Entire installation instructions for the Baldur's Gate Megamod
For German gamers you can visit our German forum.
The BiG World Project aims to merge all games of the Baldur's Gate series and the additional contents created by its community in one massive adventure, including a modification of BG1 to run BG1 with the more modern engine of BG2, plus the added functionality of ToB expansion. Now all new functions which are introduced only with BG2 are also available for BG1. This signifies, BG1 uses just like BG2 the same graphic arts, the same character kits, the same magic and the same rules. Now even for those which know BG1 by heart this is a new play experience. Besides, it also includes an additional transition from BG1 to BG2. And all this can expanded with additional mods.
BiG World Project is constantly going through changes to acquire a more stable and bug free version with every new update.
All what you need to start with is the BiG World Setup (click me).
The current instructions (in English, in German, in Spanish) are divided into the following versions:
This minimal installation is very easy and fast done. You don't need anything to know about the BG mods. Install this version to play BG1 with the BG2 game engine until the end of ToB. We recommend this version to gamers, who has not played BG, yet. Only the BiG World Setup will offer this version and it depends on the Standard-version. The following mods will be installed with this version:
BG2 Fixpack, Baldur's Gate Trilogy and Restored Textscreen Music with the Language Pack.
The recommend mods depends on recommendations from gamers and modders from different BG game forums. This version is a small megamod and a solid basis. This version alone gives you much new game-experience and content and if you wish you can add some more of your lovely choosen mods to it. Only the BiG World Setup will offer this version and it depends on the Standard-version. The mods for this version are marked green in the Linklist and the BiG World Setup.
Herewith you can install all mods which have not an absurd degree of difficulty or known bugs. You can take all these Standard-mods or choose the ones, you like. The Install.bat installs only the mods you have extracted into the BG2 main directory. The mods for this version are marked green and blue in the Linklist and the BiG World Setup.
With this installation you can add mods and components to the Standard-version that make above all the fights with the enemies more difficult and, therefore, are thought for experienced gamers. The mods for this version are marked orange in the Linklist and the BiG World Setup.
With the "BiG World Setup" you can do a BG2 only installation with all these versions, too (except the BGT Minimal-Version).
This version tries to fathom the feasible and includes all available mods of the Standard- and the Tactic-version and additional the mods, which are bugged at the moment. You have a 100% chance of running into bugs and/or CTDs (crash to desktop). The mods for this version are marked grey in the Linklist and the BiG World Setup.
This project is in development. Beginners should keep absolutely to the instructions, while experienced players with some efforts, tests and bugfixing can also create their own version of the BiG World.
Step by Step Instructions
- Make a full installation of BG1 and Tales of the Sword Coast
- Should be installed in C:\Games\Baldur's Gate
- Patch it with BioWare’s official ToSC patch v5512
- Start BG1, make your settings, create a character and make a quicksave with Q in Candlekeep
- Quit the game
- Make a full installation of BG2 and Throne of Bhaal
- Should be installed in C:\Games\BGII - SoA
- Patch it with BioWare’s official ToB patch v26498
- Start BG2 and ToB, make your settings, create a character and after the autosave quit the game
Important: Don't change the BG graphic-options or not more then 1024x768. You can get crashs to desktops (CTDs) if you take a higher resolution as 1024x768. When you want to play in a higher resolution take the Widescreen Mod.
If you want to use the Widescreen mod try out several resolutions until you found one that's optimal. It's probably better to do the testing on a clean BG2 install first (which shouldn't take long on a modern computer), to get a feel for the viewable area as well as text clarity, and then reply the selected resolution during the installation (you will be asked for it).
Begin the installation
- Download the BiG World Setup
- Execute the "BiG_World_Setup.exe" and follow the on-screen instructions
- The whole installation could take 2 until 12 and more hours, depending on how many mods you chose and how fast your computer and internet-connection is
- Start "Baldur's Gate II" and choose your game
The BWP-Tools were created for Windows 2000 upward, so you can use them on Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista/7, only.
The BiG World Project contains the following:
- BiG World PDF-Manual (in Englisch, German and Spanish)
- BiG World Setup (for an easy installation)
- BiG World Installpack (contains the installation commands)
- BiG World Fixpack (fixes bugs in mods)
- BiG World Textpack (for foreign languages (currently in German and in Spanish))
- Lollorian's Kit-Guide (contains all informations about character-kits)
Jarno's great FAQ for the Megamods (click me)
You find there many informations about megamod installations and how you can solve standard problems.
We are glad about every suggestion and every criticism which serves to improve the BiG World Project.
The BiG World Project Team is available for you at any time in the forums.
If you encounter IN-GAME bugs, please open a new topic for it.
Edited by Leomar, 06 May 2010 - 06:44 AM.