Photo

How to identify which .CRE is the actual character?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kuugen

Kuugen
  • 81 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:14 PM

topic.

basically, I have the problem that I want to change some stats of some NPC's, but I'm either too stupid or too slow to learn doing that with weiDu D:, so I do it with IE.
The first big "what the f***" comes with Imoen where I have a DOZEN .cre's of her ( and another dozen from mods -_- raaaage )

some .cre's are just for cutscenes, i guess, or other bull****, but how do i see which are the ones I need?

#2 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:39 PM

Please avoid swearing, cheers.

#3 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:21 AM

Edit your saves with Shadow Keeper.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#4 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 07:22 AM

I thought there was a list out there, somewhere - BGT docs are pretty good; perhaps it is there. But a quick rundown, assuming you are working with SoA and ToB:

most NPC .cre files have multiple leveled versions, so that when you meet them at different levels yourself they are closer. Tutu is a bit more involved, and BGT even more so, but the most intricate version is Imoen, so I will jump to the end and run out the most complicated - all the others are much easier to figure out yourself :)

IMOEN6.CRE // before spellhold
IMOEN10.CRE // before spellhold
IMOEN15.CRE // before spellhold
IMOEN211.CRE // joined in spellhold
IMOEN213.CRE // joined in spellhold
IMOEN215.CRE // ToB summoned

Someone will want to check that list - for some reason I thought IMOEN10.CRE was the joinable after spellhold, but I am probably wrong - the naming convention for her should be IMOEN# for "Imoen who is not playable beyond the beginning" and IMOEN2# for "imoen who is a real party-joinable".

I agree on the editor bit - ShadowKeeper is good for save editing. If you want more advanced, go for NI. If you want to do full projects, DLTCEP.

Edit: if you are looking for which one is active in your savegame, open up Shadowkeeper and look at those nuumbers - do not bother with editing her before Chapter 3, as a new .cre gets summoned when she rejoins (unless you install a special mod). For all other NPCs, just look at the #, modify that one (the one in the savegame) and play away to your heart's content.

Edited by cmorgan, 02 August 2009 - 07:25 AM.

#5 Icendoan

Icendoan

"An Infinite Deal of Nothing"

• 1723 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:32 AM

If you have the debug console enabled, there is a key command: CTRL-M. If you press these while over your character, the debug console will open (doesn't matter what you enter) and press Enter to close it. In your chat log, there is a debug dump of your object (the character), which includes things such as the .CRE filename, current and max HP, morale and known/memorized spells.

It can also tell you about the area you are in, the difficultly of a locked door or chest, and so on.

Icen
Proud member of the 'I HATE Elminster!' Club!

Mods in development: Keeping Yoshimo