Photo

Having a weird problem (ToB)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bardan the Slayer

Bardan the Slayer
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 10:26 AM

Hey guys - having a very weird problem here.

I have a creature, called Thak, and as part of a cutscene, he is meant to appear, and initiate dialog.

Now, this has been driving me nuts. I've been creating the dialog with WeiDU (naturally), and using NI's CHR > CRE conversion tool (latest version) to make the CRE file.

Now, for the lonest time I thought it was just my scripting being crap, because Thak would appear, walk towards the party, but no dialog would initiate. If I summon him using the CLUA console and force-talk him, I get "Thak has nothign to say to you."

Thinking my conditions were messed up, I gave him a stripped-down dialog file where all he did was say one line, with no conditionals, no nothing. It still didn't work. I even tried giving him a dialog that I know works on another CRE. No dice.

Then, for the hell of it, I assigned him one of the useless leftover dialogs from BG1 that is still floating around in the ToB biffs, and it worked perfectly!

Next, i even took the time to create a one-liner dialog with IDU, and i get "Thak has nothing to say to you."

The summary :

Thak will not speak to me when assigned his own custom dialog compiled from .d format (Even when he's CLUA'd in).

Thak will not speak to me when assigned his own custom dialog made in IDU (Even when he's CLUA'd in).

Thak will not speak to me when assigned a custom dialog that works perfectly in the same game on another character (Even when CLUA'd in).

Thak *will* speak to me if assigned a dialog that is already present in the game (tried with quite a few of them), both when CLUA'd, *and* in the course of the cutscene.

Some other CRE assigned some dialog I've created in .d format works perfectly

Some other CRE (neeber) assigned the dialog file I've been creating in .d format gets the dreaded "Neeber will not talk to you"

So, in short, there seems to be some problem with the dialog I've been creating (even the little dummy one)

BEGIN ~ADialog~

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN Thak
  SAY ~I am Thak.~
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Yes, you are.~ EXIT
END

That's the extent of it. Now, I get the feeling that either I am running into a bug with NI, WeiDU, or am (far more likely) simply doing something intensly stupid. Can anyone enlighten me?

#2 Kismet

Kismet

Mild Thang

• 348 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 10:46 AM

For his script you need to do something like:
IF
  Global("TalkedToPC","GLOBAL",0)
  See(Player1)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
   SetGlobal("TalkedToPC","GLOBAL",1)
   Dialog(Player1)
END
For his dialog you need to have some sort of condition in there

IF ~NumTimesTalkedTo(0)~ THEN BEGIN etc...

#3 -icelus-

-icelus-

Posted 24 August 2003 - 10:48 AM

Well, I know SQUAT about proper dialog coding, but I can guess, just the same :P

Try adding a condition to the IF ~~ THEN part, usually

BEGIN ~ADialog~

IF ~NumTimesTalkedTo(0)~ THEN BEGIN Thak
SAY ~I am Thak.~
IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Yes, you are.~ EXIT
END

DARN IT DARN IT DARN IT! I always take too long to hit SUBMIT!!!

#4 -Sim-

-Sim-

Posted 24 August 2003 - 10:50 AM

You need a state with a condition to come true for dialog to be displayed. You don't have any (valid) conditions, so nothing will ever be displayed.
So do what Kismet and Icelus said. :)

#5 -Moonfruit-

-Moonfruit-

Posted 24 August 2003 - 10:57 AM

Also, if I'm not mistaken the name of the dialogue file (ADialog) must not be between ~~'s.

#6 Bardan the Slayer

Bardan the Slayer
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 10:57 AM

Ah, it worked. Isn't it typical that by trying to save time by not bothering to code his full, proper dialog until I had the cutscene working, I actually ended up making sure nothing worked? Ah well, chalk another one up for 'Bardan's Intensly Stupid And Elementary Errors' file :)

Thanks for the prompt and accurate response, all :)

#7 Bardan the Slayer

Bardan the Slayer
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 August 2003 - 10:58 AM

Also, if I'm not mistaken the name of the dialogue file (ADialog) must not be between ~~'s.

Nopey, I dind't change that, and it still worked, so I have managed to find at least one thing I wasn't doing wrong in there ;)

#8 -Sim-

-Sim-

Posted 24 August 2003 - 11:04 AM

No, it can be either. I personally always use ~~s, but I think it's down to personal preference.

#9 -Moonfruit-

-Moonfruit-

Posted 24 August 2003 - 11:11 AM

No, it can be either. I personally always use ~~s, but I think it's down to personal preference.

Hmm, I really should keep up to date with these things then... ;)