Bug list *spoilers*

• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#21 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:31 AM

Or the game mentioning Sten's death at Lothering when my protagonist doesn't even know who Sten is - she never talked to him.

I can't find where this happens. I don't find any reference to Lothering at all in the epilogue slideshow. Where did the game mention this?

It's Sten's codex reference. It's all empty except for these words about his death.

EDIT: BTW, just to confirm, a female PC can't marry Alistair unless they're becoming king and queen, right? No eloping while Anora rules, right?

True. Yep, Alistair is really an amoral fellow.

I think item duplication are the worst bugs now. For example, both Bodahn and Quartermaster "refresh" their items(first visit to Ostagar/night in Ostagar, first visit to camp/visit camp later) - for example, you can buy two copies of Blood Dragon Boots/Gloves, or two copies of backpack/tomes.

Or, for example, Duncan duplication at Ostagar(day/night) - you can pickpocket him for the same valuable items twice. Or Lord Dace with an enchanted dagger - you can get the dagger from him twice(this one I've only heard about, never checked) - in the Aeducan Thaig and in the Diamond Quarter.

#22 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:35 AM

Actually, I've had this happen. I picked the dialog options to further ask Jowan about the ritual, but turned him down at the end (after a companion interrupted the conversation). After that I went to get the Circle of Magi, and proceeded to follow through their quest line - all went smoothly, but my codex entry still states that Isolde died, although she obviously didn't.

Nailed this one too! Found the script where the entries were being set, I was looking at codex entries for the -quest-, but apparently what you guys were looking at was the codex entries for the characters. In fact, the character entry for Connor was also getting messed up saying his mother died, and the reverse situation was also true: if you DIDN'T save Isolde, the codex would read as if you did in both Isolde and Connor's entries.

Qwinn

#23 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 10:44 AM

It's Sten's codex reference. It's all empty except for these words about his death.

You mean this?

He remained in his cage to await death, and most likely found it.

If so, hmm. You're saying it shouldn't create an entry for him at all if you never talk to him? Alright, I'll take a look... honestly, I don't think this one is that big a deal, I doubt many people never even talk to him and even if you didn't, well, other people sure mention him in Lothering... but okay, no entry at all is logical enough, I'll see what I can do.

As for item duplication, URF. I'm not sure *what* I can do about that. It's beyond my modding skillz for now... haven't really dived into the whole merchant thing yet. (Funnily enough, I've still gotta tackle the exact same issue in PS:T for Crumplepunch's inventory being replaced when you complete his quest... at least it's only *one* case there, though).

Then again, I think I'm running out of fixes in this thread that I wanted to address, so I might as well give it a shot.

(Making pretty good progress here, I think... never even opened up the toolset until about 12 hours ago!)

Qwinn

#24 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 11:10 AM

Okay, done: If you never talk to Sten, you won't get a codex entry for him when Lothering is destroyed.

Qwinn

#25 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 12:51 PM

In Ostagar (first time around), if you gave the prisoner food and got the key from him, but never opened the chest, after the strategy meeting your codex would say that you never gave him any food. You *might* also have your "You gave him food (no mention of the key)" codex entry overwritten by "You never gave him any food" at that point, but perhaps not, depends on how "finalized" journal entries work. But, whether it did or didn't do that second part in vanilla, it won't do either part going forward. Now, if you leave after getting the key but you don't open the chest, the quest will close with the existing "You gave him food (no mention of the key)" entry.

Also, looking at the dialogue, it *seems* to me like if you get the key from him in that way, and then talk to him again, something bad will happen. I'm guessing rather than saying "My belly thanks you" like he's supposed to, he'll ask you for food again, i.e., quest resets just like Allison in Lothering's does. I'll have to get to that point in the game and confirm (just transferred to a new computer and didn't think to pull my DA:O saves off of it, sigh). If someone has a save there and can spot check that for me, I'd appreciate it.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 18 February 2010 - 12:52 PM.

#26 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:06 PM

Yikes! Might have to revise that last fix. I took a look at the Prisoner's wiki page:

http://dragonage.wik...Hungry_Deserter

...and it says that if you get the key but don't use it on your first trip to Ostagar, not only can you use it in the Return to Ostagar DLC, but there'll be a very nice mage staff in it when you return.

(That wiki page also notes the bug I'm fixing here at the very bottom of the page as well, btw)

So... hmmm. I'm thinking maybe if you have the key, I should just leave the quest open? The open quest entry you would have at that point is:

You acquired a key from the prisoner, presumably for one of the chests in the Circle of Magi part of the King's Camp. The chest will very likely only be reachable when the Tranquil are not present, such as when they're gone for the evening.

Course, if someone doesn't get Return to Ostagar, then they'd never be able to close it. Maybe I can find a way to check if it's installed and only close it if it isn't. Any opinions?

Qwinn

#27 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 01:24 PM

I needs some sleep now, but, I'm pretty sure after I wake up and finish some TBH work, I can fix the human noble bug where you get stuck after talking to Ser Gilmore before he can talk to you. Pretty sure I see what the problem is.

Qwinn

#28 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:17 AM

Urf, no, the Ser Gilmore bug is worse than I thought, now that I see it in game. If I'm understanding correctly, the problem is that when you first open the door, Gilmore is clickable for a few seconds *during the fight*. And that triggers the conversation that you are only supposed to get *after* the fight. I previously thought the problem was that you were able to click on him after the fight ended but before he initiated conversation... that doesn't appear to be the case, at least, I can't replicate a problem that way.

That makes it harder to fix. I thought I could just make the dialogue do the door-opening stuff (it is currently in the same part of the script where he initiates the dialogue), but that's a poor solution here, as it won't prevent you having a nice casual chat with him while a bunch of enemies are shooting and swinging at you. Bleah. Lemme see what I can do.

Qwinn

#29 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:44 AM

Well, after what seemed like a really promising start to this project, I'm about ready to give up. I absolutely cannot find a consistent way for my changes in the toolset to actually *take* and appear in my game. So far, for every 12 or so times I change the code, I'll have one time where the changes actually affect my game. And I have no idea why it worked that 1 in 12 times and doesn't work the rest of the time.

Posted a thread at the Bioware forums asking for help, but not getting much attention:

http://social.biowar...8/index/1310210

Qwinn

#30 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 06:29 AM

Actually, I've had this happen. I picked the dialog options to further ask Jowan about the ritual, but turned him down at the end (after a companion interrupted the conversation). After that I went to get the Circle of Magi, and proceeded to follow through their quest line - all went smoothly, but my codex entry still states that Isolde died, although she obviously didn't.

Nailed this one too! Found the script where the entries were being set, I was looking at codex entries for the -quest-, but apparently what you guys were looking at was the codex entries for the characters. In fact, the character entry for Connor was also getting messed up saying his mother died, and the reverse situation was also true: if you DIDN'T save Isolde, the codex would read as if you did in both Isolde and Connor's entries.

Qwinn

Nice find!

#31 Darziak

Darziak

Neutral

• 681 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:54 AM

I got afew bugs since I started playing again.

The wolves seem to be magnetized to the dead red hair woman.

I somehow teleported way off from talking to the boat guy.

Shale goes lava diving

(The dog isn't a bug I'm just using a mod)

#32 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:03 AM

Hm... I've never seen any of those myself. Neither have I heard of such bugs... any chance they could be mod related? AI and pathfinding issues?

#33 Darziak

Darziak

Neutral

• 681 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 04:41 AM

I think the survivial skill affects the wolves gathering around the red hair woman, I never seem to have the problem otherwise. I also think the skill somtimes causes the undead to not come down the hill while defending redcliff with the knights.

Being teleported into the lake looks like a random incident, I talked the guy who would take you across but the templars took over and when I finished talking to him I ended up there.

While in orzammar I noticed shale wasn't with the party so when I selected her I found myself under the lava.

I've had these happen before and that was with no mods.

#34 Darziak

Darziak

Neutral

• 681 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:17 AM

I found some bugs again.

First of all wynne somhow broke her arm.

There was a texture glitch if anyone was naked

Apparently the bug with a broken arm carried over to Anders and Oghren.

Which may have affected Anders joining. :blink:

All of these are one off bugs that can be fixed by reloading the game thankfully.

#35 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:06 PM

Good news! I think I've figured out the craziness that the toolset is enough that I can resume work on the Fixpack. I just picked up Awakenings and, since I've migrated to a new computer and didn't bother transporting the save games, I'll be running through Origins again so I can test my fixes.

As of right now, the Ser Gilmore bug of getting his post-fight dialogue prematurely is definitely tested and *fixed*. Yaaay. You have no idea how much agony I went through trying to get the damn changes to stick, but it finally worked, thank God.

So, now, before I continue my game, I'm going to reapply all the fixes I described above, and will test 'em as I go along. Wish me luck.

Qwinn

#36 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:33 PM

Ok, here's the fixes I'll be testing on this run:

*SPOILERS*, obviously.

1. Human Noble: At the beginning of the main hall battle, it was briefly possible to initiate dialogue with Ser Gilmore and prematurely trigger his post-combat dialogue. Doing so would make the exit never open, forcing a reload. Now, if you talk to him during that brief interval, he just shouts one of several combat barks instead. (Fix tested)

2. Similarly, during "Arl of Redcliffe", you could break the game by talking to Ser Perth at the very beginning of the fight with Bann Teagan (assuming you entered the castle with Ser Perth, of course). Doing so would repeat the dialogue you are only meant to have with him at the gate, before you actually enter the castle, with game breaking effects. Now he responds to dialogue attempts during that brief interval with one of his combat barks instead. (Fix tested)

3. During the quest for Sten's sword, it was possible to go directly from the scavenger in Lake Calahad to Dwyn, skipping Faryn completely. (Fix tested)

4. Infinite approval exploit in Sten's second camp dialogue fixed. Can no longer repeatedly ask "Why do the Qunari care about the Blight?" which led to a +4 approval option. (Fix tested)

5. Ancient Elven Boots will now appear in the Lothering Chantry cabinet. This was only bugged in the PC version of the game. (Fix tested)

6. Lothering: Allison's trap quest will no longer reset to the beginning after completion. (Fix tested)

7. Completing "The Shaper's Life" codex miniquest will now give the player one of the 3 previously unobtainable Shaperate's Blessing weapons, dependent on the player's class. (Fix untested)

8. City Elf: Cyrion will no longer appear during the coronation if the player allowed Caladrius to kill or enslave him. (Fix untested)

9. If you allowed Isolde and/or Connor to die, their codex entries would say that they lived, and vice versa. (Fix tested)

10. If Lothering was destroyed and you never even talked to Sten, you were still getting a codex entry about his death that implied you had met him. (Fix untested)

11. During the "Lost to the Curse" quest (side quest encountered during Nature of the Beast), under the following conditions, you would get neither XP nor Athras' Pendant when telling Athras of his wife's fate: 1) He actually promised you the amulet when you took the quest, 2) You choose the specific reply "She died, Athras. But not before she sent her love.", and 3) neither Leilana nor Morrigan are present at the time. (Fix tested)

12. Unimplemented XP reward for persuading Ser Landry that Wardens would never ally with Darkspawn restored. That this was intended is supported by a comment attached to that reply: "ACTION: The PC should get a good xp bonus for this because he's put doubt in a staunch opponent of the Grey Wardens. It should at least equal the XP for killing him in a duel." A line matching that description already existed in rewards.2da, so I just activated the reward that what was already there. (Fix tested)

13. Ser Nancine in the Crime Wave quest had several bugs. As an exploit, you could get the sword from her in dialogue, and then use the Stealing skill to pickpocket a second copy off of her. Also, in various dialog paths, you could get Nancine to indicate she was giving you 5 silver or 2 gold, but you didn't actually receive any money in either case. Now you will. (Fix tested.)

For the time being, I'm not going to do the fix for the epilogue if the PC marries Alistair and they rule as king and queen, because there is 0 chance I will ever personally test it. Let me get a successful fixpack released with the above fixes, and if that all works and goes smoothly, I'll implement the Queen PC dialogue fix then and hopefully someone willing to play through with a human noble female PC all the way to the end can test it. (I'm particularly nervous about it because it is the only fix so far that would require adding text to a dialogue file, which during my previous botched attempts at modding the new lines weren't showing up properly when I tried it).

BTW, is anyone interested in actually using this if/when I ever get it released?

BTW, stuff like graphic and texture glitches, I have *no* idea how to fix. Someone with that kind of know-how will have to address those. I'm just addressing plot/codex/item/scripting issues.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 04 April 2010 - 10:44 PM.

#37 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:58 PM

BTW, I can't figure out how Loghain could be showing up at the coronation if he is killed by Alistair, as the condition being checked for is that he was recruited into the party. Both shouldn't be possible. Plus, I killed him in my first game and I'm pretty sure I would've noticed if he'd shown up, so I couldn't duplicate it either.

Qwinn

#38 Darziak

Darziak

Neutral

• 681 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 03:10 PM

an unintended bug

I didn't know they give stat boosts.

#39 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:31 AM

Well, fixes 1-5 are tested and working properly.

Ya know, when you talk to Alistair in camp, you get the option to ask him "So you said this Arl Eamon raised you?", and I'm positive he never actually says this to you before that point. Annoying. I thought it might be a fixable bug, but I don't think it is. I think it was supposed to have been mentioned during Flemeth's dialogue, because when he quips about being raised by dogs, there's the option "That's not what I remember you telling Flemeth.". But it never is mentioned during that dialogue, aand there's no hidden/inaccessible lines about it either, I looked. Bleah.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 28 March 2010 - 08:32 AM.

#40 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:50 AM

I'm always interested in a fixpack if you can come up with one, as I haven't really seen any unofficial patches for DA so far. Also, if you're playing Awakening, you probably should keep an eye out for bugs, because there are more than one...

I got wildly varying maximum amounts of entries for most categories in the Codex - for instance, Creatures 32/172, Creatures 32/526 on two separate starts of Awakening.

I also got animation glitches, including an animation switch for Arcane Shield, not to mention the annoying game stuttering that I didn't have before.