Big World installation problem

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Vampire Killer

Vampire Killer

Dark Metamorphosis

• 82 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:39 AM

Hi, first off, thanks to the creators of this mod for the incredible amount of effort it took to make. I re-installed BG1 and BGII - SOA + TOB yesterday and decided to check out Big World which I was told about on another forum.

The first problem came when I downloaded all the mods for the tactical installation and then ran the setup program. It told me that lots of stuff was missing so I had to wait while it re-downloaded them. I followed the PDF and extracted all the mods to a separate folder and then copied it into my BGII - SOA folder but it didn't seem to recognize them.

Then after that was done, several of them failed to extract, and the setup asked if I wanted to do it manually. I said yes but when I extracted them to BGII - SOA folder it naturally installed them instead of just extracting them.

Then I finally ran Big World Setup 6.x.x batch file and the file check process said that there were still some mods missing, and I could install them once the check was done. So I made absolutely sure to install them again and re-ran the file check part of the batch file. It took a few tries but setup began. It's been about 3 hours and I am still stuck at **[WEIDU Backup] Using Scripting Style BG2** and it has been there for as long as I keep checking. My cpu and memory is showing little to no activity. Is the process dead/frozen? Can I safely close it? What did I do wrong, was it because I had to manually install 4 of the mods? Please give me some help, I deleted my older, functioning install of BG2 so I could try this and I really want it to succeed. Thanks again.
I can do this!

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:36 AM

Then I finally ran Big World Setup 6.x.x batch file and the file check process said that there were still some mods missing, and I could install them once the check was done. So I made absolutely sure to install them again and re-ran the file check part of the batch file. It took a few tries but setup began. It's been about 3 hours and I am still stuck at **[WEIDU Backup] Using Scripting Style BG2**

The process is dead cause you have the Widescreen mods setup-widescreen.exe in the mod folder, and it kills the process, link to other threads with the exact same thing, so you have to remove the .exe and any other WeiDU.exes it has possibly updated(look at their sizes, they all say 3,909Kb's instead of 508Kb's)... well, that's my theory at least.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#3 Vampire Killer

Vampire Killer

Dark Metamorphosis

• 82 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:41 AM

Thank you, I would never have figured that out. I have deleted it and will try setup again once I close my browser and disconnect from the internet. Thanks again.

QUICK EDIT: Is it normal to see tons and tons of warnings, file skipped messages, errors and "possible errors" when re-starting the 6 hour installation process? I'm a little worried here.

Edited by Vampire Killer, 17 April 2009 - 11:55 AM.

I can do this!

#4 Vampire Killer

Vampire Killer

Dark Metamorphosis

• 82 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:32 PM

Well, I am over 6 hours into the install and there have been so many errors/warnings/files skipped and the like that I wonder if this is going to be playable. Are messages like this normal for a megamod install? Thanks for any help.
I can do this!

#5 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:51 PM

Well, I am over 6 hours into the install and there have been so many errors/warnings/files skipped and the like that I wonder if this is going to be playable. Are messages like this normal for a megamod install? Thanks for any help.

Well, there are warnings yes, but there shouldn't be too many errors, but we need to see the "BiG World Debug.txt" file after the installation is done to determine what might be wrong, so you should be able to upload it to a post, or if not, to a uploading site, but do pack it to an archive(.rar, .zip or the like) with your WeiDU.log...

#6 Vampire Killer

Vampire Killer

Dark Metamorphosis

• 82 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:55 AM

Hi Jarno,

I would be glad to upload my log files for you. Here's how things went with the installation. I started around 3 pm in the afternoon and by midnight, the installation was still going. I ended up closing it because I think it got caught in a loop and it was repeating a certain part of the process over and over again. Is there anything I can do to re-start the install cleanly or am I stuck doing a complete re-install? Thanks again, and if you still want to see my log files just say so and I will gladly upload them somewhere.
I can do this!

#7 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:09 AM

Is there anything I can do to re-start the install cleanly or am I stuck doing a complete re-install?

Well, here a way and files to restore the game to it's original settings, but the thing there is that if the mods biffed the files to it's data folder, they stay there and take space in the data folder... it causes no errors, it just takes space in there.
So the way I would do it, is to uninstall the BG2(- SoA) game from the Control Panel, delete the game folder, and then reinstall it again, +ToB +the ToBpatch and then make a backup from the game folder yourself...

#8 Vampire Killer

Vampire Killer

Dark Metamorphosis

• 82 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:27 PM

I have the game + TOB patch re-installed. I am hesitant to try this again though, after reading some others' experiences. They have reported getting a game going but that the mods don't seem to be that compatible. I might try to just do a BGT game and try to recover as much of my last good install that I can. I don't even remember how I did it, which is what makes it so hard to repeat. Jarno, do you use Big World? Does it seem to work fairly well?
I can do this!

#9 dreamer2007

dreamer2007
  • 430 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:56 PM

I have the game + TOB patch re-installed. I am hesitant to try this again though, after reading some others' experiences. They have reported getting a game going but that the mods don't seem to be that compatible. I might try to just do a BGT game and try to recover as much of my last good install that I can. I don't even remember how I did it, which is what makes it so hard to repeat. Jarno, do you use Big World? Does it seem to work fairly well?

BWP works great! You should try to install it and make sure you do it correctly, and if you do, you will have a very nice stable BWP. I am in the BG2 part in an older version of BWP - 5.7 and I didn't encounter even one crash to desktop in the whole BG1 and the portion of BG2 I played so far and I encountered very few minor bugs, and imagine that version 6.0 is more stable than my version. So my advice is tot try again until you will have a successful install, because it's really worth it.

Edited by dreamer2007, 18 April 2009 - 10:56 PM.

#10 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:05 AM

... which is what makes it so hard to repeat... Jarno, do you use Big World? Does it seem to work fairly well?

Actually no, as I concentrate on the Total Conversion mods... but what I have heard, says that it is more stable than any other mod combination... and it only has few necessary mods. Although I have installed it more than a few times.
Yes, you can use the BWP to install the exact mods you wish to install, in a stable form(if you choose the "Tactical" installation version), and the BWP only requires that you install the BGT and few other mods, like the "txt music" mod with the installation files...

#11 Vandervecken

Vandervecken
  • 176 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:28 AM

Hi,
Sorry for the necro here, but I have this exact same problem now with BWP 7.0, and I have tried removing the widescreen mod. It hasn't helped.
I am trying a Tactical installation. Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks in advance,
Vandervecken

#12 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:15 AM

Hi,
Sorry for the necro here, but I have this exact same problem now with BWP 7.0, and I have tried removing the widescreen mod. It hasn't helped.

Thanks in advance,
Vandervecken

If you truly have this problem...
You just have to open the game folder, then you need to see the size of the files which you get to by right clicking the opened folder -> View -> the second last option.
Then you look at the size of the setup-*modname*.exe's and if it's size is the 3,909 Kb's, you go and delete it and copy one of the 508Kb .exe's, and rename the copy as the deleted 3,909 Kb .exe one, and if you have more than one, you just repeat this several times until you do not have the 3,909Kb .exe's anymore.

Yes, the setup-*modname*.exe is the WeiDU.exe just renamed so that it takes orders from the setup-*modname*.tp2 file... and you are manually updating them from the failing 3,909Kb one to the working 508Kb one.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 17 May 2009 - 09:19 AM.

#13 Vandervecken

Vandervecken
  • 176 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 01:18 PM

Hi,

Thanks in advance,
Vandervecken

If you truly have this problem...
You just have to open the game folder, then you need to see the size of the files which you get to by right clicking the opened folder -> View -> the second last option.
Then you look at the size of the setup-*modname*.exe's and if it's size is the 3,909 Kb's, you go and delete it and copy one of the 508Kb .exe's, and rename the copy as the deleted 3,909 Kb .exe one, and if you have more than one, you just repeat this several times until you do not have the 3,909Kb .exe's anymore.

Yes, the setup-*modname*.exe is the WeiDU.exe just renamed so that it takes orders from the setup-*modname*.tp2 file... and you are manually updating them from the failing 3,909Kb one to the working 508Kb one.

Hi,
Thanks for the help.
I took a look at the files, and there aren't any 3909's.
Today, The script downloaded BWS_20090517.7z
which seems to have fixed my problem.
What was the issue?
Also, can I just setup the widescreen afterwards?

Thanks!

#14 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:42 PM

What was the issue?
Also, can I just setup the widescreen afterwards?

Well, the issue is that the WeiDU.exe(named as setup-widescreenmod.exe) that the mod has been packed in it, is marked as same version as the normal WeiDU.exe v210, but it's obviously not the v210 as it's the source code for it or something the-like, and so it will not work the same way as it should.
Yes you can install the Widescreen mod after, as long as you won't install any other mods after that, or you'll have the same problem again... that the WeiDU window won't just go forward.

#15 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 11:48 PM

Today, The script downloaded BWS_20090517.7z
which seems to have fixed my problem.
What was the issue?

It was a WeiDU update problem and because you have not used the Widescreen mod at first, it was solved. The BWS Update v7.0.1 has nothing to do with it. We'll handle this with the next release of the Install.bat, to avoid such problems.

Greetings Leomar

Edited by Leomar, 17 May 2009 - 11:49 PM.

A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#16 -Lord Haldane-

-Lord Haldane-

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:12 PM

I have this problem as well! I do not have the Widescreen Mod and there are no 3,909Kb files in my folder...?

I closed the cmd box manually and the game will actually start, so is it safe to play? Or are there important steps after the '[WEIDU Backup] Using Scripting Style BG2' ?

Thanks for the help!

#17 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:09 AM

Yes. You did not install anything, this step is just a preparation.
Start the BiG World Install-Batch again, it is told to work for most people.
THINK! - It's not illegal.

#18 2red

2red
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:05 AM

I don't have any 3,909s, no widescreen mod(but i tryed to install it at first time). Installation is stuck every time on different places (i guess). Im trying to install it for third day straight. Tryed to turn off and on internet. Why it's stuck?

#19 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 05:43 AM

Sorry, my christalball fell on the floor the other night. :rolleyes:
Give us some logs or more information if we shall help you.
THINK! - It's not illegal.

#20 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:41 AM

And the Magic Eight Ball gave me:

Really hazy, try again.

^_^