter wolf
Winter_Wolf_by_Silinde_Ar_Feiniel.jpg

This is Azsil, my imp familiar. He greatly enjoys changing form and playing mind games with its master. :)

Based on the one Epantiras draw for my "baldurization". Do you recognise him? :lol: Dedicated to Flysoup and Epantiras who helped me in my "baldurization"! Special thanks :hug: to Epantiras for her overall help and guiding. :D

Made during October-November 2008 by digital coloring my sketch.

Credits: Brushes used from Obsidian Dawn http://www.obsidiandawn.com

Imp familiar
Imp_Familiar_by_Silinde_Ar_Feiniel.jpg

Based on Neverinter Nights 2 Bone spider.

Info: Necromancers through the ages have labored ceaselessly to bring about undead perfection. Why they simply cannot be satisfied with such perfection in life itself is something of much speculation, but everyone pretty much agrees that bone spiders are perhaps the worst answer to undead perfection ever.

The bone spider is a construct made from specially treated bones - and even more irritating, the necromancer laced the bone spider's fangs with a deadly magical poison, so that its sting is even greater than its living counterpart. Fortunately, its intelligence is still that of a feral spider, except with the ability to understand such simple commands as "stay," "sit," and "stop playing with the halfling's corpse." (NWN2 wiki)

Worked hard on low opacity and flaw brush techniques to accomplish this one. I am more than happy with the result! :D

Made in November 2008 by digital coloring my sketch.

Credits: Brushes used from Obsidian Dawn http://www.obsidiandawn.com/

Bone spider
Bone_spider_SHS.JPG

This is my first photo-manipulation based on a pic of a cat I've taken some years before :D

Created on February 2009

Cat familiar
cat_familiar_SHS.JPG

This is the second version of cat familiar:
Ethereal cat
Ethereal_cat_SHS.JPG

Info: Nightmares are proud equine creatures with hearts as black and evil as the dark abysses from which they come. They dwell on the plane of Hades. A nightmare is a wild and restless creature. It roams the world doing evil and haunting the dreams of all who dare cross it. Although it has no wings, the creature can fly with great speed. It seldom allows anyone to ride it, but particularly powerful and evil creatures have been known to make mounts of nightmares. A nightmare is about the size of a light war horse. (D&D monster manual)

I always wanted to draw a Nightmare so i finaly made it! :D

Made in March 2009 by digital coloring my sketch.

Nightmare
Nightmare_new_SHS.JPG

Info: Death tyrants are a truly reprehensible undead form of beholders, similar to zombies, that retain some innate magical abilities. They are often used by powerful wizards as guardians; almost never being encountered near other beholders, who find them abhorrent. (Forgotten Realms Wiki)

Made in March 2009 by digital coloring my sketch.

Death Tyrant
Death_Tyrant_SHS.JPG

White Dragon--> for more info see selene, the fallen avariel project
White_Dragon_SHS.JPG

Info: Faerie Dragons are little dragons, the size of a pseudodragon or a wyrmling with butterfly (fairy) wings on their back. Although they are small and cute, they can be very powerful. Most faerie dragons are Chaotic Good, they have pure heart but they are very playful. (wikipedia)

Made in march 2009

Credits: brushes used from Obsidian Dawn http://www.obsidiandawn.com/

Faerie Dragon
Faerie_Dragon_SHS.JPG

Info: Gold dragons are the most powerful of the metallic dragons, and the most dedicated to defeating evil. They spend the bulk of their lives in human form, seeking out evil and punishing wrongdoers to the best of its considerable abilities. Its typical mode of operation runs roughly along the lines of a sting operation: the dragon will listen for stories of dangerous or evil creatures or persons, then reveals its true form and metes out punishment. They prefer to turn villains over to law enforcement if available, but will ultimately take whatever actions they deem necessary in order to see justice served. They are best summarized as the paladins of the draconic world.

Gold dragons can often be seen talking and teaching their acquired wisdom to humans, elves, aasimar and other non-hostile races. When forced to fight, gold dragons prefer to converse with intelligent creatures, using Intimidate and Sense Motive to gain the upper hand. Their attitude towards visibly evil characters is not as forgiving though, as it will try to eradicate any evil aspects in its territory. (Forgotten Realms Wiki)

I tried some new thingys with this one. I've made some anatomical mistakes in the wings but i'm still learning ^^; It really took me countless hours to complete it...

Created in April 2009

Gold Dragon
Gold_Dragon_SHS.JPG

Info: Also known as shadowdrakes or darkwyrms, Styx dragons haunt the putrid waters of the River Styx throughout its nearly infinite length. One of the few creatures immune to the harmful effects of the river, Styx dragons swim with impunity across the top layers of all the Lower Planes, feasting on fiends and any other creature they can find and catch. (Draconomicon)

I tried a speedpaint-like technique on this one. It has no great details but I think it's more artistic and of course a really pleasure to make! I think i'll keep to that technique and i hope i will get better with practice. Posted Image

Made in May 2009

Styx Dragon
Styx_Dragon_SHS.JPG

Info: Vecna (veck-nuh), deity of secrets, was once a
mortal king who became a lich. He usually
appears as a lich who is missing his left hand
and left eye. He lost his hand and eye in a
fight with his traitorous lieutenant, Kas. Vecna
rules that which is not meant to be known and that
which people wish to keep secret.

Dogma:
Vecna plots the destruction of the other deities so that he may take the world for himself. According to Vecna, there exists a secret that can destroy any being, no matter how powerful that being is. In the middle of every heart hides a seed of darkness kept hidden from all but the self. Finding that secret evil and exploiting it is the key to undoing one's enemies. Strength and power, says Vecna, come from knowing and controlling what others do not. He also admonishes his followers never to reveal all that they know. (D&D deities and demigods)

From PS:T description:
"It is said that Vecna was one of the Planes' mightiest sorcerers, able to draw life from dust and send it back again, extinguish lives with a glance, and make the earth shudder beneath his touch. He was said to be so powerful that when the end of his life drew near, death refused to take him into its kingdom.

And so Vecna died, yet lived on.

Abandoned by death, Vecna became the master of a vast kingdom on a prime world called Oerth (Greyhawk). Neither kind nor just, Lord Vecna's rule was one of great horror and suffering, and it is said his reach was so great that even the Powers of Oerth feared to cross him for fearing of drawing his eye.

Yet, while Vecna's gaze traveled ever outward in search of new conquests, he failed to see his own end when it came for him... in the form of his lieutenant, Kas.

As was fitting for Vecna's left hand servant, the arch-lich had fashioned a terrible weapon for his lieutenant as a symbol of his authority. Vecna made this weapon with such skill it is said that part of the sorcerer entered the blade, and it was this sliver of Vecna that gave the blade its life and its treacherous nature. Where once there was lifeless steel, there became thought, intent, and, perhaps most horrible of all, a voice.

The sword whispered treacheries to the ambitious Kas, night upon night, month upon month, year upon year, until one night, the remains of Kas' discipline was seduced by the rippling edge of the blade. Convinced by his blade that he was Vecna's superior, Kas confronted his dread master upon his Desiccated Throne, and the two of them fought a terrible battle.

During the battle, Kas was killed, but before he fell, his blade had dismembered his former master, scattering his remains so that no one may draw them together again. And so it has come to pass that pieces of Vecna have made their way across the Planes..."

As it turns out Vecna ended up being sent to the Demiplane of Dread (Ravenloft) where he became one of the Lords. He was trapped in Ravenloft for a number of years until finally figuring a way to escape in the module Die Vecna Die. In it Vecna has devised a way to simultaneously ascend to full-fledged godhood (he was a demi-power), escape from his prison in the Demiplane of Dread, and usurp arguably the most powerful entity in the multiverse: the Lady of Pain. To carry out his elaborate plot, Vecna has lured his old rival demigod Iuz to the Demiplane of Dread. Iuz hopes to destroy Vecna and claim the Maimed Lord's power for himself, but Vecna intends to turn the tables on his nemesis. He fuses Iuz's power with himself and (while his divine status is still in flux) takes off to Sigil where he gives the Lady of Pain a good b!tch slap and starts remaking the multiverse in his own image. Eventually the players in the module stop him (with the help of the Hand and Eye of Vecna, which gives the players some resistance to his godly power) and Vecna is kicked out of Sigil. The fallout results in the multiverse looking a little different (explaining the changes from AD&D to 3e cosmology of the planes), Vecna still a greater god, and back in Greyhawk after all his years in exile.

Made in May 2009

Vecna, deity of secrets
Vecna__deity_of_secrets_SHS.JPG

Deep in the underdark, in a hidden crystal cave, a Purple Dragon watches the birth of her wyrmlings :)

It is said that the true color of Purple Dragons can only be seen by the light of the amethyst crystals lying deep in the underdark...

Info: Long, lean bodied dragons with deep purple to midnight black scales. These fancy themselves to be the lords of all dragonkind, believing themselves arisen from the long dead sister of Tiamat. They are among the most intelligent of dragons, able to gather and control vast numbers of minions. Their energy-related attacks make them powerful fighters. (wikipedia)

Purple dragons, also known as deep dragons, are possibly the least well known of the chromatic dragon family. Most surface creatures have no knowledge of the existence of purple dragons. Many of those that have heard of purple dragons dismiss such stories as myth or misconception. A purple dragon is a talented manipulator of other creatures. It achieves control through lies, misdirection, and direct mental domination. As much as purple dragons enjoy controlling other creatures, however, they enjoy the thrill of exploration even more. (Draconomicon)

Another speedpaint trying some new stuff...

This is my last drawing of 2009. Hope in 2010 I'll improve more! :D

Purple Dragon http://silinde-ar-fe...ragon-149427818

I'd love to hear your comments! :D

Edited by Silinde Ar-Feiniel, 07 January 2010 - 01:45 AM.

If you want to alter reality, you must first escape from it.

My Deviant Art account

#2 Icendoan

Icendoan

"An Infinite Deal of Nothing"

• 1723 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 02:43 PM

Wow! That is great, I love it!

Icen
Proud member of the 'I HATE Elminster!' Club!

Mods in development: Keeping Yoshimo

#3 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 02:49 PM

Wow! That is great, I love it!

Icen

Thank you so much Icen! :hug: It is actually my first ever work with coloured charcoal so your words mean so much to me! :)

My Deviant Art account

#4 Big Poppa

Big Poppa
  • Modder
  • 242 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 03:00 PM

Very nice. make him or her a bit nasty in the face next time. I always envision wolves snarling

Quality over quantity baby

BG - A Tale Retold

Facebook, Richard Haines, westmidlands, england

#5 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 03:11 PM

Very nice. make him or her a bit nasty in the face next time. I always envision wolves snarling

Lol, i'll have that in mind next time. :D Thank you very much Big Poppa!

My Deviant Art account

#6 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 03:19 PM

Nice.
The colors and the wolf's body and head and the forest and everything is quite good, only the legs seem kinda awkward, a bit too straight, narrow and long at a point.
But good work nonentheless. :)

#7 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 04:27 PM

Nice.
The colors and the wolf's body and head and the forest and everything is quite good, only the legs seem kinda awkward, a bit too straight, narrow and long at a point.
But good work nonentheless. :)

Thank you very much WeeRLegion! The view point of the drawing is somewhat strange (you're supposed to be somewhat north and right). Also the front left foot is lifted up in order to make a movement. Considering that and the fact that a winter wolf grows about 8 feet long and stands about 4½ feet at the shoulder, it weighs about 450 pounds and given depth, i think that the length of the feet is somewhat right. Well, nobody's perfect! lol I seriously consider your point of course and be sure it will help me a lot next time! I hope that with practice and your advices i'll be much better! :lol:

My Deviant Art account

#8 Jenne

Jenne

Assault of The Mighty Feet is coming, beware!

• 85 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:01 PM

I like it. But still, I have some critique (hope it is constructive :P ). The front left leg of the wolf is somehow not right - when I first saw the picture, I thought that the wolf had only one front leg and three rear ones :) I think that the elbow (is it elbow? Do animals have elbows?) isnt't much visible.

Other than that, the wolf is great. I love his face and expression, it's so... wolfy :)

Elminster this, Elminster that. Give me 2000 years and a pointy hat and I will kick his arse.

My personal blog - in Czech. You've been warned.
My DA account, although it isn't tended too much.

Posted Image

#9 Neferit

Neferit

In the name of Gaider, we fight!

• 414 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:52 PM

Agree with Jenne about the "elbow". I, too, thought the wolf has only one front leg :blink: And the left rear leg seems a bit strange to me as well :blink:

(Well, I'm not saying that I would draw it better - I would be lying, if I said so. But the leg really looks strange to me.)
Heck no, b - I used the word the way I use things like "twitter", and "iPod" - my first inclination is to ask "what birdcall are you studying?" and I think of "I pod, You (singular) pod, He pods, She pods, They pod, You (plural) pod, We pod..."

Writings ►☼◄ Visual Shiny Pretties ►☼◄ Another Writings

►☼◄

You think you still have some brain in your head?

►☼◄►☼◄

#10 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

Living on Wings of Dreams

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:54 PM

I believe Jenne and Neferit took the proverbial words from my mouth...
It is beautifull, if for the odd shoulder and leg positions

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.
However, as we all know, Evil never really sleeps.

Sentences marking (my) life:

Winds of change... Endure them, and in Enduring grow Stronger
It takes a fool to look for logic in a man's heart
Never question the sanity of the insane
The Harmony of Life is Chaos
Living on Wings of Dreams

(1st march 2009) SHS women over me:
Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly
Noctalys: you are adorable :P

~~ I love it, and I am humbled! Yay! ~~

#11 Lythari

Lythari

Fabricati diem, Pvnk

• 366 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 12:15 AM

I agree with Jenne about the leg. Next time try to make it more in the front, it won't crash with the perspective and will look more natural. :)
But besides that, it is simply wonderful. What else could I say? :wub: The colouring and that dark forest in the background, it gives that specific feeling about it.
I'm waiting for more. :)
I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. *I* TURN UP ONLY ONCE.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay)

My deviantArt account / my dragon lair

#12 Aliya

Aliya

Pink-Eyed Menace!

• 1619 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 12:54 AM

:woot: I like it! So beautiful! But you need to fix the elbow. Like Jenne said. :D

#13 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 12:56 AM

Jenne, Neferit and Deathsangel thank you so much for your comments! Your critique is very constructive and thank you for trying to help! :hug:
I need to practice more on the legs, so i hope next time i'll make a progress. ^_^ Also, thank you for your copliments and your support! :blush:

My Deviant Art account

#14 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:05 AM

I agree with Jenne about the leg. Next time try to make it more in the front, it won't crash with the perspective and will look more natural. :)
But besides that, it is simply wonderful. What else could I say? :wub: The colouring and that dark forest in the background, it gives that specific feeling about it.
I'm waiting for more. :)

Thak you so much for your words Lythari! :wub: I'll try to use your help next time. Well, your words give me a specific feeling to continue, so i'll try more Baldur's Gate fan art for sure! :)

My Deviant Art account

#15 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:08 AM

:woot: I like it! So beautiful! But you need to fix the elbow. Like Jenne said. :D

Thank you Aliya! I'll try to fix it next time! :D

My Deviant Art account

#16 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:24 AM

I hope you don't mind; I felt like illustrating my previous point. :)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Wolf legs seem to me to be of a bit sturdier design than yours, with something of an downwards tapering shape that ends just above the paw.

But like I said, it's still a fine work. :)

EDIT: Oh yeah, www.corbis.com is a good site to visit if you're looking for a few study models of pretty much anything natural that isn't overly copyrighted. ^^

Edited by WeeRLegion, 24 October 2008 - 01:26 AM.

#17 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:47 AM

I hope you don't mind; I felt like illustrating my previous point. :)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Wolf legs seem to me to be of a bit sturdier design than yours, with something of an downwards tapering shape that ends just above the paw.

But like I said, it's still a fine work. :)

EDIT: Oh yeah, www.corbis.com is a good site to visit if you're looking for a few study models of pretty much anything natural that isn't overly copyrighted. ^^

Wow! :o Thank you WeeRLegion! Your illustration has been most helpfull! I'll sure use nature images as references at some point next time! :)

My Deviant Art account

#18 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:35 AM

Imp familiar pic added! :D (see the first post) I'd love to hear your comments! :)

My Deviant Art account

#19 Aliya

Aliya

Pink-Eyed Menace!

• 1619 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 07:01 AM

Kinda spooky I think. It's a bit difficult to see the imp, itself. Bu I like it! :D

#20 Silinde Ar-Feiniel

Silinde Ar-Feiniel
  • 488 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 07:18 AM

Kinda spooky I think. It's a bit difficult to see the imp, itself. Bu I like it! :D

He's meant to be chaotic! :D So, I'll take spooky as a copliment too! :lol:

My Deviant Art account