Photo

Missing files after installation

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 MatthewH86

MatthewH86
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:46 AM

Hey, for some reason, during the Weidu installation processes, a lot of files didn't get copied into the override folder when other mods altered them in some way. This is all before biffing, as I took that out of the process to make sure everything was ok before I attempted to biff.

I have a filelist attached in case someone was curious.

I first noticed the problem when the Watcher who offers to help you skip Candlekeep didn't spawn, and I then noticed that the creature file didn't exist in the override (after looking in the SETUP-SCS.DEBUG file). So I hunted around for the file and found that a massive glut of dw#xxxx.xxx files hadn't ended up in the override folder.

I then went thru the mods from newest to oldest and copied all absent files to the override and found almost 800(!?!?) were missing. I hope this is useful for someone...

Weidu.log
Spoiler

Attached Files

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 05:39 AM

Hey, for some reason, during the Weidu installation processes, a lot of files didn't get copied into the override folder when other mods altered them in some way. This is all before biffing, as I took that out of the process to make sure everything was ok before I attempted to biff.

I have a filelist attached in case someone was curious.

I first noticed the problem when the Watcher who offers to help you skip Candlekeep didn't spawn, and I then noticed that the creature file didn't exist in the override (after looking in the SETUP-SCS.DEBUG file). So I hunted around for the file and found that a massive glut of dw#xxxx.xxx files hadn't ended up in the override folder.

I then went thru the mods from newest to oldest and copied all absent files to the override and found almost 800(!?!?) were missing. I hope this is useful for someone...

Well, few of the big mods biff all the game files, now, if you open the game with Near Infinity, it can see all the game files, in one form or another...

What you should do if you think that a file was not copied, is search them with Near Infinity, and then if it gives you nothing, the 'BiG World Debug.txt' might give you a hint hat happened to the file.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#3 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:20 AM

Some of those files in the missingfiles ... they're above 8 characters :unsure: How did you create that list btw?? :P

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#4 MatthewH86

MatthewH86
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 06:43 AM

@Jarno Mikkola
NearInfinity didn't find the file originally, which was how I knew it was actually missing rather than hidden inside a bif.
There doesn't seem to be a mention of the original missing file, dw#skcan.cre inside Big World Debug.txt.

@Lollorian
They must be temporary files, otherwise I have no idea :)
I made the list by painstakingly taking note of every missing file... :P
Heh, no, I created the list by running "dir > missingfiles.txt" inside a command window in a new folder with a copy of the newly copied, previously missing files.

#5 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 07:38 AM

NO WAI!1!1 :P Thanks :) (but how did you extract the missing files in the first place to put them in the new dir :P)

But the more important question here is ... how did they get deleted?? :blink:

I seriously wanna know how you did that without losing your cool :D

Edited by Lollorian, 27 February 2010 - 07:39 AM.

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

#6 MatthewH86

MatthewH86
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:46 AM

NO WAI!1!1 :P Thanks :) (but how did you extract the missing files in the first place to put them in the new dir :P)

YUsing the Weidu.log as an install list, I went up the list and browsed thru each mod's backup folders and copied the contents into the override without overwriting existing files

But the more important question here is ... how did they get deleted?? :blink:

Not a clue! :mellow:

I seriously wanna know how you did that without losing your cool :D

Hehe, I relied on Windows to make my job marginally easier, I was basically clicking and dragging most of the automatically backed-up files and allowing Windows to skip the ones already existing in the override.

#7 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:20 AM

Using the Weidu.log as an install list, I went up the list and browsed thru each mod's backup folders and copied the contents into the override without overwriting existing files

Time to make a search with:
WeiDU --change-log <filename.ext>

#8 MatthewH86

MatthewH86
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:44 AM

Using the Weidu.log as an install list, I went up the list and browsed thru each mod's backup folders and copied the contents into the override without overwriting existing files

Time to make a search with:
WeiDU --change-log <filename.ext>

I did that first with the dw#skcan.cre file, and Aurora was the last mod to touch it. But I did the copying manually as I didn't know what other files were missing at the time until they were explicitly copied over.

Unless you're suggesting I do a changelog of the 790 files that were missing? That would be quite an undertaking...

#9 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 01:06 PM

If you/someone wants to know, put this in a batch, set your path and run it:

@echo off
for /F %%i in (put your file here) DO (
echo %%i
WeiDU --change-log %%i >> WeiDU-change.log
)

This will read the lines (here: name of the files) and do a change-log on them.
THINK! - It's not illegal.

#10 Arkenor

Arkenor
  • 255 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:00 AM

I just found this thread doing a search for "dw#skcan.cre".

Like the OP, dw#skcan.cre doesn't seem to have survived the install for me. Here's his changelog:

[WeiDU.exe] WeiDU version 22000
[WeiDU.exe] Using scripting style "BG2"
override/dw#skcan.cre
override/dw#skcan.cre aurora/backup/467/dw#skcan.cre
override/DW#SKCAN.CRE xpmod/backup/2/DW#SKCAN.CRE

Mods affecting DW#SKCAN.CRE:
00000: /* from game biffs */ ~SETUP-SCS.TP2~ 0 4000 // Skip Candlekeep: v15
00001: ~AURORA/SETUP-AURORA.TP2~ 0 467 // Change creature gold carried -> Reduce to 25%: v5
00002: ~SETUP-XPMOD.TP2~ 0 2 // Creature XP Reduction -> Reduce to 25%: v6 BWP Fix

The debugs for aurora and xpmod both claim to have copied him back to override just fine after they'ed modified him, and he's also in the backups for each mod, so SCS certainly installed him. But he's not in my override, or appearing in game (obviously, which is what got me on the lookout).

XPMod comes pretty late in the install, so the culprit should not be too hard to track down.

Infinity animations has a whole bunch of DW# cres in it's backup which also have not survived into the override, but I can't find anything in Infinity animations files that would suggest that it's the one to blame.

In fact DW#SKCAN.CRE and my other missing cre are still there by the time Crefixer works it's magic, according to SETUP-CREFIXER.DEBUG. All that's left in my weidulog by that point is:

~CREFIXER/SETUP-CREFIXER.TP2~ #0 #0 // Creature Slot Fixer: v2
~SETUP-INNATE_FIX.TP2~ #0 #0 // Innates Set to Level One
~TOB_HACKS/TOB_HACKS.TP2~ #0 #80 // Non-cumulative blindness effect (THAC0 malus): v0.5.1
~TOB_HACKS/TOB_HACKS.TP2~ #0 #110 // Apply profsmax.2da restrictions on char creation (BGT): v0.5.1
~TOB_HACKS/TOB_HACKS.TP2~ #0 #130 // Fix cure drunkeness effect (#164): v0.5.1
~TOB_HACKS/TOB_HACKS.TP2~ #0 #100 // Enlarge tooltip scroll: v0.5.1
~TOB_HACKS/TOB_HACKS.TP2~ #0 #120 // "Scrollable" mage spellbook: v0.5.1
~TOB_HACKS/TOB_HACKS.TP2~ #0 #121 // "Scrollable" priest spellbook: v0.5.1
~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #100 // TobEx - Core: Beta 0008
~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #201 // TobEx - Core INI -> Default INI (components clashing with tob_hacks, Spell Revisions, etc. are enabled): Beta 0008
~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #1000 // Required files for Scrollable Kit Selection: Beta 0008
~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #1100 // Required files for Opcode 0x13E: Beta 0008
~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #1300 // Required files for Externalise Race Selection StrRef: Beta 0008
~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #1400 // Required files for Enlarge Tooltip Scroll: Beta 0008
~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #1500 // Required files for Scrollable Mage Spellbook: Beta 0008
~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #1600 // Required files for Scrollable Priest Spellbook: Beta 0008
~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #1700 // Required files for Scrollable Chargen Mage Spell Selection: Beta 0008
~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #1800 // Required files for Scrollable Level Up Mage Spell Selection: Beta 0008
~TOBEX/TOBEX.TP2~ #0 #2000 // Recommended files for Allow 99 Priest Known Spells Per Level: Beta 0008

Crefixer does something to DW#SKCAN.CRE that does not turn up in it's changelog. So far as I can tell, the mods after crefixer have no interest or ability to go messing with DW#SKCAN.CRE, so does that mean that CREFIXER is CREBREAKING my CRE? There are no files at all beginning with "DW#" in my override (I haven't biffed yet), even though crefixer's log, which I have attached, clearly show it working with loads of them.

Attached Files

Edited by Arkenor, 07 September 2010 - 10:10 AM.

Arkenor Oakshadow
Ark's Ark Whois
Meddling in the affairs of modders. Modding in the affairs of genie.

#11 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:06 AM

Afaict, the BWP install.bat seems to run a small loopy loop (that used to be in the BWP cleanup.bat) after the install gets done ... mebbe the missing file (in Arkenor's case) got deleted then?? :unsure:

PS: ~2 MB .DEBUG! :D Please zip/rar/7z it for awesome compressing action!

PS2: Apparently, the v9.3 install.bat doesn't have said loop so that's ruled out ... ignore pl0x :P

Edited by Lollorian, 07 September 2010 - 10:11 AM.

#12 Arkenor

Arkenor
  • 255 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:12 AM

Afaict, the BWP install.bat seems to run a small loopy loop (that used to be in the BWP cleanup.bat) after the install gets done ... mebbe the missing file (in Arkenor's case) got deleted then?? :unsure:

EDIT: ~2 MB .DEBUG! :D Please zip/rar/7z it for awesome compressing action!

My bad. Zipped it now. My head was spinning so much, from having so many files open looking for clues, that I forgot!

It's far from one file. dw#skcan.cre was just the canary in the mine for myself and the OP. That both the OP and myself have both lost all files beginning with DW# (and he lost rather more that I do seem to still have), definitely means something is going on.

Hmmm. Could these line in the install.bat have something to do with it, I wonder?

:: Now files that should not be in the override will be deleted. Don't worry about the "not found" messages!

Call ".\%BWIP%\empty_override.bat

Ahh, perhaps it is assuming that I had run generalised biffing by that point, which I had not.

Edited by Arkenor, 07 September 2010 - 10:20 AM.

Arkenor Oakshadow
Ark's Ark Whois

#13 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:16 AM

Looking at the v9.3 install.bat, it calls a certain empty_override.bat inside the BiG World Installpack folder ... now if you have a glance at that, it does what the filename says but note line 36:

%OV%dw#*
Yup, it empties the override aright :devil:

This problem came up cause you didn't biff the install, normal biffy installs should have the files neatly packed in some random biffo :P

Sneaky ninja, I still am :coolthumb:

Edited by Lollorian, 07 September 2010 - 10:22 AM.

#14 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:20 AM

Loopy loop does delete %OV%dw#*. Look at the BiG World Installpack\empty_override.bat.

Damn. Beat me by a minute. <_<

Edited by dabus, 07 September 2010 - 10:21 AM.

THINK! - It's not illegal.

#15 Arkenor

Arkenor
  • 255 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:22 AM

Case closed. The bat it calls is the following

@echo off
FOR %%f IN (
%OV%z#misc.*
%OV%*.aup
%OV%*.B
%OV%*.baf
%OV%*.bak
%OV%*.bat
%OV%*.d
%OV%*.exe
%OV%*.g3
%OV%*.ks
%OV%*.mp3
%OV%*.mrk
%OV%*.ogg
%OV%*.rpgd
%OV%*.RR
%OV%*.sfk
%OV%*.slh
%OV%*.tiz
%OV%*.txt
%OV%*.UB
%OV%*.xxx
%OV%.DS_Store
%OV%AR0500-bcs
%OV%fhlplay.fh
%OV%BBlade1
%OV%BBlade2
:: %OV%BP-BGT_WM6.wm6
%OV%CELES
%OV%chitem.log
%OV%CLOUDKA
%OV%Desktop.ini
%OV%DFOGA
%OV%dummy.blarg
%OV%dw#*
%OV%ESHIELC
%OV%f_dagaxe
%OV%firebrn
%OV%ICARMOR
%OV%ICINHIT
%OV%ICWRATI
%OV%ION*
%OV%IOUNX*
%OV%KRDL1
%OV%KRGLOBD
%OV%LPOOMV
%OV%otthelm
%OV%PGDARN.bam.gif
%OV%PSHELLC
%OV%RPGSolaFlirtPack
%OV%S#Eye
%OV%sharea
%OV%spheart
%OV%spwi910cre
%OV%spwm104
%OV%SSHELLC
%OV%TRBLOBA
%OV%tz25mnds.tmn
%OV%va#tod.nul
%OV%"Service-Version 1.txt"
%OV%The_Lady's_Shadow.rar
%OV%b!romkil.x
) DO del %%f 2>nul

which expressly deletes all dw# files, amongst others. Destroying the install of anyone who chose not to generalise biff at that stage (I like to do it manually, once I'm sure everything is right.). It does not check to see if generalised biffing occurred. That's, ah, quite a serious issue.

I've deleted the line that calls that deletion bat from my installer bat.

Ah well. Looks like I'm reinstalling again! Every time, my install gets a little closer to perfection!

Edited by Arkenor, 07 September 2010 - 10:59 AM.

Arkenor Oakshadow
Ark's Ark Whois

#16 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:53 AM

Every time, my install gets a little closer to perfection!

Don't you mean; every time , my install gets me a little bit closer to perfectly bald...
You do have a point though, that the BiG World Install.bat should only start things, and let all the other things actually remove stuff, and add...

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 07 September 2010 - 11:18 AM.

#17 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:03 AM

Don't you mean; every time , my install gets a little closer to perfectly bald...

:blink: ... :ermm:

Removin the call is a good idea cause if and when you biff, you can safely clear the entire override cause any files left after biffing would prolly be unused anyway (if you biff everything that is :P)

The cleanup/empty_override.bat focuses on 2 things:
1) placeholder files by older (and some new) mods
2) stupid files (8+ char filenames, garglewash without extensions like area3400-bcs :shifty: etc)

Apparently, the dw#* stuff comes under the placeholder category (after the useful files have been biffed :P)

#18 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:09 AM

Deleting unbiffed but possibly meaningful files from the override seems unwise at any stage.
But if you have to do it I would think that rather than deleting files based on prefixes, it would be better to delete files based on their bogus file extensions. That way you don't go around deleting e.g. .cre files even by accident.

#19 Arkenor

Arkenor
  • 255 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:12 AM

Don't you mean; every time , my install gets a little closer to perfectly bald...

:blink: ... :ermm:

I had absolutely no idea what that meant either.

Removin the call is a good idea cause if and when you biff, you can safely clear the entire override cause any files left after biffing would prolly be unused anyway (if you biff everything that is :P)

The cleanup/empty_override.bat focuses on 2 things:
1) placeholder files by older (and some new) mods
2) stupid files (8+ char filenames, garglewash without extensions like area3400-bcs :shifty: etc)

Apparently, the dw#* stuff comes under the placeholder category (after the useful files have been biffed :P)

empty_override.bat is a menace for sure. What does it have against SCS? If Generalised Biffing is going to remain something that you can turn off in the setup, empty_override.bat needs to not go off automatically.

I respectfully submit that a batch file that goes around deleting anything it does not understand is an incredibly bad idea.

Edited by Arkenor, 07 September 2010 - 05:54 PM.

Arkenor Oakshadow
Ark's Ark Whois

#20 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:19 AM

Yup, all the placeholders in SCSI/II seem to have the form dw#<stuff>.mrk which should be taken care of by checking for .mrk files (found in both SCS, IR n SR) Same goes for:

%OV%z#misc.*
%OV%dw#*
%OV%ION*
%OV%IOUNX*
... these should be either removed from the loopy loop or narrowed down to something specific :D

empty_override's not a menace though :lol: just delete these 4 lines and you're good to have a non-biffy install :P

Edited by Lollorian, 07 September 2010 - 11:23 AM.