• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:02 AM

If there's no hope for you, I guess there isn't much for me either! I think your parodies, your little ditties are pretty brilliant. Congrats on a job well done! I think my fave is the last one (maybe because I like Weird Al's parody so much).
Kudos! :)

Edited by Eleima, 11 December 2009 - 04:10 AM.

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#2 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:02 AM

Thanks :) I spent way too much time on the last one, though.
And the mirror, it reflects a tiny dancing skeleton, surrounded by a fleshy overcoat and swaddled in
A furry hat, elastic mask, a pair of shiny marble dice, some people call them snake-eyes, but to me they look like mice
-- "Nothing's gonna change my clothes", They Might Be Giants

#3 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:18 PM

Um...probably should have done this earlier, but never mind. Questions? Comments? Feel like mercilessly flaming me for my abuse of innocent songs?
And the mirror, it reflects a tiny dancing skeleton, surrounded by a fleshy overcoat and swaddled in
A furry hat, elastic mask, a pair of shiny marble dice, some people call them snake-eyes, but to me they look like mice

#4 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:26 PM

No merciless flaming on this board! Besides, methinks the little collection of these songs deserves much the opposite. I love the range that you have; both the hilarious American Pie parody (*love* the chorus so much :wub:) to the more serious song about Saradush. You have a nice meter that works really well for your songs, and even if I'm not familiar with all of the originals, your writing and choice of topics more than makes up for it! I for one am looking forwards to more. :D

Through lightning, travel shadow,
Through hell and all above,
Surviving sword and arrow,
Bound stronger by the love

And in the end a witness,
To where the death has lain,
Silent through the sorrow,
Where innocents lie slain

#5 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:07 PM

Might some stuff lurking on my hard drive. I know I have two other parodies of "The Gallant Forty." I think I want to do more Disney parodies, though. I mean, "A Whole New World" (from Aladdin) is just asking to be a conversation between Bhaal and Bhaalspawn: "I can open your eyes, take you murder by murder..." Ohh, now I really want to do that... I am disturbed, methinks.

#6 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 01:05 PM

You're really fond of Rosin the Beau, I notice. ;) But I'm not complaining. It's a favorite of mine, even if I did always think it was Rosin the Bow, as in violin bow. Odd, though, that the sheet music you posted differs so from the version I know. But that's the thing with folk songs, I guess. Sometimes the words change a little, sometimes the tune changes, but it gets remembered for up to a thousand years (thinking of Ring around the Rosy).

These are great! Do you take requests?

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#7 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 01:21 PM

I always thought it was "bow" as well. In "Jug of Punch," I thought for a long time that the line "I'll tune my fiddle and rosin my bow" referred to Rosin the Beau. As for requests...I have no idea. Most of these, I write as I think of them. I started singing "To the Bookstore" the other day after listening to the Real McKenzies "To the Battle," and the Mulan parody I did was based off my observation that "Five" rhymed with "survive." I suppose it depends on the song, but generally I need an original song and a parody theme for it.

Edited by Ipsissimus, 08 December 2009 - 03:17 PM.

#8 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 04:26 PM

Wow. Put like that, I can totally understand why Xan comes off as depressed as he is. A masterful rendition of the song, although I had to stumble once or twice to get the lyrics to fit what I remembered of the song. Still, I love the original twist you put on it! *wanders off to listen to the original again*

Edited by Shadowhawke, 07 January 2010 - 04:26 PM.

#9 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:13 PM

:) Thanks. I spent a fair amount of time on the song, but I'm happy with the result.

#10 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:52 PM

Hmm, I like this new one. I'll admit I've never heard the original, but given the events of the game what you've done with it is very powerful. Saradush burning was an image I'll not forget for a long time.

#11 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:24 PM

Again, thank you. Saradush is one of the few parts of TOB that I found even remotely interesting...perhaps too much so.

#12 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 02:26 AM

One thing I have to say is that you're making me interested in songs I've never heard before! I especially loved your adaptation of 'Minority' out of the latest ones; Bhaal twisting Sarevok in rhyme is amazing. :D And the line with Tamoko was beautiful.

Edited by Shadowhawke, 15 January 2010 - 02:28 AM.

#13 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 11:27 AM

I think that the "Minority" one is the only one I actually worked on, even though it was mostly tweaking and re-arranging the song. But thank you. :) I'd probably parody songs no matter what, but it's always good to know that someone's reading these and not, for instance, silently laughing at them.

#14 Shadowhawke

Shadowhawke

Starlight Seeker

• Modder
  • 1568 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:35 PM

I'm definitely silently (or even vocally) laughing at the humourous ones, but your latest works have been mostly quite somber. I love the feel that came across with Eldreth Veluuthra. Once again, I'll admit I haven't played that part and don't even know the original song, but your version most definitely tugs at the heartstrings. I also thought you used repetition here to very good effect. :)

#15 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:37 AM

Thank you. In the Eldreth Veluuthra one, I just followed the rhyming scheme of the original song, making full use of a rhyming dictionary in the process. In-game, Verella is a very minor character, and I don't think she even says anything--I just needed a three-syllable name.