Photo

Removing Armor Casting Failure from Spellcasters

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Adul

Adul
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:28 AM

Hi, I'm trying to make a bard kit, and one of his planned features is letting him cast spells while wearing armor.

Is this possible to do somehow? I'm interested in any solution, as I've already taken a look through the effect opcodes and I'm fairly sure it won't be possible the easy way.

#2 Icendoan

Icendoan

"An Infinite Deal of Nothing"

• 1723 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:05 AM

Well, you could do something with Use EFF File and then Protection From Opcode referencing the armour spell failure. You would have to patch it to all armours in the game, however, and anything that uses armours afterwards would make some which you can't cast spells in.

Icen
Proud member of the 'I HATE Elminster!' Club!

Mods in development: Keeping Yoshimo

#3 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:01 AM

Hi, I'm trying to make a bard kit, and one of his planned features is letting him cast spells while wearing armor.
Is this possible to do somehow? I'm interested in any solution, as I've already taken a look through the effect opcodes and I'm fairly sure it won't be possible the easy way.

Yes, but if you don't wish this to affect anyone else than the specific bard kit, it's a S%&/#" job to do. The Item Revision does this in few different ways in it's components.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 16 April 2009 - 05:03 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#4 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:15 AM

Kit applies a spell offering (via opcode 101) immunity to opcode 144 (hide button) and 145 (disable spellcasting) and it'll be able to cast spells or use the pickpocket ability while wearing armor (in the standard game). Add immunity to opcode 40 (miscast magic) and it won't be affected by the spellcasting failure chance from various mods (IR, G3Tweaks, Refinements) - however, the kit will also become immune to the spellcasting failure from C3 Miscast Magic, D5 Insect Plague and similar spells.

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#5 Adul

Adul
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:52 AM

Thank you all, I wasn't expecting something as simple as that.

I've seen the opcode 101 before, but I've overlooked it not realizing the possibilities it had.

Add immunity to opcode 40 (miscast magic) and it won't be affected by the spellcasting failure chance from various mods (IR, G3Tweaks, Refinements) - however, the kit will also become immune to the spellcasting failure from C3 Miscast Magic, D5 Insect Plague and similar spells.

Well I haven't used these mods before, but I suppose I should add protection from 40 if I don't want the kit to be incompatible with popular mods out there. Thanks!

#6 Icendoan

Icendoan

"An Infinite Deal of Nothing"

• 1723 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:53 PM

And immunity to miscast magic could just be included as another 'feature'. :)

Icen
Proud member of the 'I HATE Elminster!' Club!

Mods in development: Keeping Yoshimo

#7 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:19 PM

And immunity to miscast magic could just be included as another 'feature'.

The best way, actually, I'd say. Still, AI might be of a slight problem here, as SCS's beholders will keep antimagicking this char like a chaingun, and to no avail. Or may be that not SCS, but someone else. But you got the idea.

Retired from modding.