Freeze when i rest, or screen fades

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 -eignhpants-

-eignhpants-

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:25 PM

whenever I go to rest or engage in conversation where the screen fades. I can move the mouse for a second but eventually it just stops and i have to ctrl+alt+delete to get out.

this is on vista 64. with all widescreen, and the fix pack.

#2 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:24 AM

Could you be a bit more specific? What resolution are you using? Do you have the 2 CD or the 4 CD version of the game? Have you tried the game in the original resolution ?

My first guess is that your problems come from the fact that you have Vista 64. It is known that PST doesn't work well with vista. Check this and see if it can help you: http://www.bootstrik...ment_vista.html

#3 Leonidas_from_XIV

Leonidas_from_XIV
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 01:40 PM

Interesting, I seem to have the same the same problem. I am using the 2CD version of PS:T (reported as 1.1) together with the Widescreen mod 2.2, your UI mod (which looks great, btw), and the Fixpack, Unfinished Business and Tweaks. Everything works fine until I arrive at the "Office of Vermin Control" and let Phineas talk me to sleep: the video appears and plays and afterwards, the game freezes. It also freezes when I skip the video.

Any ideas what I could do?

#4 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:38 PM

Hmm. My Fixpack restores the post-sleep-dialogue restart that were in the original game for Emoric and Phineas. Mebbeth's sleep restoration was restored in UB.

If those are the only places where you're experiencing this problem, then the issue is more likely related to my Fixpack than Ghostdog's UI.

That said, I can't duplicate this on the 3 characters in question, so, could you try sleeping via dialogue with some other character I didn't modify, such as the Sensate who can allow you to sleep in the Festhall?

Qwinn

#5 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:01 AM

The only known problem with crashes related to the UI (or more specifically to the widescreen mod, since my mod doesn't really have anything to do with it) happens when you've changed the resolution in-game. Now, If there is no other way to overcome this crash you're experiencing , you could try uninstalling one of the mods, try to sleep and if it's successful re-install it. Just to be sure you could make a second installation of torment and then try to fiddle with this. I'm not sure if uninstalling the fixpack and then re-installing it will cause any major problems , Qwinn could shed some light on this.

If you decide to do this, in order to make a second installation , just copy all the files to another folder (except the DATA files you've copied from the CDs, no need to take more space) and then change the first line (under ALIAS) in the torment.ini of the new installation , HD0:, to the correct path of the new installation. Leave the CD1-CD5 paths the same.

After that if you want to check my mod, uninstall the UI and widescreen mod, sleep and if it works go to the outside area of the district and save the game (don't save inside small areas and houses) Then quit the game and re-install the WDmod and my UI. If the UI doesn't have anything to do with the crash (and most likely it doesn't) then next you should check the fixpack. I know this is a lot of work , but I don't have any other possible solutions handy.

Of course if nothing works, then keep the saves, uninstall everything (including torment) and then make a new installation of torment. Who knowns, maybe some file was corrupted during the installation.

#6 Leonidas_from_XIV

Leonidas_from_XIV
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:32 AM

Hi, thank you both for your answers!

If those are the only places where you're experiencing this problem, then the issue is more likely related to my Fixpack than Ghostdog's UI.

I doubt that it is related to Ghostdogs UI, but there was this topic which was explaining the exact same problem that I was experiencing.

That said, I can't duplicate this on the 3 characters in question, so, could you try sleeping via dialogue with some other character I didn't modify, such as the Sensate who can allow you to sleep in the Festhall?

I'm not that far in the game, but will look for the festhall. If all else fails, I'll try reinstalling and applying the patches one by one, just like Ghostdog mentioned. Maybe I can find out where exactly it is failing.

#7 Leonidas_from_XIV

Leonidas_from_XIV
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 05:52 AM

I'm not that far in the game, but will look for the festhall. If all else fails, I'll try reinstalling and applying the patches one by one, just like Ghostdog mentioned. Maybe I can find out where exactly it is failing.

So, I uninstalled the Tweaks and Unfinished Business but that didn't help. Once I uninstalled the Fixpack, the game crashed while trying to load my savegame. Then I reinstalled the Fixpack but it would still freeze after the dialogue with Phineas. Then I uninstalled Ghostdogs UI but apart from looking weird, the game still freezed. When I save into a bigger area and save there, uninstall the widescreen mod altogether and only keep the fixpack I can load the game, but when I try to enter Phineas Office, it crashes. When I uninstall the Fixpack too, loading the save fails.

I think I'll try a clean reinstall next.

#8 Leonidas_from_XIV

Leonidas_from_XIV
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:25 AM

I think I'll try a clean reinstall next.

I tried this:
  • Install the game
  • Copy over the 2nd CD, adjust Torment.ini
  • Install Fixpack
  • Install UB
  • Install Tweaks
  • Install Widescreen Mod
  • Install Widescreen UI
Unfortunately, the Widescreen UI uses an older WeiDU version and tries to upgrade itself, which fails. I then deleted all Setup-*.exe files, so it didn't detect it was outdated and ran. I got the following errors (maybe an updated WeiDU could help, don't know):

[... many, many lines of text ...]
2CD version
fixme:msvcrt:MSVCRT__sopen : pmode 0x01b6 ignored
Copying and patching 1 file ...

bmp patching x1024

Engine Patched at Offset: 0x232DEF

gbarfore patching x1024

Engine Patched at Offset: 0x04234D

gbarback patching x1024

Engine Patched at Offset: 0x042163
Copying 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...

In state 115, I expected one of these tokens:
  [0] EOF
  [16] DEFINE_ACTION_MACRO
  [20] LOAD
  [23] AUTO_TRA
  [41] DEFINE_PATCH_MACRO
  [47] README
  [81] ASK_EVERY_COMPONENT
  [85] ALWAYS
  [107] BEGIN
  [120] LANGUAGE
  [151] MODDER
  [156] NO_IF_EVAL_BUG
  [180] SCRIPT_STYLE
  [266] MENU_STYLE
  [292] VERSION
  [297] ALLOW_MISSING
Parse error (state 115) at ~~

[WIDESCREEN/WIDESCREEN.TP2] PARSE ERROR at line 8 column 1-89
Near Text: ~widescreen/readme-widescreen.html~
	GLR parse error

[WIDESCREEN/WIDESCREEN.TP2]  ERROR at line 8 column 1-89
Near Text: ~widescreen/readme-widescreen.html~	Parsing.Parse_errorERROR: parsing [WIDESCREEN/WIDESCREEN.TP2]: Parsing.Parse_errorfixme:msvcrt:MSVCRT__sopen : pmode 0x01b6 ignoredSUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED      PST UI with 30% bigger fonts (Only for the English Version)

The game itself runs fine, but freezes as usual.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I am using Wine 1.1.32, but this is the *only* thing that is not working, and Wine is not displaying any errors nor crashing.

There's another person with freeze-problems on forced rest.

#9 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:40 AM

On some rare occasions there are some problems with mods using different versions of weidu, although I can't see how it could affect anything like this "forced sleep" situation. If you want to make sure there aren't any installation warnings , extract and then rename the latest weidu.exe (I've uploaded it below) to each corresponding executable of each mod : "Setup-GhostDog's-PST-UI.exe" , "Setup-PST-Fix.exe" , "Setup-PST-Tweak.exe" , "Setup-PST-UB.exe". Then copy all these in to installation folder and overwrite the older files. This way all mods will be using the same version (v2.11) as the widescreen mod. After that, install all mods.

Now if this is in someway related to Wine, I wouldn't know how to help. If you're not very far into the game maybe you could play again from the start in case something is wrong with the savegames. (I assume you've already tried to play from a previous save, without any luck)

Attached Files