Photo

Strontium Dog's BWP problem thread/Was:- Nadalin NTOSC issue

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#181 -Strontium Dog-

-Strontium Dog-

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:31 AM

Well I changed viconiaromance settings to 2, which they would eventually presumably reach. Didn't work. I guess I'll have to give up, what a waste. If there was an issue with an animation, given the CTD to a full black screen, is it possible that it was due to moinesse' avatars component being installed? I ask this because I like the long-haired animations that Moinesse avatars produces, but it conflicts with 1pp avatars heavily and isn't featured in the usually reliable big world projetc "linkliste" of official mods.

#182 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:42 AM

The only way I know is to find what it is trying to do. Then see what might be the conflict/bug. My guess animation. :unsure:

Hey, if you are going to install stuff not even on the Expert list (Expert = Broke) then don't plan on finishing the game. :doh: I guess the game you are playing is 'Make a custom install and see how far I get!'. :new_thumbs:

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#183 -Strontium Dog-

-Strontium Dog-

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:05 AM

The only way I know is to find what it is trying to do. Then see what might be the conflict/bug. My guess animation. :unsure:

Hey, if you are going to install stuff not even on the Expert list (Expert = Broke) then don't plan on finishing the game. :doh: I guess the game you are playing is 'Make a custom install and see how far I get!'. :new_thumbs:

Ouch!! Well, the only mods not on the list at all were moinesse avatars and geomantic sorcerer. I didn't install the 1pp mod as I didn't like it and installed moinesse avatars instead. The GS mod was useful for tripling my party's xp gains(they were all triple-classed).

On a side-note, I can use shadowkeeper to insert many of the HLA abilities but some of the HLA abilities are one-off permanent in fucntion. Is there a global command that can give me the use of the slippery mind and use any item HLAs?

#184 -Strontium Dog-

-Strontium Dog-

Posted 08 February 2010 - 02:52 AM

*Bumping up thread* Anyone know how I can use setglobal to get the permanent HLAs like useanyitem/slippery mind as opposed to HLAs like greater whirlwind which are not and can be inserted via shadowkeeper?

Also, in the previous game I used geomantic sorcerer which fouled up my HLAs and inserted some overly powerful HLAs in place of the usual ones. I was forced to install geomantic sorcerer in order to get the 15% xp penalty(shown as 85% of original XP), so that I could alter it to 300, and triple my party's xp. I would love to instead install an alternative such as a kit which automatically gave an xp penalty. That way I could alter the xp penalty via shadowkeeper to 300, without fouling up my original HLAs. Any suggestions most welcome!

#185 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 03:07 AM

*Bumping up thread* Anyone know how I can use setglobal to get the permanent HLAs like useanyitem/slippery mind as opposed to HLAs like greater whirlwind which are not and can be inserted via shadowkeeper?

There is no such globals, what you need to do is to copy the thief clabxx.2da(probably the clabth01.2da) file and set it(copy-rename-replace) as the Kits clabxx.2da file that the character uses in the overwrite folder.

Any suggestions most welcome!

Use previously made savegame which has as the GeoSorc as a character with the penalty on the characters affect(and put it onto an archive so you don't have to do it again)... which you only need to copy-paste to the current save.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 10 February 2010 - 11:54 PM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#186 -Strontium Dog-

-Strontium Dog-

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:50 AM

Well, I'm starting another game. re previous enquiry:- can anyone tell me what the exact incompatibility there is between Spellpackv5(galactygon) and the wildmage pack. If I know what component(s) interefere I can pick and choose which spellpack 5 components I can install.

Secondly, the spell-50 mod had a 2nd component in the BWP, consisting of "few constant level spells past 20th level). I presume this nerfs/weakens the spell50 mod so I've removed it from the .bat install file. I presume that that's a correct assumption?

#187 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:21 PM

Spellpackv5 is buggy. Galactygon is now working on some fixes. :)

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#188 -Strontium Dog-

-Strontium Dog-

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:14 AM

Actually, I've found spell-pack to be remarkably bug-free by comparison to a few other spell-adding mods. But then I only install some of the priest-spell components(the ones with icewind dale-derived spells).Also, I've found that spell50 does indeed enhance those "few constant spells", judging from a closer inspection of the readme, so I'm going to install that component.

Now,I have a further issue which needs to be resolved:- I've done most of the major work re installing my new BWP game. But, I want to install the spell-revisions mod(well some of the spells not all, only those which are more powerful than the spells in the original game), some elements of the spell-pack mod(the icewind dale priest/druid spells), the spell50 mod and then the wild mage mod, followed by some of the components of the improved summons mod. The other mods all are claimed to conflict with the spell-revisions mod. Now, my question is do all those mods merely patch the spells or do they simply completely overwrite previous spells? If they all overwrite spells completely, that would be awkward as , judging from the tp2 file of the spell50 mod, it's not possible to use /* and */ to edit out most of its altered spells, for example. Though I suppose I could remove the spells I don't want from the spell50 folder, that might work.

I'm not worried re the spell pack mod as I'm only introducing new icewind Dale spells not already found in the game so the components I will install won't alter/remove previous spells. If the spell50 mod merely patches the various altered (spell-rev)spells to level 50-usage, while the other mods overwrite the previous spells, then that's no problem. Obviously, improved summons would completely overwrite any previous spell, so that shouldn't be a problem since I'm primarily interested in the new creatures added, not the duration of the summoning spells in question.

So, for example, if I installed the altered chain-lightning spell from spell-rev mod(which gives 1d6/level of caster up to 20d6) to 1 creature and 1d6/2 levels of caster to other enemies in the vicinity, save at -5(the original gives only 1d6/2 levels of caster to 12d6 I think for all creatures struck), would that spell then be altered by spell50 to become 50d6 to 1 creature and 25d6 to any other, or only 25d6 to all hostile creatures?

Anyway, if anyone can give me some idea re the above, I'd be most grateful, thanks.

#189 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:32 AM

If they all overwrite spells completely, that would be awkward as , judging from the tp2 file of the spell50 mod, it's not possible to use /* and */ to edit out most of its altered spells, for example. Though I suppose I could remove the spells I don't want from the spell50 folder, that might work.

It will work, as the mod just overwrites the spell files... and does nothing more, so the descriptions are unchanged.

So, for example, if I installed the altered chain-lightning spell from spell-rev mod(which gives 1d6/level of caster up to 20d6) to 1 creature and 1d6/2 levels of caster to other enemies in the vicinity, save at -5(the original gives only 1d6/2 levels of caster to 12d6 I think for all creatures struck), would that spell then be altered by spell50 to become 50d6 to 1 creature and 25d6 to any other, or only 25d6 to all hostile creatures?

It's 25d6 to everyone, as the mods both just copy over the old mods files, but here comes some what the problem, if the SP changes the spell description, the 50th level spells will use that, and not the original as they were intended to.
So yes if you install the SR before the 50LevelSpells, you end up with the 50th level spell mods spells are the original spells modified to 50th level, not Spell Revs spells upgraded to 50th level. And the same goes backwards, as both packs overwrite instead of uses patching to do the job.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 11 February 2010 - 02:57 AM.

#190 -Strontium Dog-

-Strontium Dog-

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:03 AM

[It will work, as the mod just overwrites the spell files... and does nothing more, so the descriptions are unchanged.

It's 25d6 to everyone, as the mods both just copy over the old mods files, but here comes some what the problem, if the SP changes the spell description, the 50th level spells will use that, and not the original as they were intended to.

So the spell-files are separate from the spell-description files? Damn, I had thought that the combination of spell-rev and spell50 mod had worked in my previous game given the various spell-rev altered spell descriptions, the fact that some spells like fireball clearly were doing more damage than the standard 10d6 and the fact that some spell-rev-altered spells such as sleep were still working on high-level NPCs. Thanks for confirming this(and for the quick response!), though it'll mean a lot more hours of careful editing to remove the spell-files I don't want. Fortunately, spell50 mod displays the code-names for the various spells, so it's not as difficult as I thought it would be.

#191 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:28 AM

So the spell-files are separate from the spell-description files?

Well yeah, the spell description is stored in the dialog.tlk as string that the spell file refers to(so there is a number in the spell file which tells the link to the description).

#192 -Strontium Dog-

-Strontium Dog-

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:43 AM

So the spell-files are separate from the spell-description files?

Well yeah, the spell description is stored in the dialog.tlk as string that the spell file refers to(so there is a number in the spell file which tells the link to the description).

So, all I have to do is check the entire dialog.tlk file to find the right spell-code and alter the wording there? Seems awfully strenuous as I've heard that the dialog.tlk file is the most important BG2 file, and therefore presumably the biggest file.

#193 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:07 AM

So, all I have to do is check the entire dialog.tlk file to find the right spell-code and alter the wording there? Seems awfully strenuous as I've heard that the dialog.tlk file is the most important BG2 file, and therefore presumably the biggest file.

Ah, I never said you would have to alter the file references, just that the description are contained there and they might be off ... and no, it's not the biggest file in the game, just the most refereed to, by every item, creature, dialog bit that has a text in it. And technically the .bifs are the biggest, because they are compiled file folders.

#194 -Strontium Dog-

-Strontium Dog-

Posted 12 February 2010 - 02:25 AM

2 complaints:- I tried doing my megamod-install and it failed because the baldur's gate folder was auotmatically installed in the program files(x86) folder of my windows vista PC, not the usual Program Files, so the install.bat didn't record it. So I have to reinstall all over again, this time making sure the install.bat refers to the right directory. Fortunately, I did most of the work previously and saved my original install-bat so I can just copy it over instead of laboriously removing unwanted components etc.So, all I need to do other than installing is to change 1 spell-file.

Other than that, I should add that I haven't been able to sign into spellhold studios for some months now as the website seems to have been altered from its previous format. I can still post as a guest, but that's it.

#195 -Strontium Dog-

-Strontium Dog-

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:23 AM

OK,

I've tried doing a new megamod-install and it fouled up big time. I'd carefully removed all sorts of components and added in some others, and some of the ones I wanted installed didn't install, while others, such as several spell-pack mod components, were installed regardless, according to the weidu log file, despite the fact that I'd removed those numbers which corresponded with the components I hadn't wanted installed.

I should add that I chose the expert version because I'd wanted to install the Exnem mod. It's such a hassle to reinstall a megamod that I want to make sure that the next time it works 100%. Also, my installation was called a "multilingual" one even though I chose only the English version - perhaps, since I only added or removed numbers/components from the English-language versions of the various mods, the components from the German or Spanish language versions were installed anyway.

Couple of other things:- I'd wanted to install the item_revisions mod along with the ashes of embers mod components(ie sensible weapons proficiencies for mods etc., which allow mages to wield two-handed swords if they so choose and the multi-class grandmastery fix(of bg2tweaks?) which also conflicts with some other mod(item_revisions?). From what I understand the clash between item_revisions and ashes of embers is only in the weapons-descriptions, not the actual alteration of the weapons by the item_revisions mod, so I can do both without harming the game, as such. How do I force this install of both mods? I suppose I could install both of them before starting the whole BWP install, but I'm afraid that some other mod in the BWP install might ruin those 2 mods in some way.

Any solutions most welcome. I suppose I could choose a tactics install(as I love installing scs 1 and 2 and other tactics-related mods, and then remove the "X" from expert mods such as exnem's mod, so that they get included in the install. Perhaps that would avoid the installation of components I'd thought I'd removed.

#196 -Strontium Dog-

-Strontium Dog-

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:22 AM

No reply, ah well. I think it may be OK to install both ashes of embers and item revisions mod. Is it possible to install a mod like ashes of embers after the whole BWP installation has finished?

1 other odd thing which I can't understand :- when I edited the BWP install .bat file, during a previous installation, I at first included the "O" in the item_revisions mod section of that file to ensure it would be downloaded. Yet, when I tried to install the BWP game, the item_revisions mod did not get installed at all. Yet, on a guess, on my next installation, I deliberately left out the 0, and , sure enough, against all logic, the game stopped its installation temporarily and asked me which components of the item_revisions mod I wanted to install. This all doesn't make sense and was wondering if people knew what was going on. At any rate, the BWP installation process appears to be absurdly over-complicated.

#197 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:14 AM

I think it may be OK to install both ashes of embers and item revisions mod. Is it possible to install a mod like ashes of embers after the whole BWP installation has finished?

Yes, but I would advice that you should think twice if you wish the BWS to install these:
~GENERALIZED_BIFFING/GENERALIZED_BIFFING.TP2~ #0 #0 // generalized biffing: v2
~TOB_HACKS/TOB_HACKS.TP2~ #0 #80 // Non-cumulative blindness effect (THAC0 malus): v0.5.1
~TOB_HACKS/TOB_HACKS.TP2~ #0 #100 // Enlarge tooltip scroll: v0.5.1
~TOB_HACKS/TOB_HACKS.TP2~ #0 #110 // Apply profsmax.2da restrictions on char creation (BGT): v0.5.1
~TOB_HACKS/TOB_HACKS.TP2~ #0 #120 // "Scrollable" mage spellbook: v0.5.1
~TOB_HACKS/TOB_HACKS.TP2~ #0 #121 // "Scrollable" priest spellbook: v0.5.1
~TOB_HACKS/TOB_HACKS.TP2~ #0 #130 // Fix cure drunkeness effect (#164): v0.5.1
As you should use them after you have made all your custom changes.

Of course you could just edit the "BiG World Install.bat" after you have done the automated setup with the BWS to extract the files... so it includes the Ashes of Embers mod... or you should actually just edit the X'es to T'es...

1 other odd thing which I can't understand :- when I edited the BWP install .bat file, during a previous installation, I at first included the "O" in the item_revisions mod section of that file to ensure it would be downloaded. Yet, when I tried to install the BWP game, the item_revisions mod did not get installed at all. Yet, on a guess, on my next installation, I deliberately left out the 0, and , sure enough, against all logic, the game stopped its installation temporarily and asked me which components of the item_revisions mod I wanted to install.

O and 0 is not the same marker, as the big "o" is just a letter, and zero is a number. Now, the first zero in this %L%0%SK% is the language package, the second is second number after that is the component number... I don't know what the O stands for...

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 15 February 2010 - 03:23 AM.

#198 -Strontium Dog-

-Strontium Dog-

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:01 AM

1 other odd thing which I can't understand :- when I edited the BWP install .bat file, during a previous installation, I at first included the "O" in the item_revisions mod section of that file to ensure it would be downloaded. Yet, when I tried to install the BWP game, the item_revisions mod did not get installed at all. Yet, on a guess, on my next installation, I deliberately left out the 0, and , sure enough, against all logic, the game stopped its installation temporarily and asked me which components of the item_revisions mod I wanted to install.

O and 0 is not the same marker, as the big "o" is just a letter, and zero is a number. Now, the first zero in this %L%0%SK% is the language package, the second is second number after that is the component number... I don't know what the O stands for...

I meant to say that the 0 in question was indeed a zero not a letter and it was not in the "%L%0%SK%" gobbledygook but as a zero in the place after that where the components are listed by number, followed by the "|" sign. I just can't understand why when I include it, the main component of item_revisions doesn't get installed, but when I don't include the zero(0) component, the install.bat asks me whether I want to install the item_revisions mod. It makes absolutely no sense at all.

#199 -Strontium Dog-

-Strontium Dog-

Posted 18 February 2010 - 03:15 AM

OK, I'm having real trouble now installing my new BWP megamod help forum. PLus, I haven't been able to start a new thread for my new install because the computers I use for some stupid reason don't allow me to sign in to spellhold studios. Could someone please start a new thread for me, so that I can use that instead? Thanks.

OK< my main problem is that my install goes well(on tactical, not expert) up to the TXTmusic mod at which point the black install-window gets removed and installation stops completely. It's just before the BGTNEJ2 install. If I choose the tactical option but don't remove the "X"s from NEJ/BGTNEJ etc., then these don't get installed. There's no browse option on this forum, so I'll have to use free websites to provide links:-

Here's the weidu log file:-

http://www.gigasize....p?d=dx61f4nl48f

Damn, I forgot to download the bigworld.install files on my flash-drive. I'll have to provide links for those later.

#200 -StrontiumDog-

-StrontiumDog-

Posted 18 March 2010 - 03:05 AM

OK, I'm trying to install a new BWP megamod after some gamebreaking CTDs the last time. Trouble is that the game-install CTDs just before it's about to start installing the NEJ mod. I've thought it might be to do with my trying to install the item-revisions mod and the ashes to embers weapon proficiency components(giving all classes more weapons to specialise in etc.) The NEJ mod itself is fine, IMO.