Spell resistance in enemies

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Markus Ramikin

Markus Ramikin

Grey Knight Librarian

• 105 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:01 PM

I don't get it, it seems that a high-end enemy like the Moridor box fiend will take no damage at all from some high-end spells. For instance I reloaded the game a number of times to try the Chain Lightning Storm on it, and I have yet to see it take any damage at all. On the other hand, Force Missiles or Swarm Curse worked pretty much every time. Is it a random thing?

I would very much like to be able to make informed decisions as to what spells to learn/prepare/use on difficult enemies. Like, when playing Kotor or Kotor 2, to break through saves I know I need a high Force DC, which I know exactly how to calculate (level, will and charisma bonus, Consular bonus etc). To break through Force Immunity I need Force Breach. And so on. Compared to that, I feel damn ignorant about how things work in PS:T.

So basically can someone explain the underlying mechanics to monster spell resistance please?

Edited by Markus Ramikin, 18 October 2009 - 10:59 PM.

*coughQwinncoughLotharcoughskullscough*

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:44 PM

Well, it's all within the rules of the game, the spell can have the ability to avoid Magic Resistance(Immunity). I say it to be so, cause for example if you have Magic Resistance of 5%, you actually have 100% resistance 1/20 of the times. <_<

The spells should have this in their descriptions, but at least in PS:T, I can't see it.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#3 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:19 AM

I believe it's basically a d100 roll (if the result <= resistance, discard the effect). Most hostile spells should be affected by resistance, but some higher-level spells look to bypass it (although they really probably shouldn't). Most friendly spells do bypass resistance. (A lot of the spell effects are actually hardcoded as part of the projectiles in this game, so it's not easy to tell what exactly happens with all of the spells.)

You have no means to affect resistances in PST, so armed with this knowledge, you're still going to have to just pick up a stick and start smacking demons.

#4 Markus Ramikin

Markus Ramikin

Grey Knight Librarian

• 105 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:46 AM

Hm, thanks.

It's the most ridiculous and anticlimactic thing, to spend something like a full minute staring at the (intended as) awesome animations of the Celestial Host level 9 spell. And then see both enemies I targetted (Glabrezu) make the save.

Edited by Markus Ramikin, 19 October 2009 - 08:50 PM.

*coughQwinncoughLotharcoughskullscough*