Photo

BiG World Setup

• Please log in to reply
466 replies to this topic

#41 Headbanger

Headbanger
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:23 PM

I recently purchased the 4 in 1 boxset so I decided to install it. I did full installs and patches.
I decided on the minimal install because I am developing (both Tutu and BGT).
I installed Tutu first and did not add anything except what I am developing. Tutu looks ok.
I then installed BGT and installed some of the projects I am working on.
When I tested BGT I did not get any prologe text nor did I get any dialogs.
I am thinking the english language pack did not install properly on my minimal install.

Headbanger.

#42 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:22 PM

Hi Headbanger,

I think your post and my reply should be move to the BGT forum. For BGT you need the full or custom install with all the boxes checked.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#43 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:52 PM

I've started BiG_World_Setup_2.0.1.exe. I selected Standard Installation to be as much as possible bug free. Setup downloaded all the mods, and after that extracted them in BG2 SoA folder. After the extracting it asked me do I want to install some mods, on wich I replied NO (it did that for couple of mods).

Why do you choose NO? Don't you want the mods anymore you selected before?

After that I started all of the games and expansions and made quicksaves for each of them.
So this should be all steps on 13 pages of Big World v6.0 english.pdf document. Currently I'm on page 14 Automated Installation - Avoid problems.

The guide is not updated with the new BWS, because the BWS was released after the BWP v6.0. We'll change that with the next update. Meanwhile use the first post in our recent thread.

Can someone tell me what to do next in order to continue installation? Do I need to click on every file that was downloaded (in specific order), or the mega mod is installed, or I messed somewhere along in the process?

If you start the BWS it downloads your mods and extract them. After that, it starts automatically the BiG World Install.bat, so normally you don't need to do anything. But if you abort the BiG World Install.bat after the BWS, you can start it manually again. At this time the BWS has does all the work and the Install.bat is your next step.

Greetings Leomar
A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#44 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:11 PM

1. When I updated to 2.0.1 of the BWS I tried a new install and it said I did not have a backup (but I had already done that but it was created with 2.0.0).

Should be o.k. and you can use your clean install with the new version. We need to change the BWS check for that. Thanks for your report.

I updated to 2.0.1 by simple running the setup and told it to overwrite everything. This is correct?

Is correct.

2. When you first start BWS and it checks for updates etc. you have the option to click continue. I tried to click that one or two times before the updates were ready but after the downloads WERE ready it forwarded me one or two pages ahead (my clicks on continue were stored in the memory somehow).

You clicked to fast and to often. Everytime do only one click and wait for a reaction of the BWS. The help text in each window explains when the BWS will go further.

Greetings Leomar
A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
- Chevalier

#45 SirArnoldTomen80

SirArnoldTomen80
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:37 AM

This is the second time I'm installing mega mod in two days and the problem is the same.

It says "Romance Cheats could not be installed". In the zip file I'm sending You screen images of the problem(s), Weidu.log, and BiG World Debug.txt.

In first (Romance Cheats1.jpg) image You can see the message. After I pressed "a" and ENTER (as it says in BiG World v6.0 english.pdf, that I should select a for this question), couple of ENTER clicks later I recieved an error message that Romance Cheats cannot be installed and the installer is moving further. Is this a critical error? Will I be able to play Mega Mod? What bad can happen because of this? Can this be fixed now, after installation?

On the second image (InstallerMSG2.JPG) I recieved a message "IFSBPv177.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."
Shortly after that the installatin finished. What does this message mean? Is it critical error? (the same questions as above apply for this)

Also I'm sending You Weidu.log and Big World Debug.txt files as it says I should in Read Me, if something unpredicted during the installation happens.

So, can I start playing now or do I reinstall, but this is already happening the second time. What do I do?

Thank You.

Attached Files

#46 nikita

nikita
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:29 PM

Dabus, thank you so much for this easy set up! It is working very well for me so far with no problems. However, I am wondering if there is a way to tell which components were selected by the program from the BG2 Tweaks? A few of my favorites were definitely not selected, and I am wondering if there is an easy way of fixing this? Can I simply run the Tweaks and choose my missing components? I really don't want to mess up a good thing, and the things I miss are not earth shatteringly important ( no icons covering my portraits, infinite stuff stacking) Also, I am not far enough into the game to know for sure yet, but I suspect multiple strongholds and concurrent romances are not activated. While this would not completely ruin this playthrough, it would be disseapointing. So many NPC's, so little time....

#47 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:11 PM

It says "Romance Cheats could not be installed". In the zip file I'm sending You screen images of the problem(s), Weidu.log, and BiG World Debug.txt.

In first (Romance Cheats1.jpg) image You can see the message. After I pressed "a" and ENTER (as it says in BiG World v6.0 english.pdf, that I should select a for this question), couple of ENTER clicks later I recieved an error message that Romance Cheats cannot be installed and the installer is moving further. Is this a critical error? Will I be able to play Mega Mod? What bad can happen because of this? Can this be fixed now, after installation?

At the moment your megamod has a problem with the BG2 Tweaks Romance-Cheats and you can't install it. It is no critical error for your megamod, because of the error, the component is not installed and all is fine. To find out what's wrong, can you attach your setup-bg2tweaks.DEBUG please?

On the second image (InstallerMSG2.JPG) I recieved a message "IFSBPv177.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."
Shortly after that the installatin finished. What does this message mean? Is it critical error? (the same questions as above apply for this)

Oh, thanks for the report. There is a little mistake in the Install.bat. We'll correct this. At this point of the installation, the Install.bat copies the hotfixes. You don't need to do anything, because you have not installed Big Picture. So all is fine.

Also I'm sending You Weidu.log and Big World Debug.txt files as it says I should in Read Me, if something unpredicted during the installation happens.

Yes, that is correct and with these files it is easier for us (and faster) to know what is going on. ;)

So, can I start playing now or do I reinstall, but this is already happening the second time. What do I do?

You can play your megamod. :)

Greetings Leomar

Edited by Leomar, 24 April 2009 - 08:12 PM.

- Chevalier

#48 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:33 PM

Can I simply run the Tweaks and choose my missing components?

Normally yes, but it is not tested.

Also, I am not far enough into the game to know for sure yet, but I suspect multiple strongholds and concurrent romances are not activated.

Like you can read in the other post, there is a problem with the Romance-Cheats. Until we have found out, what is going on here it looks like you can't install it. The strongholds will be installed only, if you have not installed Oversight and CliffHistory, because there a compatibility problems between them. More about it you can read in the manual.

Greetings Leomar

Edited by Leomar, 24 April 2009 - 08:34 PM.

- Chevalier

#49 SirArnoldTomen80

SirArnoldTomen80
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:18 AM

Leomar wrote:
At the moment your megamod has a problem with the BG2 Tweaks Romance-Cheats and you can't install it. It is no critical error for your megamod, because of the error, the component is not installed and all is fine. To find out what's wrong, can you attach your setup-bg2tweaks.DEBUG please?

I've uploaded the file You requested. Thanks again for the answers. I'm playing second area of BG1 (with new engine) and I like it, hope I won't run into some critical errors. :)
Cheers!

Attached Files

Edited by SirArnoldTomen80, 25 April 2009 - 08:18 AM.

#50 freestone

freestone
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:22 PM

hi all.

after posting on the other section of the forum, I note that *this* is the Place, the setup section itself, that I need to address you all for!

I cannot get through even the beginning of the setup, the 2.01!! there is the screen for unpacking and a checked box for the vbs "next step", there are no other check boxes for anything. I unpack and then even befre the unpacking is over, i get an error to the effect that the error log file cannot be read. I had to *immediately* get up and leave my computer, shut it down, as I volunteer at my senior home for the supper kitchen work.

the only thing that immediately comes to mind is maybe the error file is "read only" and i need to change that.

windows 98se.
althlon system.

I was hoping that this simple wonderful-looking program could simple-install a bunch of mods, if I were to do it by myself, there will be errors.

I sympathize with most of the seniors where i live, the tv remotes to them are incredibly daunting and most would rather have someone else do it for them, the complexity is so so so enormous! but i have my Limits too, my country background lends me more to very very simple fps shooters and slow adventure games!

?????

thanks...freestone

#51 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:49 AM

The BWS was created for windows 2000 upward, so the AutoIt3-file included in the BWS is for Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista/7.
It was not tested if it works for 95/98. It may work, but I don't know if all the function-calls that are made are supported.
I uploaded the Ansi-version for 95/98 here.
Replace the BiG World Setup\AutoIt3.exe with the file from the download.

Would be nice to hear if it works or not.

Edited by dabus, 29 April 2009 - 12:50 AM.

THINK! - It's not illegal.

#52 freestone

freestone
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 05:22 AM

The BWS was created for windows 2000 upward, so the AutoIt3-file included in the BWS is for Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista/7.
It was not tested if it works for 95/98. It may work, but I don't know if all the function-calls that are made are supported.
I uploaded the Ansi-version for 95/98 here.
Replace the BiG World Setup\AutoIt3.exe with the file from the download.

Would be nice to hear if it works or not.

thank you Dabus!

when I checked last night to find that the files were not "read only", I realized that indeed maybe win98se might be the issue. Oh I have a Vista machine all right, but the hard drive is so full that I wanted to use the backup of my older win98se 1.8 athlon system, still a good system.

the actual error is.....

line 0 [file "big world" setup\debug.au3"

error: error opening the file

as the program could not even open the file, I had then a suspicain that this here wonderful big world is not compatible with windows 98se!

I just now downloaded the file, above, and will try it out. I suppose *if* it works, then all is ok, but maybe not, if the function cells are all not supported.

sigh.

I will Go On to look at that thread for "a directory of other mega mod installers", i fear. I will try then try to report back.

freestone

#53 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 06:11 AM

If you get Debug-Errors, move into the "BiG World Setup"-directory and drop the "Big World Setup.au3" on the AutoIt3.exe - file.
This will skip the debugging-part.

#54 freestone

freestone
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:01 PM

If you get Debug-Errors, move into the "BiG World Setup"-directory and drop the "Big World Setup.au3" on the AutoIt3.exe - file.
This will skip the debugging-part.

no go!

did not work, the same error comes up and when I tried a few other things, there seemed to be file non-compatibilities!

even *if* it *did* work, i might now be afraid of further problems into the install and missing parts.

In a sense, I "wanted" just the bg2 + expansion, there are maybe 200+ hours there alone. I uninstalled the bg1 files and
then I am going to do "plan B"! that is, to use the very good looking big world pdf install guide to install
weidu step by step, a more "updated" version of the bg2 game that sat on my hard drive for two years now, unplayed!
[everything into further versions.]
ROT, TDD, SOS, CTb, maybe even the big picture. *This will keep me busy for awhile.

win98se is a dead system, but i wonder how many computers still have it on them?

So I thank you all, dabus, and all.....

now onwards to use the bg2 mods.....

freestone

#55 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 12:51 PM

I wonder where your message comes from.
The "debug.au3"-expression is only written in the Debug.au3-file, and that is not loaded when you start the BWS by dropping "BiG World Setup.au3" on the AutoIt3.exe-file.

Anyway, the Setup just fetches you the files and extracts them in a correct way.
If you do that by hand, you can have the same experience.
You just have to be a little careful.

Good luck.

#56 freestone

freestone
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:11 PM

I wonder where your message comes from.
The "debug.au3"-expression is only written in the Debug.au3-file, and that is not loaded when you start the BWS by dropping "BiG World Setup.au3" on the AutoIt3.exe-file.

Anyway, the Setup just fetches you the files and extracts them in a correct way.
If you do that by hand, you can have the same experience.
You just have to be a little careful.

Good luck.

hi Dabus, hi all.

well I red that "if one does not use the Install, the big world fix patch will work very well with just the list of
mods, in the bg2 folder, ones not actually installed.

there I made my small terrible discovery, when I clicked on the bat file, an error messege came up,
"cannot find "big world" folder, in the bg2 directory"!
!!
it is there.

*which* tells me that nothing in anything of the big world series of files and programs
will work with windows 98se!! might as well had them in "tarz format, maybe for the Mac!
an old old sytem, 98se is, but i would have thought that the "old dos" type of files would work BETTER with 98se!
no.
made for xp or even Vista.

what now?

I guess i will delete most of the files and play someday a near-vanilla bg2, alone. maybe in a few years I will have drive space free on my vista machine. then re-download them all as by then the versions will have changed.

again:
*not* compatible with windows 98se!

freestone

#57 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:41 AM

Ah, just since I read it once again:
Maybe it's the cmd and the directory-names itself.
"Dos" had this C:\progra~1 - names when you wanted to access them.
Maybe Win98 cannot handle full fledged names which stringlenth is longer than 8.

Would be fitting.

#58 freestone

freestone
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 05:24 AM

Ah, just since I read it once again:
Maybe it's the cmd and the directory-names itself.
"Dos" had this C:\progra~1 - names when you wanted to access them.
Maybe Win98 cannot handle full fledged names which stringlenth is longer than 8.

Would be fitting.

ya know, Dabus, you may be right.

every single error code messege says to the effect that "the file cannot be opened". or "read"!
and...this for each command for each program. the setup, the installer, the fixpatch.

the weidu mod installers work ok.
[I have installed, once, the "easy Tutu" mod, on the same computer, as well as many weidu mods for the bg2 game, old versions.]
so weidu works.
thus it would appear that the big world program is set to use string names longer than 8.

at least that wonderful pdf file I can use, I have strated to use it to make a large install for bg2 alone. I just installed the bg2fixpack, just an hour ago, back at my computer.

*now* to decide if I want the huge ttd...sos...big picture mods!

freestone

#59 Taimon

Taimon
  • 387 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:02 PM

The Fixpack batch program uses some features that are only available when commandline extensions are enabled.
I'm not sure, but it might be that it's only supported by the NT line of Windows (NT, 2000, XP, ...).

#60 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:23 PM

Please don't use the "BiG World Setup v2.0.1" anymore.
Here you can read why: http://www.shsforums...&...st&p=446028.

Greetings Leomar

Edited by Leomar, 02 May 2009 - 10:40 AM.

- Chevalier