Photo

Which origin are you going to choose first?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Poll: Which origin is your choice? (37 member(s) have cast votes)

What will YOU choose to be?

1. Human Noble (10 votes [27.03%])

Percentage of vote: 27.03%

2. City Elf (9 votes [24.32%])

Percentage of vote: 24.32%

3. Dalish Elf (3 votes [8.11%])

Percentage of vote: 8.11%

4. Human/Elf Mage (11 votes [29.73%])

Percentage of vote: 29.73%

5. Dwarf Commoner (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Dwarf Noble (2 votes [5.41%])

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

7. Undecided (2 votes [5.41%])

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:59 PM

Alright, everyone knew this poll would pop up sooner or later, so here it is. ;)

Dragon Age: Origins contains 6 different origins, each unique in their own way, and each will affect the way you experience the game. Neither origins or classes are gender restricted. All of the origins have set surnames (á la Mass Effect). You can see the possible race/class/origin combinations here.

Personally I'll go for the Mage origin (human male) on my first run (doh, I bet no one saw that coming :P).

Human Noble l City Elf l Dalish Elf l Mage l Dwarf Commoner l Dwarf Noble

I'll end this post with a quote from the game:

Morrigan: "Tis cold in my tent, all alone..."
Human Noble: "Then get a thicker blanket."

#2 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:05 PM

Human noble warrior, most obviously. Tis dark fantasy, after all.

Morrigan: "Tis cold in my tent, all alone..."
Human Noble: "Then get a thicker blanket."

I think I know what another response would be... ^_^

Edited by GeN1e, 30 September 2009 - 02:06 PM.

Retired from modding.

#3 KIrving

KIrving
  • 244 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:39 PM

I can't resist going the angsty route of the female city elf on my first run through. Probably as a rogue.
"I'm just here to get the job done, let someone else be on the poster." Female Commander Shepard

#4 Aeryn

Aeryn

Peacekeeper

• Modder
  • 764 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:13 PM

More than likely, what's going to happen (after I spend hours agonizing over my characters' appearances and possibly running through all of the Origin stories just so I'm absolutely sure which I want to try first :D) is I will make a female Human Noble rogue and a female Dalish Elf warrior and run through both of them at the same time. The human will probably be "nicer" and less of a bloodthirsty psychopath, and the Dalish will be very...unpleasant. That way I can play a nice character if I'm in a nice mood, and a "slaughter the world" character if I feel the urge. And that way I can feel like I'm romancing Alistair and Zevran at the same time! :P

Visit My Etsy Shop!

Completed Works:

Sarevok Romance

Haer'Dalis Romance

Sarevok Friendship

Contributions:

Romantic Encounters

Works in Progress:

Haer'Dalis Friendship

#5 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:12 PM

I usually always go Humans in fantasy games from the start...So human noble sounds like the first path for me...Though on my second run I think Ill go City Elf...And do the dwarfs last

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#6 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 09:57 PM

Elven mage, first time around.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#7 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:51 PM

What will YOU choose to be?
Human Noble	  [ 4 ] 	** [50.00%]
City Elf		 [ 1 ] 	** [12.50%]
Dalish Elf	   [ 0 ] 	** [0.00%]
Human/Elf Mage   [ 2 ] 	** [25.00%]	<--
Dwarf Commoner   [ 0 ] 	** [0.00%]
Dwarf Noble	  [ 0 ] 	** [0.00%]
Undecided		[ 1 ] 	** [12.50%]

Personally I'll go for the Mage origin (human male) on my first run (doh, I bet no one saw that coming :P).

Elven mage, first time around.

Mine #3
Who didn't vote?

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#8 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 03:58 AM

Who didn't vote?

I didn't. I was in a rush on my way out this morning, and didn't take the time to elaborate. I went for "undecided", because I'm hesitating between Elven Mage, Dalish Elf and Human Noble. It'll all depends on what mood I'll be in, and the type of gameplay I'll want to experience (either the hack n slash approach, always easier the first time around, or maybe the spellcaster which suits my personality more). So yeah, that's why I went undecided.

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#9 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:34 AM

Who didn't vote?

I didn't.

Well, I was thinking more on the lines of Me, Choo Choo or Archmage Silver... all of the three that had already said that they were to vote Mage which only go 2 votes... Hmm, it was Archmage Silver, surprice, surprice... or then I have more than one paranoid mind.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 01 October 2009 - 11:12 PM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#10 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 05:36 AM

You're just more paranoid than you expected. :P

I get "You have already voted in this poll".

Thinking I wouldn't vote for mage... tsk tsk.

#11 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:26 AM

Well, I was thinking more on the lines of Me, Choo Choo or Archmage Silver... all of the three that had already said that they were to vote Mage which only go 2 votes...

Ah, my bad, I thought you were referring to the lone "undecided" vote. ^_^

or then I am more than I have more than one paranoid mind.

Yeah, that too. :P

Back on topic, I have to say, I'm rather intrigued by the City Elf description (poor elven girl taken away by a human noble on her wedding night. That'll inspire righteous fury in pretty much anyone, right?). I have to say, they've done a good job to entice us: aside from the dwarves who never really appealed to me (maybe because I'm 5'11 ^_^ ), the origins are interesting and appealing.

Edited by Eleima, 01 October 2009 - 06:43 AM.

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#12 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:32 AM

Back on topic, I have to say, I'm rather intrigued by the City Elf description (poor elven girl taken away by a human noble on her wedding night. That'll inspire righteous fury in pretty much anyone, right?). I have to say, they've done a good job to entice us: aside from the dwarves which never really appealed to me (maybe because I'm 5'11 ^_^ ), the origins are interesting and appealing.

That one is pretty interesting, yes. It's different depending on which gender you choose... I suspect that it was originally designed to be played with a female city elf though.

#13 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:48 AM

Need more dwarves in here! Probably dwarf noble first, then dwarf commoner. Then maybe human commoner.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#14 minnamaarit

minnamaarit

In recon mission...shush!!

• 429 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:08 AM

Elven mage for the first round, then maybe city elf. I'll play all of the origins for sure, it just may take a while. ;)
*Frak Ferrari. Frak Porsche. Give me Nimbus 2000. Or a levitate spell.*

Posted Image
Mwhahaha!! I has Boo! And since I has Boo, I has Minsc too! Beware, evil buttocks! >:D

#15 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:58 AM

For those interested, you can take a look at the specialization options for each class here. There will supposedly be four options for each class, ranging from Bard to Berserker to Shapeshifter.

#16 Bluenose

Bluenose

The gnome-sage of Ral Worcester

• 1565 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:11 AM

I have to admit that I'm shocked by the story implied by the female city elf origin. You're taken away from your wedding to be raped by a human nobleman, in the presence of a (human) priest. I'm horrified by this, but it also really makes me want to play that origin. I understand from the forums that the male city elf borrows a sword from a visiting Grey Warden and goes to rescue his intended, but that's not as strong a story. In fact I think a couple of the origins seem to be written with a character of a particular gender in mind, though I'm not certain about this with any but the city elf.

I think my first game will be a Dalish elf, if I can find a way to make the ranger/archer type I have in mind with the available classes. If not, human noble warrior type. I play mages too often to want to do another just now.

Edit:
Based on AMS' post, it's a Dalish Elf Rogue/Ranger for me.

Edited by Bluenose, 01 October 2009 - 10:14 AM.

Back from the brink.

Like RPGs? Like Star Wars? Think combining the two would be fun? Read Darths and Droids, and discover the line "Jar Jar, you're a genius".

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

#17 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:53 AM

The city elf origin is a pretty dark one indeed, based on the "rights" of the so called "nobility" of medieval times. On the plus side, you get to stabbity stab the wedding crashers to death with pointy objects no matter which gender you pick.

Personally I think the devs got that idea from watching Braveheart.

#18 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:36 AM

All of the origins really interest me, but I think the Dalish and the Human Noble and Mage origins interest me less so. I think my first playthrough, however, will be a human noble. I've got a character in mind for each, though, so I'll get around to doing them all sooner or later.

I think the writing team have done a really good job of making the dwarves look interesting. I've never bothered with them before, but for the first time, I plan on giving them a go. It helps, of course, that female dwarves actually look quite cute.

#19 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 12:03 PM

The dwarf noble origin has been ranked as the most interesting origin in many previews so far.

#20 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 01:11 PM

For those interested, you can take a look at the specialization options for each class here.

Inquisition must die. That leaves three options for me. But without more info on each spec I'm not going to decide.

PS

I have to admit that I'm shocked by the story implied by the female city elf origin. You're taken away from your wedding to be raped by a human nobleman, in the presence of a (human) priest.

Now, does everyone understand why I prefer HN over the rest? :twisted:

Edited by GeN1e, 01 October 2009 - 01:15 PM.

Retired from modding.