Photo

Replacement lightmaps for Baldur's Gate city

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 07:58 PM

I apologize for this audacious thread resurrection, but I'm a bit confused. Has this mod ever been finished? In other words, does "done" mean "quit playing and modding the original game" or "it's complete and there's nothing else to fix"?

Yes, it's finished, the only thing that bothers with this mod is that the link got disassembled when the forums were updated years ago. New link. The "Done" refers to a whole another thing...

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#42 Fiann of the Silver Hand

Fiann of the Silver Hand
  • 286 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:17 PM

Is this not superceded by Yovaneth's most recent work, BG Graphics Overhaul?  I have both, and it looks like everything that this mod does, Overhaul does as well and then some.

#43 Tash

Tash
  • Validating
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 05:02 PM

Probably the final version as I'm done with BG.

This is what initially led me to believe it wasn't a "whole another thing" and that Yovaneth stopped fixing more lightmaps as he simply completed his onetime playthrough.

Is this not superceded by Yovaneth's most recent work, BG Graphics Overhaul?  I have both, and it looks like everything that this mod does, Overhaul does as well and then some.

That's true only if you play BGT, TuTu or BGEE; the original game isn't supported in the mod, as far as I know.

#44 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 02:48 AM

'Done' meant I'd had it with the entire game series after multiple playthroughs and creating multiple mods. Someone (who shall remain nameless) managed to persuade me otherwise, hence the Graphics Overhaul. GO includes the updated lightmaps. The original lightmap mod changed just the very poor lightmaps in parts of the City - the lack of QA didn't extend beyond its walls. GO can't be applied to the original game because the areas outside Baldur's Gate do not support the Extended Night flag. My guess is that Extended Night was a late addition to the Infinity Engine.

-Y-

#45 Tash

Tash
  • Validating
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:44 AM

Thanks for your explanation. I'm going to install the mod for my next BG1 playthrough. ^_^

By the way, I've recently listened to the old interview on IER. It's good that you're still around -- the City would've long crumbled without your vigil!

#46 Fiann of the Silver Hand

Fiann of the Silver Hand
  • 286 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 03:06 PM

Since you're one of the few modders still posting here, how were you able to determine which lights were a mistake and which were intentional?  I ask because I just finished the Nashkel Mines (BGT), and ar4404 has some odd purple lighting there (on the bridge).  Is this simply an omission or an editorial decision?

Edited by Fiann of the Silver Hand, 09 May 2015 - 03:07 PM.

#47 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 05:23 PM

AR4404 was probably an omission - I don't know what the OE area number is so I can't doublecheck. The 'wrong' lighting in Baldur's Gate was obvious when you got into the relevant areas e.g. NPCs displaying as if they were in deep shadows when they were actually standing under a bright light. It was a long time ago but IIRC it was the sewers that set me off on the correction trail. The lighting on the NPCs and party in many areas of the sewers bore absolutely no resemblance to the ambient lighting e.g. NPCs being coloured purple when standing in a 'green light' part of the sewers. When I started looking at the original lightmaps and comparing them to the areas they represented it was (pardon the pun) blindingly obvious which ones were wrong.

Again, if I was to make a guess, much of the city of Baldur's Gate displays signs of being caught in the release crunch and so had less care taken over it than all of the other major areas. It's only a guess, mind.

-Y-

#48 Fiann of the Silver Hand

Fiann of the Silver Hand
  • 286 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:45 PM

Okay, thanks.  I'm just slowly playing through to see what I need or want to change for my own mod, but I'll keep a stockpile of changes relevant to this mod, and try to get them uploaded somewhere when I'm done.