Photo

Which origin are you going to choose first?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Poll: Which origin is your choice? (37 member(s) have cast votes)

What will YOU choose to be?

1. Human Noble (10 votes [27.03%])

Percentage of vote: 27.03%

2. City Elf (9 votes [24.32%])

Percentage of vote: 24.32%

3. Dalish Elf (3 votes [8.11%])

Percentage of vote: 8.11%

4. Human/Elf Mage (11 votes [29.73%])

Percentage of vote: 29.73%

5. Dwarf Commoner (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Dwarf Noble (2 votes [5.41%])

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

7. Undecided (2 votes [5.41%])

Percentage of vote: 5.41%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Icendoan

Icendoan

"An Infinite Deal of Nothing"

• 1723 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 01:34 PM

Mage, first time around. Undecided on race.

Icen
Proud member of the 'I HATE Elminster!' Club!

Mods in development: Keeping Yoshimo

#22 Solstice

Solstice

Fluffy Pink Bunny

• 956 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 02:29 PM

Dwarf noble for me. My favorite standard fantasy race, and I'd love to play one with a real dwarfy plot initially. The elves can all go hug their trees while I burn down the forest.
"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!" -Charname, Baldur's Gate 1

"Power corrupts. And absolute power is actually pretty neat." -Tom Clancy

"Is it possible to take Favored Enemy: Forum Poster?" -Someone who shall remain anonymous

#23 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:40 PM

The elves can all go hug their trees while I burn down the forest.

Expect a fair amount of arrows in your rear end if you decide to do that... ;)

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#24 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:14 PM

Human. I've never liked elves - not since I read LOTR as a kid. I thought they were really up themselves.

#25 Aeryn

Aeryn

Peacekeeper

• Modder
  • 764 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:41 PM

The elves can all go hug their trees while I burn down the forest.

My crazy little Dalish will be too busy putting human heads on pikes to mind too much. ^_^

For the first time in any game, I'm very interested in playing a dwarf. I will definitely play a dwarven commoner at some point.

Visit My Etsy Shop!

Completed Works:

Sarevok Romance

Haer'Dalis Romance

Sarevok Friendship

Contributions:

Romantic Encounters

Works in Progress:

Haer'Dalis Friendship

#26 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:54 PM

Whilst I doubt the possibility of ever trying out DA:O for at least say.. 3-4 years; were I to make a choice it'd definetely be the City Elf on first try.

(And even then, getting it at all would depend on whether from the gameplay mechanics I've seen in the previews don't still make the feel of character control seem rather alien, it works but come on - even the slightest deviation from the hulking mechanics of NWN would be nice for a change, and also, ignoring the fact the storyline appears to differs little from the typical theme that is common in the genre - ergo, save/destroy/conquer the world from/with/in place of.. obvious evil regardless of agenda... Not that important to deciding though.) <_<

Reason?
Mostly because I tend to feel more at home with characters that make their place in a world through the sheer force of their own will alone - and don't happen to be someone's prophetical messiah right off the bat either (that is a really annoying plot point, really only should be used as a last resort I say). By the sounds of it, you'd owe pretty much nothing to anybody, and the closest thing on your mind would either be those you care for, or your own agenda, none of this "serve the king before I sort out my own problems" jazz.

Least that's what I hope for anyway, if they have cut out the freedom of choice with some origins, then let's just say waiting might be preferable for a change. Maybe I've set my standards way too high (wouldn't be surprised, it's like a mental disease :P), but pure laziness is becoming an overused gimmick, especially in an aging gaming industry as advanced as the one we have today.

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#27 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:54 AM

Top three origins at the moment:

1. Human Noble [ 7 ] [35.00%]
2. City Elf [ 5 ] [25.00%]
3. Human/Elf Mage [ 4 ] [20.00%]

@ Solar's Harper

It's a bit early to assume that much of the game, and I honestly don't think that BioWare would release something that would fall below Fallout 3 or equivalent in quality. It's not like they're producing... Fable. :lol:

#28 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 05:08 AM

Expect a fair amount of arrows in your rear end if you decide to do that...

Alas, dwarves wear actual armor, unlike the pansy elves. And this line of previewed dialogue had me cracking up:

Player: "Elves have strange powers."

Sten: "Being easily conquered does not constitute a 'power'."

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#29 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 05:32 AM

@ Solar's Harper

It's a bit early to assume that much of the game, and I honestly don't think that BioWare would release something that would fall below Fallout 3 or equivalent in quality. It's not like they're producing... Fable. :lol:

True that, just the idea of redressing a recycled thing is a bit irritating I guess. They deserve the benefit of a doubt though, and they'll have it. :)

Besides, they'll have a huge fan base almost whatever the result won't they? :lol:

Alas, dwarves wear actual armor, unlike the pansy elves.

Not to mention the damnable beards or beer/ale guts. Suppose if the elves set fire to the favored alehouses and brothels, then, the score might be evened. ;)

Edited by Solar's Harper, 02 October 2009 - 05:36 AM.

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#30 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 12:36 PM

My crazy little Dalish will be too busy putting human heads on pikes to mind too much. ^_^

Huh? Haven't we agreed back then that it's your head that'll sit on a pike? :devil:

Mostly because I tend to feel more at home with characters that make their place in a world through the sheer force of their own will alone - and don't happen to be someone's prophetical messiah right off the bat either (that is a really annoying plot point, really only should be used as a last resort I say). By the sounds of it, you'd owe pretty much nothing to anybody, and the closest thing on your mind would either be those you care for, or your own agenda, none of this "serve the king before I sort out my own problems" jazz.

I mostly agree. Serving the king is a part that hate especially, like in my recent NWN2 playthrough, with that bald and bold lord threatening to take "his" keep from me. Still I'm pretty much fed up of being treated like scum by "honorable" would-be-allies, so I think HN can provide less frustration on that part than lowlife origins. Besides, it'd sure be nice to have lines like these

Brave of you, sir, to cast an envious eye on me and mine. I suggest you look elsewhere, least I consider removing your sight in a more permanent fashion.

as an option ^_^

Retired from modding.

#31 Aeryn

Aeryn

Peacekeeper

• Modder
  • 764 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:15 PM

Huh? Haven't we agreed back then that it's your head that'll sit on a pike? :devil:

Only if your fat little dwarf legs can catch me first. :D

I love that the female dwarves are actually cute for once.

Visit My Etsy Shop!

Completed Works:

Sarevok Romance

Haer'Dalis Romance

Sarevok Friendship

Contributions:

Romantic Encounters

Works in Progress:

Haer'Dalis Friendship

#32 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:30 PM

I love that the female dwarves are actually cute for once.

Dunno about the "for once" part. World of Warcraft does a very good job with the female dwarves, in my opinion.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#33 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:13 PM

Only if your fat little dwarf legs can catch me first. :D

I trust you aren't referring to me, for I most certainly am not a belching ale-skin, legs tangled in my own beard ;)

Lineage2's dwarven women look like what people call 'girls' too.

Retired from modding.

#34 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 03:19 AM

Hmmm...

I'm thinking, either a Dalish Reaver, Berserker, Assassin, or maybe even a Duelist.
I imagine the starting point of a social outcast spiced up with a hint of murderously confrontational attitude should provide a curiously bloody playthrough. ^^

Also I think that the 'getting stronger the closer you're to death' concept of the Reaver could provide for some interesting and superbly satisfying 'winning by the skin of yer teeth' battles.
Maybe.
As long as it doesn't turn into a session of 'getting your ass royally kicked'. o_o

#35 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 03:32 AM

Reason?

Least that's what I hope for anyway, if they have cut out the freedom of choice with some origins, then let's just say waiting might be preferable for a change. Maybe I've set my standards way too high (wouldn't be surprised, it's like a mental disease :P), but pure laziness is becoming an overused gimmick, especially in an aging gaming industry as advanced as the one we have today.

I couldn't agree more. I'd like to see more games where you're a regular Joe (or Josephine) and also more games where I'm not forced to play a character half my age. I'm 42 - I want to be able to play someone a bit more grizzled and a bit less naive, for a change. [/rant]

Ideally, I'd like to play a human commoner, but that doesn't seem to be an option, unfortunately. So noble it is, for now.

#36 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:51 AM

I couldn't agree more. I'd like to see more games where you're a regular Joe (or Josephine) and also more games where I'm not forced to play a character half my age. I'm 42 - I want to be able to play someone a bit more grizzled and a bit less naive, for a change. [/rant]

Mass Effect and Knights of the Old Republic (1 and especially 2), depending on your dialogue choices.

#37 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 12:10 PM

Heh, Shepard's still only 29. That's better than 19 (Fallout 3) or 20 (BG) and I believe the character in NWN2 is very young, but I haven't started that one yet. But really, yes, it would ne nice *not* to be shoehorned into a particular age/character background and just have the freedom to be who you want to be. Anyway, rant over.

#38 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 01:02 PM

I'd say that the IWD series and NWN2: Storm of Zehir give you a lot of freedom when it comes to character age, as neither contains any reference to your character's age.

Plus there's always Planescape: Torment -I wouldn't even try to guess how old the Nameless One is. :P

Yep, it's getting off-topic.

#39 Discordia

Discordia
  • 324 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 04:05 AM

Human mage for me...probably followed by human and dwarfen nobles.

#40 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:48 PM

Hah, we have a three-way split between the votes for the number one spot:

Human Noble [ 7 ] [25.93%]

City Elf [ 7 ] [25.93%]

Human/Elf Mage [ 7 ] [25.93%]

As a curiosity, no one has yet to vote for Dwarf Commoner.