Leopard love!

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#61 Phobia

Phobia

Zeke's everything

• 87 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:12 PM

Busy busy... Zeke's alive, he's just sleeping at the moment. *psst* And looking darn cute while he does... ^_^ I'm afraid the previews will have to wait, though. Sorry about that.
Left the modding forums

#62 Phobia

Phobia

Zeke's everything

• 87 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 01:39 AM

I'm trying to select a few previews to show, but the process is turning into a lot of rewriting :lol: I can do better than the load of rubbish I wrote!
Left the modding forums

#63 AE-Shadow-Huntress

AE-Shadow-Huntress
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:23 AM

:lol: Ooh! Previews! *tells self to be patient* But take your time...just wanted to say I'm still really looking forward to the mod! ^_^

#64 Valiant

Valiant
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:26 AM

Hi :)
soooo, how itīs going? Canīt wait to see some screens :ph34r: this mod idea has some magic inside...

Btw, would it be possible to put somewhere all that you have made so far, I would like to try it (mean basic dialogs, check the shapeshifting times, etc...) if itīs not secret. I guess not, but at least I tried to ask, couldnīt help myself :cheers: :blink: :wacko:
Tower Of Deception creator

Posted Image
Posted Image

#65 Ipsissimus

Ipsissimus

[Insert witty statement]

• 356 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:09 PM

Yeah, I bet there'll be no shortage of playtesting volunteers if you ask :)

And quality over quantity, I suppose. Even if it means a delay...such a dilemma...
And the mirror, it reflects a tiny dancing skeleton, surrounded by a fleshy overcoat and swaddled in
A furry hat, elastic mask, a pair of shiny marble dice, some people call them snake-eyes, but to me they look like mice
-- "Nothing's gonna change my clothes", They Might Be Giants

#66 Phobia

Phobia

Zeke's everything

• 87 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:40 PM

I can understand you're all eagerly anticipating Zeke, but it'll be a while before I'm happy with it. I'm a perfectionist. ^_^ The rewriting is going well, and the coding is tiring. The basics seem to work, but I'm concerned about the leopard/human shift and everything related to it. Once I code everything, and run a sample test myself, I'll ask for playtesters. ;)

Btw, would it be possible to put somewhere all that you have made so far, I would like to try it (mean basic dialogs, check the shapeshifting times, etc...) if it´s not secret. I guess not, but at least I tried to ask, couldn´t help myself

You mean making a huge spoiler topic? Or more like asking for a private workroom forum where you can give advice and/or playtest?

Edited by Phobia, 29 June 2010 - 10:44 PM.

Left the modding forums

#67 Valiant

Valiant
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:01 AM

Or more like asking for a private workroom forum where you can give advice and/or playtest?

This is what I meant...

Posted Image
Posted Image

#68 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:36 AM

I'm a perfectionist.

You might want to see if you can curb this tendency. Sure, you need to make sure your mod isn't buggy, but if you agonize over every line in every dialogue, you're never going to finish the mod. I'm quite serious about this. The modder says "The mod is done, or mostly, I'm just tweaking the dialogue a bit." Two months later, it's "My computer exploded and I didn't have a backup." This may even be the truth. I had a NWN2 mod 95% done and lost everything due to a toolset crash. I started over, but most modders don't. Every community has its mod graveyard.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#69 Valiant

Valiant
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:21 AM

So the point is - always keep the backups... :blink: :ph34r:

No, seriously, berelinde is right. Thereīs nothing bad on perfectionism, but I can assure you - no matter how much effort youīll put into it or how many hours youīll spend over it hunting bugs - there will be bugs. So itīs always better to release at least first playable version, say, some beta, or version 0.9, and let it test to other modders and selected players, than trying to catch up every known bug by yourself and keep it on disc unreleased.

Modders in many cases use to release so called pre-releases - incomplete versions focused only to some part of the mod. And if everything is going well, then modder proceed to next part, and so on...

You should do the same thing, if you want to be successful... :woot:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#70 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:22 AM

I'm with berelinde. Write everything first. Do not edit as you go. I cannot stress this enough.

When the mod is written, coded and ingame, then make your edits. I actually suggest getting an external proofreader or seven rather than editing it yourself; you'll have spent so much time with the text that you can't be a good judge of quality or even in some cases character.

This is one of the biggest mistakes people make. Don't fall into the perfectionist trap!

#71 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:10 PM

Yeah, leaving the editing for a proofreader is a good idea, especially if they have free reign to make suggestions about the dialogue itself. It's hard to be objective about your own work. Which brings us back to the perfectionist thing. It's tough to spot what's good and what's bad in your own writing. You may think something is garbage, but another person may think it's the best line in the mod. Or you may think you're getting a point across brilliantly only to find out that your audience isn't getting it. It happens. It can be a little off-putting until you get used to it, but once you do, you'll wonder how you ever managed without one.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#72 Phobia

Phobia

Zeke's everything

• 87 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:18 AM

Well, I do backup my stuff a lot. ^_^ But I get what you all mean, and I do think you have good points. Getting myself a proofreader or two does sound like a good idea, and I'll try not to edit my dialogue too much from now on. That said, I am happy with the edits I did make. :) But I may change my mind if I revisit it in a month or two hehe. ^_^ I'm hopeless! :lol: Seriously though, I'll go find a couple of proofreaders. i'll figure out a way to hand my work over to them and discuss it. A workroom forum might work, but I don't want to bother admins too much. ^_^

Edited by Phobia, 08 July 2010 - 02:25 AM.

Left the modding forums

#73 Phobia

Phobia

Zeke's everything

• 87 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:11 AM

Preview! :wub:

Edwin: Indulge me, feline. How did you get yourself into this pathetic predicament?
Zeke: I...don't know why I should tell you, Edwin.
Edwin: (Hmpf. Secretive fool...) You should inform me because we travel together. I have the right to know. Besides, secrets will get you nowhere.
Zeke: If that is true...why are you being so secretive yourself?
Edwin: Edwin Odesseiron does not have secrets. Merely a lack of competent companions with more intelligence and skill than the average simple baboon.
Zeke: If I'm so unworthy, then I suppose I really don't have to share.
Edwin: Bah. Keep it to yourself if you must, puss. I will unfold this matter sooner or later anyhow, and make you regret this choice.

Minsc: Friend Ezekiel! You have returned! But wait, where is your cat?
Zeke: Oh, he's...sleeping. Yeah.
Minsc: Boo finds it curious that you let your cat do most of the fighting. You are a strong warrior yourself. You should fight alongside your animal companion! Like Minsc and Boo!
Zeke: I... (shakes head) I take turns with him, so neither of us gets too tired.
Minsc: So that is why! It pleases Boo that you take such good care of your companion. I think he is a little envious, maybe. Don't worry little Boo, Minsc would never do anything bad to you!

(Minsc is so cute when he's oblivious like that ^_^ )

It's not much, but there you have it.
Left the modding forums

#74 Phobia

Phobia

Zeke's everything

• 87 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:59 PM

I've updated the first post. He has portraits now, thanks to Nix! ^_^
Left the modding forums

#75 Phobia

Phobia

Zeke's everything

• 87 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:17 PM

I've been doing some coding and some testing, despite some tough situations at home.
Left the modding forums

#76 Shaitan

Shaitan
  • 800 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:49 PM

:cheers:

#77 baldur46233

baldur46233
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:20 PM

Just wanted to say that this mod looks very promising and I bet it's going to be amazing when it's released. :D

And I hope everything gets better at home for you...

#78 Phobia

Phobia

Zeke's everything

• 87 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:59 PM

Thanks! ^_^ :hug: I appreciate it. The home situations seem to have returned to normal, though I do have a tour coming up, which means no time for modding. :(
Left the modding forums

#79 Phobia

Phobia

Zeke's everything

• 87 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:38 AM

Hihi! :D Today I'm leaving for a UK tour, so I won't be around for a while. My deepest apologies to everyone.
Left the modding forums

#80 Suspiria

Suspiria
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:41 PM

Well, this mod sounds awesome. And yay, another male who will romance males. Not enough of those, if you ask me. :D

I didn't read a whole lot about the nature of the curse, but I did see someone say that it sounded a lot like lycanthropy to them. This curse reminds me of the curse Kelemvore suffered before his cure and then ascention to Godhood. Kelemvore turned into a black panther, but he was by no means a lycanthrope.

By the way, the portraits are very tasty.

Do not apologize for having to be away for a time, most mods for BG take ages upon ages and we are all used to waiting for the good stuff, and this mod sounds very much like its going to be some of the good stuff. I do wish I had seen this sooner though so that you could see my post before you left. Ah well, it will be waiting here for you when you return, so that you can see you have another encouraging fan. :-D
Posted Image