Photo

BiG World Setup

• Please log in to reply
466 replies to this topic

#81 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 11:11 PM

I can say what I did to reach a successful install in Vista (except that error I had during the process of installation that is connected with the install.bat not BWS directly- at least I think so- that I mentioned above), maybe this will make things clearer:

Thank you, dreamer2007. And because of your Install.bat problem, have you read my other post #77 yesterday? I don't like to download a 17 MB debug file, so please could you pack it first and then attach it anew?
You will see, it is than around 1 MB.

So first i had to turn off user account control, windows updates (just a precautionary measure) and also windows firewall before running BWS - this info maybe could be put on the first BWS page for Vista users.

That has someone done in our German forum, too and he had no problems with the BWS then like you had. So yes I'll mentioned it at the beginning of the first help-text.

After the beginning processes in BWS of selecting the type of install, the selection of mods and the downloading, at the unpacking stage I closed the internet connection and the AntiVirus( also it might be a better idea to put a separation between the downloading and the unpacking stages to have time to do this step that seemed essential for me), and I let all these closed until the end of the install. So this was all it was needed to avoid the problems.

This is already included in the BWS. You get the note about it, before the extraction of the NSIS-Installer starts. And that is not a Vista only note, that is a note in general. Looks like you have not read the message. ;)

Aa and of course an install in the program files of BGII should be definitely avoided in Vista like it's known by us Vista users, but maybe would be worth to be mentioned in the BWS. It could save some headache for some future users that don't know these annoying security additions implemented by Vista.

That's fine. We have help-texts about the selection of the BG1 and BG2 directories, so I'll mention the Vista "program files" problem there, too. Thanks. :)

Greetings Leomar

Edited by Leomar, 09 May 2009 - 11:15 PM.

A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#82 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 11:20 PM

After the beginning processes in BWS of selecting the type of install, the selection of mods and the downloading, at the unpacking stage I closed the internet connection and the AntiVirus( also it might be a better idea to put a separation between the downloading and the unpacking stages to have time to do this step that seemed essential for me), and I let all these closed until the end of the install. So this was all it was needed to avoid the problems.

This is already included in the BWS. You get the note about it, before the extraction of the NSIS-Installer starts. And that is not a Vista only note, that is a note in general. Looks like you have not read the message.

Yes I read that message :) . It was kinda big to miss it :P . But what I meant I did is that I closed the internet connection and the AntiVirus at the very beginning of the unpacking, and that is where I meant a small break in the installation process would have been useful for me, not only at the NSIS-Installer unpacking step. I noticed that this was necessary for me at least to solve some problems, because the antivirus gave false warnings about some files and caused problems in the unpacking process for the BWS (for example it gave a virus warning in Tashia/music.exe from what I remember).

Thank you, dreamer2007. And because of your Install.bat problem, have you read my other post #77 yesterday? I don't like to download a 17 MB debug file, so please could you pack it first and then attach it anew?
You will see, it is than around 1 MB.

Oh but I did pack it about an hour after you said so... :) If you look at the post #76 again you will see that I edited it and put the packed big world debug :) I should have made the change more visible in that post, but I thought you noticed it even so. Good that you mentioned you didn't, so here it is again:

Attached Files

Edited by dreamer2007, 10 May 2009 - 12:02 AM.

#83 White Agnus

White Agnus
  • Modder
  • 76 posts

Donator

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:35 AM

Edit: Okay so i managed to reach the end of my install :D . Yupee! Can't wait to start my new character :D . Everything seemed to work fine but I got an error that I haven't seen before related to a exe file that couldn't be run in Vista 64. In the Big World Debug it says : "Unable to initialize device PRN" and its exactly after:
SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED 'Imoen Romance Add-on Mod BG2:SoA(ToB required!)v1.201'
Unpacking 5242 tiles in AR26MR.tiz to AR26MR.tis

and right before 17. MORE BG2 NPC MODS . Should I expect some game breaking bugs because of this?

The author of the Imoen has made a little joke in his bat file:

cd where_are_my_pants
print why_arent_my_pants_here
action get_mad
exhort agh!!.exe

why_arent_my_pants_here isn't a correct parameter for print and the error occurs. ;)

#84 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:47 AM

The author of the Imoen has made a little joke in his bat file:

cd where_are_my_pants
print why_arent_my_pants_here
action get_mad
exhort agh!!.exe

why_arent_my_pants_here isn't a correct parameter for print and the error occurs. ;)

White Agnus was faster. Yes it is a joke from the modauthor, that means with your game is all fine.

Greetings Leomar

Edited by Leomar, 11 May 2009 - 01:50 AM.

A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
- Chevalier

#85 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:06 AM

But what I meant I did is that I closed the internet connection and the AntiVirus at the very beginning of the unpacking, and that is where I meant a small break in the installation process would have been useful for me, not only at the NSIS-Installer unpacking step. I noticed that this was necessary for me at least to solve some problems, because the antivirus gave false warnings about some files and caused problems in the unpacking process for the BWS (for example it gave a virus warning in Tashia/music.exe from what I remember).

What is if the virus warning is right? ;)

It is good if your security software checks the extraction process, you should be careful everytime. We don't want to break the BWS process for that. We need the informations which virus warnings you get instead. I think that is better. Normally we remember you, to disconnect the internet and turn off your security software before you start the installation process. But we know of problems with the NSIS-Installer with some security software and if you have choosen one NSIS, then you get the message earlier. But you can try to extract them without disconnection and turn off all. Not everyone has problems with the NSIS-Installer and the security software. Therefore it is a note only.

Yes, the Tashia/music.exe is a wrong virus warning. Have you got more?
Which other problems have you had during the extraction process?

Greetings Leomar

Edited by Leomar, 11 May 2009 - 02:11 AM.

- Chevalier

#86 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:34 AM

But what I meant I did is that I closed the internet connection and the AntiVirus at the very beginning of the unpacking, and that is where I meant a small break in the installation process would have been useful for me, not only at the NSIS-Installer unpacking step. I noticed that this was necessary for me at least to solve some problems, because the antivirus gave false warnings about some files and caused problems in the unpacking process for the BWS (for example it gave a virus warning in Tashia/music.exe from what I remember).

What is if the virus warning is right? ;)

It is good if your security software checks the extraction process, you should be careful everytime. We don't want to break the BWS process for that. We need the informations which virus warnings you get instead. I think that is better. Normally we remember you, to disconnect the internet and turn off your security software before you start the installation process. But we know of problems with the NSIS-Installer with some security software and if you have choosen one NSIS, then you get the message earlier. But you can try to extract them without disconnection and turn off all. Not everyone has problems with the NSIS-Installer and the security software. Therefore it is a note only.

Yes, the Tashia/music.exe is a wrong virus warning. Have you got more?
Which other problems have you had during the extraction process?

Greetings Leomar

Okay, I see the reason now :) . I didn't imagine that there could be true virus problems with the mod archives, only false ones. So now from what I remember from the virus warnings during the install process: Tashia /music.exe appeared a few times in the unpacking process, and the reason why I said I had problems is because after the detection it seems that some mods failed to unpack, and when I tried unpacking again without the antivirus that seemed to block the unpacking step, the process proceeded flawlessly. Other than these warnings, I can't remember any other file warning, but I admit I didn't pay enough attention to them because of what I said previously that I didn't think there could be real virus threats. At the next install I will pay more attention and report anything wrong reported by the antivirus. Also except what I already reported I didn't encounter any other problems.

But, I'm curios about the issue I had during the installation process... Is it a issue that might ruin my game? I have my character on standby awaiting the answer... :) . If this is an issue that will be solved for us Vista 64bit users in a not such a distant future, no problem, I will wait for the next version, but I need to know for sure that it's best to not play just to be certain I will not encounter problems.

Anyway, Thank You that you try to solve the problems for us Vista users :) . I know that this operating system might give some headaches sometimes but it does have some advantages that make it worthwhile and there are plenty of people that use it, and it would be great that they would be able to play the amazing and fun BWP, without encountering these problems I had. Also, BWS is an Awesome tool and I loved it from the first moment I saw it in action, and I know these minor drawbacks for Vista are just that, minor.

Here is my Weydu.log just in case it might be useful to find out the answer for my problem:

Attached Files

#87 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:50 AM

But, I'm curios about the issue I had during the installation process... Is it a issue that might ruin my game? I have my character on standby awaiting the answer... :) . If this is an issue that will be solved for us Vista 64bit users in a not such a distant future, no problem, I will wait for the next version, but I need to know for sure that it's best to not play just to be certain I will not encounter problems.

Which problem do you mean? This one from "Imoen's Romance":

"Unable to initialize device PRN"

Like as I said above, it is only a joke from the mod author and nothing happens wrongly with your game. All is fine with your installation.

Greetings Leomar
- Chevalier

#88 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 04:08 AM

Which problem do you mean? This one from "Imoen's Romance":

"Unable to initialize device PRN"

Like as I said above, it is only a joke from the mod author and nothing happens wrongly with your game. All is fine with your installation.

Greetings Leomar

Okay, I am very happy to hear this :D . Then, I am off to slaughter my enemies with my angry and anxious kensai :D . The axes are trembling with excitement in his hands :lol:

#89 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:13 PM

Okay, I am very happy to hear this :D . Then, I am off to slaughter my enemies with my angry and anxious kensai :D . The axes are trembling with excitement in his hands :lol:

Happy kensaiing. :D

Greetings Leomar
- Chevalier

#90 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 11:09 PM

I've uploaded an "Update Package" for the BWS. If you start the BWS for an Installation, the BWS will automatically get updated to v7.0.1.

7.0.1 (Update Package) - 17.05.2009
Updated: Description of the "BG2 - SoA" wrong folder message window (Translation.ini)
Corrected: Typos in the BWS-descriptions (Translation.ini)
Fixed: "Cheats=1" and "Debug Mode=1" for the [Program Options] in the baldur.ini (09_Install.au3)
Added: Warning "Do not restore a backup from an older BWS (Installation Package) version" (Translation.ini)
Added: Title for each help-text window (Translation.ini)
Added: Informations for Vista users (Translation.ini)
Updated: BWS-descriptions for better understanding of the BWS functions (Translation.ini)
Fixed: The chapter "BG2 MORE NPC-MODS" exist only once, now for Select, Deselect and Mark (Mod.ini and Chapter.ini)

Greetings Leomar

Edited by Leomar, 16 May 2009 - 11:28 PM.

- Chevalier

#91 jerric

jerric
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 04:50 PM

A wonderful tool! But when I double click "BiG World Setup.vbs", I got error as this image. Um... what a pity.

Do you use Vista or Linux?

Greetings Leomar

No, my OS is Windows XP SP2.

OS Name: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

I had the same problem using the latest BWS 7.0 command. When I tried the "BiG World Setup.vbs", I got the following error message:
error1.png

and if I skip the debug, and run the "BiG World Setup.au3" directly, I got the following error message:
error2.png

I tried it XP/SP3 and Vista/Sp1, and both of them are English OS with Chinese set as default unicode settings, and both have the same problems. After digging around the AutoIt code for several hours, I finally found out it was cause by invalid characters in the script files. Specifically the files with non-ASCII codes are: Includes/05_Basics.au3 and Includes/07_Extract.au3.

After making the following changes in those files, I can see the main window of BWS and continue the installation. So, is it possible to avoid using any of the non-ascii characters in the script? And if it is unavoidable, Chr() can also be used.

Finally, it is really a great tool, and it is a great help on megamod installation. Thanks a lot for all the effort for bringing it alive!

Jerric

=================== 05_Basics.au3 ======================
Line 158 - 164
$p_String = StringReplace($p_String, '?, '?)
>>>
$p_String = StringReplace($p_String, Chr(0x84), Chr(0xE4))
$p_String = StringReplace($p_String, Chr(0x94), Chr(0xF6))
$p_String = StringReplace($p_String, Chr(0x81), Chr(0xFC))
$p_String = StringReplace($p_String, Chr(0xE1), Chr(0xDF))
$p_String = StringReplace($p_String, Chr(0x8E), Chr(0xC4))
$p_String = StringReplace($p_String, Chr(0x99), Chr(0xD6))
$p_String = StringReplace($p_String, Chr(0x9A), Chr(0xDC))

Line 173 - 175
$p_String = StringReplace($p_String, '?', '?)
>>>
$p_String = StringReplace($p_String, '?', '''')
$p_String = StringReplace($p_String, '?', '''')
$p_String = StringReplace($p_String, '?', '-')

=================== 07_Extract.au3 ======================
Line 446
$Mark&=' ٧; if mod is fixed, mark as missing essential
>>>
$Mark&=' ' & Chr(0xB9) ; if mod is fixed, mark as missing essential

Line 459
$Mark&=' ҧ
>>>
$Mark&=' ' & Chr(0xB2)

Line 462
$Mark&=' ҧ
>>>
$Mark&=' ' & Chr(0xB2)

Line 466
$Mark&=' ӧ
>>>
$Mark&=' ' & Chr(0xB3)

Edited by jerric, 19 May 2009 - 05:30 AM.

#92 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:57 PM

Hi jerric,

great work. :clap:

I did not thought about that, since it worked on my pc and I do not use one of those foreign language-codes.
You are right: Using chr would be better.

_Trans_Dos2Ascii is used for reading out the mod-components from weidu and I thought about using it to look after the installation process.
These parts are not used by the installation itself, so replacing it with your code would solve the problem.

_Trans_Html2Ascii was used to convert the link-list at the Kerzenburg-Forum into a file that can be used by the BWS. That part was moved into a seperate application, so it could be removed.
THINK! - It's not illegal.

#93 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 01:13 AM

jerric, thanks for your great work. :cheers:
I'll make the corrections for the BWS.

Greetings Leomar
- Chevalier

#94 Konalan

Konalan

Jamie wants big BOOM!

• 91 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:14 AM

Just downloaded this in Linux to take a look.  Absolutely amazing.  Well done. :Bow:
A compilation of my BG2 mods:
Konalan's Tweaks

#95 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 12:22 AM

Konalan, thanks for your feedback. :)

I've uploaded an "Update Package" for the BWS. If you start the BWS for an installation, the BWS will automatically get updated to v7.0.2.

7.0.2 (Update Package) - 26.05.2009
  • Fixed: Shows and uses the mod "Er'vonyrah" now (Mod.ini and Chapter.ini)
  • Fixed: ASCII codes (05_Basics.au3 and 07_Extract.au3)
  • Fixed: Downloads of the Spanish mods (thanks to CLAN DLAN for hosting the Spanish mods at Spellhold Studios)
  • Updated: Description of the window "silent extraction of the NSIS-packages" (Translation.ini)
  • Fixed: Setup-file of "Vendedor DLAN" (Mod.ini and Chapter.ini)
  • Fixed: Write-protected "BiG World Clean-Up.bat" at restoring a backup (04_Backup.au3)
Greetings Leomar
- Chevalier

#96 --Kelborn--

--Kelborn--

Posted 26 May 2009 - 01:42 AM

Well, this is perhaps a bit embarrassing, but is it possible to find some sort of install log which could tell me what BiG World package I installed? I am afraid that I actually got this wondrous compilation all set up several months ago - and then promptly forgot all about my plans to play it! Having come back now and immersed myself in the experience, I am specifically wondering if I chose the most basic installation and thus do not have the BG1 NPC Mod installed...

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

#97 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:28 AM

Kelborn,

Look for the file WeiDU.log in the main game folder. It will list all the mods installed and you can compare it to the different versions.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#98 belowzeros

belowzeros
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 12:09 AM

Hope someone can answer a couple completely newb questions. I've decided to give BW a try after following for a long while but ran into a couple problems.

1. What is the right way to install BG1 and BG2 for compatability with BW. It's never explicitly pointed out anywhere I have seen yet. Is this right (i don't use a program directory, these are all off the root of my games partition)?

x:\Baldur's Gate\
x:\Baldur's Gate\BGII - SoA
x:\Baldur's Gate\BGII - SoA\Big World Downloads

is that right? because I ran into a problem with the installer and the classic 25movies.bif not found error but it was clearly in the cd5 directory. I also tried to move it into the movies directory with no luck. Happened under vista but I turned off UAC.

2. My other question is does the installer download the installpack, fixpack, etc or just the mods? I don't want to miss a step.

thanks folks.

#99 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:33 AM

1... Is this right (i don't use a program directory, these are all off the root of my games partition)?

x:\Baldur's Gate\
x:\Baldur's Gate\BGII - SoA
x:\Baldur's Gate\BGII - SoA\Big World Downloads

is that right?

And where have you installed the BG1? Cause it can't be in the x:\Baldur's Gate\ ... So I would suggest to install it to x:\Baldur's Gate\Baldur's Gate\ if that is to your liking.
Or you could put this all to:
x:\Games\Baldur's Gate\
x:\Games\BGII - SoA\ to where you run the BiG_World_Setup_7.0.exe, of course it might be prudent to not run this in the original installation directory, but in a copy...
x:\Downloads\Big World Downloads\ (the reason for this is that when you wish to uninstall the BG2 game, you do not unintentionally remove all the downloads too), and you have to remember that when you move/copy the game files to different directories, you need to update the baldur.ini in then so the [Alias]'es point to the right direction.

2. The BiG_World_Setup_7.0.exe does download everything you need.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 06 June 2009 - 03:38 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#100 belowzeros

belowzeros
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 07:58 AM

2. The BiG_World_Setup_7.0.exe does download everything you need.

Jarno! thank-you so much for the very informative post. Your help was exactly what I needed and on your suggestions the corrections fixed all the problems.

I don't know why but somewhere in the documentation I got the impression that BG2 should be installed in the root of BG1. I did everything you suggested and it went off without a hitch. I have to say that installer is completely awesome and I came to BW at the right time =p I've played a heavily modded Oblivion for a while and I can only wish we had something like that to make the very tricky Oblivion install that much better :)

Maybe someone could include your answer to my directory install question in a FAQ or the PDF because it's never answered anywhere. It's probably become old hat now to all you guys who've worked with BW forever but to someone new it's not very obvious.

Thanks again :)