Photo

Is it unwise to install megamods while playing BG2 for the 1st time?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Base the Bass

Base the Bass
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:24 AM

Hi.I intend to play BG2 TOB with all 6 chars created by me,and take in an NPC just to do his quest and then leave him and reimport my own char.

I'm playing the game for the first time,and I was advised that it would be best to finish it once normally,without any mods
But since I finish it once,I'll probably go to play nwn,I don't want to miss out in all of this mega mod content
So,I would like some more feedback on why it isn't wise to play for the first time with mega mods installed.

In case I do install megamods,I think from what I've read that I would have to install with this order:
soa,tob,and official latest patch.
then the mods:
ctb,sos,nej,tdd
then bp (if i got it correctly,bp fixes compatiblity issues between the previously installed mega mods)
then widescreen mod

will I need anything else?(this weidu thing,perhaps,do you have to install that?)or anything as vital as the widescreen mod?

thanks for any answers!

#2 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:59 AM

1) Are you ready to spend extra hours installing the mods so it all works right? Some people spend days.

2) Are you willing to deal with extra crashes to desktop(without saving) and various bugs the mods provide? Be aware that some of these bugs(either by standalone mods or via a multimod collision) may be game-stoppers.

3) Are you prepared to deal with the slowdowns? If your computer isn't the latest model(and sometimes even if it's top notch) your game may slow down after mod installation as your override folder grows above 1Gb.

4) Are you ready that the story will suck more? Not all mods are top notch, not all modders are professional writers. Some quests may lack a good story, or even a believable conclusion.

5) Are you ready to deal with the lack of balance? You will receive +5 and +6 uber items, deal with uber enemies and the game balance in core game quests will shift. It is inevitable that you may get bored at some point.

6) BG2 is a very-very good game. Over years, people return here to play it again and again, to check for new mods and to receive megamod help from helpful guys and gals here. If you like the game, you will return. Maybe not now, maybe in a few months. You will have a chance to play with mods and without mods. And if you hate the game on the first try - why would you need to spend hours installing megamods at all?

In short, it's your call. But folks who recommended you to do a vanilla playthrough first knew what they're doing.

#3 Base the Bass

Base the Bass
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:17 AM

thank you very much my friend!I can see more clearly now why I have been advised so.
I wasn't aware of game stopper bugs,or that it needs hours to complete the installation.I installed tdd in 2 minutes and uninstalled when I read that I need to startover to play it(I was in chapter 2).I also thought that the story lines would be better since the guys that wrote them,well..maybe not proffessionals but with more heart in them?
however you have convinced me.

since you took the time for such a comprehensive answer,could you point out any other vital utility mods that increase the easyness of gameplay.like the widescreen mod?

#4 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:36 AM

You should check out BG2 Tweak pack.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#5 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:38 AM

I've read that I would have to install with this order:
soa,tob,and official latest patch.
then the mods:
ctb,sos,nej,tdd
then bp (if i got it correctly,bp fixes compatiblity issues between the previously installed mega mods)
then widescreen mod

will I need anything else?(this weidu thing,perhaps,do you have to install that?)or anything as vital as the widescreen mod?

The (G3)BG2 Fixpack, and the Worldmap mod. As the CtB, SoS and TDD need the Worldmap mod, and that needs the BG2Fixpack...

So the order with my knowledge would be:
BG2:SoA, ToB, patch v26498(do not install the 99, as it's brokedown-beta).
BG2Fixpack
... and then really think hard if you wish bugs and install these in that case- install
Baldurdash-Weidu v166(except the fix component)
Never Ending Journey v2v42b
NEJ2v602
...and after this, it's safe again.
TDD v1.12
SoS v1.13
CtB v1.11
BP v1.77 with this posts .tp2 file replacing the mods original...
BP v1.77ToBfix
BP-BGT-Worldmap mod.
Widescreen mod v2.0, or if you go with the v2.1, install it from the "widescreen-v2.1.exe", as the very last mod, as the WeiDU won't properly start anymore after it. A bit more info.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#6 Base the Bass

Base the Bass
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:47 AM

You should check out BG2 Tweak pack.

thanks!

#7 Base the Bass

Base the Bass
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:53 AM

The (G3)BG2 Fixpack, and the Worldmap mod. As the CtB, SoS and TDD need the Worldmap mod, and that needs the BG2Fixpack...

So the order with my knowledge would be:
BG2:SoA, ToB, patch v26498(do not install the 99, as it's brokedown-beta).
BG2Fixpack
... and then really think hard if you wish bugs and install these in that case- install
Baldurdash-Weidu v166(except the fix component)
Never Ending Journey v2v42b
NEJ2v602
...and after this, it's safe again.
TDD v1.12
SoS v1.13
CtB v1.11
BP v1.77 with this posts .tp2 file replacing the mods original...
BP v1.77ToBfix
BP-BGT-Worldmap mod.
Widescreen mod v2.0, or if you go with the v2.1, install it from the "widescreen-v2.1.exe", as the very last mod, as the WeiDU won't properly start anymore after it. A bit more info.

Kullyok did convince me to play through without mods the first time.I'll follow the installation order you suggest if I play the game a 2nd time.Or perhaps,I'll just install only one mega mod?won't that help to add content while avoiding the bugs?

#8 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:06 AM

1) Are you ready to spend extra hours installing the mods so it all works right? Some people spend days.

2) Are you willing to deal with extra crashes to desktop(without saving) and various bugs the mods provide? Be aware that some of these bugs(either by standalone mods or via a multimod collision) may be game-stoppers.

3) Are you prepared to deal with the slowdowns? If your computer isn't the latest model(and sometimes even if it's top notch) your game may slow down after mod installation as your override folder grows above 1Gb.

4) Are you ready that the story will suck more? Not all mods are top notch, not all modders are professional writers. Some quests may lack a good story, or even a believable conclusion.

5) Are you ready to deal with the lack of balance? You will receive +5 and +6 uber items, deal with uber enemies and the game balance in core game quests will shift. It is inevitable that you may get bored at some point.

6) BG2 is a very-very good game. Over years, people return here to play it again and again, to check for new mods and to receive megamod help from helpful guys and gals here. If you like the game, you will return. Maybe not now, maybe in a few months. You will have a chance to play with mods and without mods. And if you hate the game on the first try - why would you need to spend hours installing megamods at all?

In short, it's your call. But folks who recommended you to do a vanilla playthrough first knew what they're doing.

Well said. Well written. Required reading for n00bies.

#9 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:17 AM

Hmm, suggestion...

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#10 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:49 PM

Hmm, suggestion...

Makes better content for the comments and discussion thread.

----------------
Listening to: Lucid Dreams (October 2005) - mixed by Cardamar, Kick Bong and Morlack (Chillout - D I G I T A L L Y - I M P O R T E D - ambient psy chillout, check out our trippy flavors!)
via FoxyTunes

Edited by Azazello, 11 May 2009 - 10:55 PM.

#11 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 02:05 AM

Hmm, suggestion...

Makes better content for the comments and discussion thread.

I like much Kulyok's respond, too. :)
Yes I suggest, too, that this should be included in a pinned topic, so the new BG gamer can find it directly.

Greetings Leomar
A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World