Photo

Crashes when entering 'rest areas'

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Nobel Peace Prize

Nobel Peace Prize
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 04:51 PM

So, my copy of Torment keeps crashing to desktop. I have no idea why, but I figured that someone here might be able to help. It crashes only when entering certain areas (or on certain conditions).

The Flophouse in the Hive, for instance. Also when entering the secret room in the Mortuary (the tomb area accessible by the finger-bone portal near Deionarra, and also accessible through the Hive). The Aoskaran Temple Remains in the Alley of Dangerous Angles, as well. Finally, in Mebbeth's hut, the game will crash only after asking her to rest (as opposed to asking her to heal the party).

These are the only places I've observed the crashes so far. Usually after clicking the door to enter, the game will autosave, then crash while loading the area. I have all three of Qwinn's (and scient's?) mods installed, the fixpack, tweakpack and UB. I also have bigg's Widescreen mod (set to 1280x1024) with Ghostdog's UI. Given how many of the problems are 'rest' related, I should probably also point out that I don't have the 'rest anywhere' part of the tweakpack installed. I don't think these problems are related to any of the mods though.

Anyways, hope someone can help.

#2 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 05:40 PM

These are the only places I've observed the crashes so far. Usually after clicking the door to enter, the game will autosave, then crash while loading the area. I have all three of Qwinn's (and scient's?) mods installed, the fixpack, tweakpack and UB.

Can't be scient's fault. None of his work has been released yet.

I also have bigg's Widescreen mod (set to 1280x1024) with Ghostdog's UI. Given how many of the problems are 'rest' related, I should probably also point out that I don't have the 'rest anywhere' part of the tweakpack installed. I don't think these problems are related to any of the mods though.

I can't duplicate this on a normal install... but I do note that I was once sent a save game where behavior similar to this seemed to be happening. That game was also suffering some serious issues with banters misfiring, and being unable to talk to all party members (the real reason it got sent to me). Just to eliminate that... can you talk to all your party members and establish that the engine banter system isn't causing you problems?

Qwinn

#3 Nobel Peace Prize

Nobel Peace Prize
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:34 AM

No problems talking to other party members whatsoever. I went through almost the entire Unbroken Circle string with Dak'kon. Morte works fine as well. I have had minor trouble getting some NPCs to talk to me, though. I'll click on them, and TNO will stay exactly where he is and no dialogue will initiate. But I've always been able to solve this with a reload, and it's fairly infrequent. Would it be helpful if I gave you a savegame?

#4 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:46 AM

I couldn't load it, I'm afraid. My video card doesn't support 1280x1024 :( Otherwise, yes, I'd love to check it out.

Qwinn

#5 Nobel Peace Prize

Nobel Peace Prize
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 02:01 PM

I've reproduced the problem at 640x480 as well. If you still want a savegame, where should I send it?

#6 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 04:38 PM

Did you start a new game when you set the resolution to 1280x1024 ?

#7 Nobel Peace Prize

Nobel Peace Prize
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:47 PM

Did you start a new game when you set the resolution to 1280x1024 ?

No. I switched resolutions a couple times throughout. Could that be the problem?

#8 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:53 PM

Yes. Almost assuredly so.

Ghost, this seems to be a common problem. It might be a good idea to add a note to your readme warning that changing resolution mid-game will cause game crashes when entering areas that were previously entered, especially small ones.

Actually, somewhere along the line I heard that either -increasing- or -decreasing- resolutions might not cause a problem, whereas taking it in the other direction would. Can't remember the source.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 01 December 2008 - 05:56 PM.

#9 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:58 PM

Yep, you need to start a new game if you change resolution with the widescreen mod, because if you continue from an old save the game has various crashes in small areas. It's stated both in Bigg's readme and mine.

#10 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:30 PM

Ah, didn't realize it was already in both readmes, okie, sorry, never mind me.

Qwinn

#11 Nobel Peace Prize

Nobel Peace Prize
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:25 PM

Oh, goddamnit. I guess that solves that. Time to start a new game. Thanks for your time anyways, both of you.

Edited by Nobel Peace Prize, 01 December 2008 - 08:25 PM.

#12 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:30 PM

I'll be putting out another release with a TON of new fixes in the Fixpack, and a ton of new and restored material in Unfinished Business, pretty soon (over next two weeks) so you might want to hold off. Just sayin' :)

Qwinn