The fewest mods - the best experience?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:10 AM

anyway such quarrels about "who is better" are quite useles 'cause bg is in general balanced game and one can get max profit of each character if he knows how to)

May I disagree, like totally. But in my view, what classes and kits to take all depends on the players choice, not on what's good and what's not, as you can justify nearly everything with a proper mindset.

And might I add that no matter what you choose in the BWP (be it Gnome Barbarian or Half-Orc Conjurer ... if it's possible :P) everyone wins at the end like a total badass!!! :D (there are TONS of stuff that helps you along the way to Bhaaldom ;) and you don't need to be a super-18 character to get them all :lol:)

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#22 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:08 AM

atweaks
scsII
bg2 tweak pack
widescreen

aTweaks should go after SCSII as of the latest version. It should also go after RR (all components).

#23 Vampire Killer

Vampire Killer

Dark Metamorphosis

• 82 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 04:39 AM

Would I have to install RR minus those two options, then install atweaks, BG2 tweakpack, then run RR setup another time and install those two previous options? I think that might work.
I can do this!

#24 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:15 AM

Would I have to install RR minus those two options, then install atweaks, BG2 tweakpack, then run RR setup another time and install those two previous options? I think that might work.

No.

As noted above, aTweaks must go after all RR components. Since both mods share certain resources, it's very important to never install any RR component after aTweaks. Anyway, aTweaks can be safely installed after BG2 Tweaks and SCSII in case that's your worry.

Edited by aVENGER, 19 January 2010 - 07:31 AM.

#25 Vampire Killer

Vampire Killer

Dark Metamorphosis

• 82 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:25 AM

Something else, would I be running into trouble if I wanted to add Ascension, Item Upgrades and Tactics? Would that scenario be a case where I could use the BWP installer and just trim the install down to those selected mods plus what I already planned on using?

I'm still a little unclear on what order I need if two RR components conflict with the BG2 Tweakpack. Barring using the BWP installer for a greatly reduced amount of mods, could I just install RR in its entirety AFTER BG2 Tweakpack? Thanks.
I can do this!

#26 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:33 AM

You could just unpack all the mods you need to your BGII - SoA folder along with the BWP Fixpack and Installpack ... then run the BiG World Install.bat without editing anything ;) It won't install any mods you haven't unpacked :P

And about RR-BG2Tweaks, the second to last post here says it was solved in the most recent verion of BG2Tweaks :D

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

#27 Vampire Killer

Vampire Killer

Dark Metamorphosis

• 82 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:02 AM

Are you serious? That would be great. I just started the unpacking process of BWP, but I'll cancel it and do it your suggested way if that's more bullet-proof. Thanks.
I can do this!

#28 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:04 AM

Don't forget the Fix and installpacks though ;) Good luck :D

#29 Vampire Killer

Vampire Killer

Dark Metamorphosis

• 82 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:16 AM

Thanks Lollorian. One question, if I drop my wanted mods in there (and the install/fixpack) then run the batch file, will it automatically install all compatible component options? For example, if I put Tactics in there, would it automatically install the Improved Ilyich component or would it ask me? I don't want that particular component, but anything else is all right. I might just leave Tactics/Ascension out, though. Thanks again.
I can do this!

#30 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:22 AM

You'll need to edit the install.bat for that :P This post might help :)

#31 Vampire Killer

Vampire Killer

Dark Metamorphosis

• 82 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:18 AM

Okay, I just did it and gave it a test run. I notice that Irenicus still uses old casting effects even though I put BG2 tweaks unpacked in my directory, which contains the IWD casting effects. Could it be that none of the tweakpack got installed? Also, when the short install is over is it safe to use Dungeon Be Gone? Thanks.
I can do this!

#32 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 05:31 PM

Attach the WeiDU.log and a xipped BiG World Debug.txt to check if anything failed to install :P

About the casting graphics, it isn't installed by default ;)

Install Component 70 [Icewind Dale Casting Graphics (Andyr)]? [N]ot Install
Makes no sense together with Lost Crossroads Spell Pack

... but attach the stuff just in case something else goes wrong ...

And about DBG, I've been using it right after Aurora's Shoes ... yeah, it'll probably work after biffing too :P

#33 Vampire Killer

Vampire Killer

Dark Metamorphosis

• 82 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:25 AM

Okay, I need to learn how to edit the install.bat file. By default it leaves out many things I would like to include in my game. For one thing, BG2 tweaks is missing lots of options. I also notice that it doesn't install all the 1pp mods that I really like. I read over the link you provided earlier about how to edit the component settings, but it isn't making a whole lot of sense to me right now. I also read some of the Big World Setup pdf and it's hard for me to focus on what I'm looking for as it doesn't look like there's a beginning or end to the component list, it's like a big wall of words. I'm sure the mod names are in there to keep things organized but I must be missing it. I'm essentially stuck in a catch 22 right now because I want to install by hand but the automatic install.bat features are pretty handy.
I can do this!

#34 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:58 AM

You can edit the BAT by righclicking on it and selecting "edit". You're going to be in Notepad, in all probility, but you can always open a real text editor and copy the contents to it.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#35 Vampire Killer

Vampire Killer

Dark Metamorphosis

• 82 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:15 PM

Yeah, I've been able to view the contents of it, just didn't know how to change the component choices. The good news is that I think I've got the hang of it now. Editing as we speak.
I can do this!

#36 Vampire Killer

Vampire Killer

Dark Metamorphosis

• 82 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:52 PM

Well, I thought I was pretty clever when I caught on to editing bat files. I looked up each component number in the PDF and then edited, added, or removed just a few different components. Maybe 6 changes I made. I got home this evening and started a new install with the edited batch file, and lo-and-behold I have a bunch of errors. They seem to be related to things I didn't really mess with, which is puzzling. I usually expect to be the cause of most errors :)

Anyway, I only added Divine Remix and Unfinished Business to the small amount of mods in my directory. The errors found seem to be in Divine Remix and Rogue Rebalancing. I'm going to attach my weidu.log and big world debug log, and then I'm going to bed. I'm too tired to fiddle with this any more today. I love these games dearly but I'm getting frustrated. Thanks again.

Attached Files

• Attached File  logs.zip   69.45K   209 downloads

I can do this!

#37 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:16 PM

Anyway, I only added Divine Remix and Unfinished Business to the small amount of mods in my directory. The errors found seem to be in Divine Remix and Rogue Rebalancing.

According to your debug log, something (possibly an one of BWPs cleanup utilites) deleted RR#EVAL.2DA from the RR\LIB folder. To fix this, re-download the RR archive, re-extract it to its proper folder and don't let any "cleanup" utilities mess with it.

P.S.

Note that the current version of the BWP installer won't install aTweaks' new Fiend related components.

#38 Vampire Killer

Vampire Killer

Dark Metamorphosis

• 82 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:04 AM

I see. So, to get those new Fiend components I need to wait on a new BWP? Might as well just use the previous version of aTweaks in this case.
I can do this!

#39 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:05 AM

Or you could add them like the IWD_Casting graphics for BG2Tweaks ;) (but you'll need their component numbers ... which aren't in the Guide)

#40 Vampire Killer

Vampire Killer

Dark Metamorphosis

• 82 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:20 AM

Yeah, that's true. Do you happen to have them? Or do I need to ask aVENGER? Thanks.
I can do this!