Finished Awakening

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 05:30 AM

So! Finally. :) I played slowly enough, listened to conversations, enjoyed side quests and took my sweet runecrafting time, so my playthrough took 19 hours.

I think I enjoyed it. I wish there was more dialogue: just like with Origins, Awakening first teases you with lots and lots of interaction, and then it abruptly falls to "almost none", which is a pity.

But setting was good, areas were pretty, some of the side quests were funny, and main quests were not boring. It was a good expansion, though nothing of the Throne of Bhaal magnitude. Three "big" quests, some small ones(many of them are only one conversation long, but there _are_ a lot of them!), and all of them are "of Dragon Age value" - they are as good as vanilla Dragon Age quests.

I might replay it, though not right away. I think I played the first time "right", but there were consequences of my choices that still upset me somewhat.

Major spoilers below.

I noticed no major bugs, except for some companions seem to start with 100 approval, which is strange. And one last Joining Ritual could not be completed(by the point you've gathered _all_ Awakening companions, it is time for final battle sequence. It's not just one battle, it takes a good hour to play, but nevertheless, Sigrun never became a Warden in my game).

Also, as I mentioned in another thread, there are some flirty replies with Anders, and after his quest's completion, his companion meter points to "Love". Which was very sweet, but there're no mentions of that in the epilogue, though he stays with the Wardens and so does the PC.

I was disappointed by the fact that the epilogue said that my character mysteriously disappeared several years after the events of the expansion(though it was said she'd be heard from again - meaning another expansion? I wonder...). It annoyed me somewhat, because I played as a dedicated Warden, and I wanted to stay and work in Amaranthine. Ah well. Maybe there will be another good expansion, who knows? :)

So, there are two major choices in the game.

1) First, there are two villains: Architect and Mother. Architect is a "well-spoken villain", and (Brood)Mother is a "nasty, ugly, kill-kill-kill villain". The game offers you a choice not to kill Architect, because he wants to stop the Blights: make the darkspawn intelligent, and then they would no longer listen to archdemons. "Intelligent darkspawn? Nonono", thought I, and one minute later, Architect was dead.

(by the way, in the game Architect's darkspawn seem to be responsible for most everyting. To start with, Architect created the Mother).

2) Second choice: at the end of the game you choose whether to defend the city of Amaranthine or the Vigil's Keep. Throughout the game, you acquire upgrades for the Vigil's Keep, so the clear choice seems to be: defend Amaranthine and let the Vigil's Keep defend on its own. People reported that it is possible to save both.

I must say that at the beginning of the game you have to assign your troops, and if you assigned them all to protect the arling(trade routes, mines, farms, city and granite deposits), Vigil's Keep WILL fall at the end of the game. It did fall in my game, alas. But the epilogue seemed to state I did everything right: people of Amaranthine were grateful that I protected the arling, Keep was soon rebuilt, trade flowed and farmers were grateful.

I did felt terrible that Oghren, Velanna and Sigrun were killed in the battle, but it turned out that only Sigrun(Legion of the Dead deserter) was killed; Oghren survived and Velanna disappeared. Which was a relief. No romantic epilogue with Anders, though. Sniff, sniff.

So, this was Awakening, brought to you by Kulyok! I hope you enjoyed it as much(or, better, more!) than I did. It's been good.

Did anyone else like the Blight Orphans? I giggled for an hour.

#2 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:01 AM

And one more thing: max damage. For me it was Nathaniel's strike, 2676 spirit damage on a massive armored ogre, via Heartseeker ability.

#3 Gomb

Gomb
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:08 PM

[b][spoilers/b]

I've finished it just now, and I enjoyed it well enough. Although I have to say that the beginning felt very rushed, which didn't leave me with a good first impression, but after securing Vigil's Keep it was fine.
I think Bioware managed to squeeze much content into this expanison, and most if it was enjoyable. I especially liked managing my landlord and Warden commander duties in Vigil's Keep. The story was good enough to keep me interested, and dialogues were of course up to par with Origins.
I probably didn't do everything the 'right' way, since the epilogue wasn't all that happy. I let Amaranthine burn, and saved the Wardens instead, which resulted in rumors about my Warden being an evil maleficar (I played a mage). I also killed the Architect, since with the character I was playing I just couldn't imagine that he would let such a creature simply walk away.

As for the companions: I hated Anders. It was obvious he was meant to be an Alistair replacement, but Gaider tried too hard this time. The only funny thing about him was Mr. Pounce-a-lot, and one conversation with Oghren about the usefulness of mage 'skirts'.
Velanna and Nathaniel were ok, Justice was good, but I felt his character could have been expanded a bit more. My favourites were the two dwarves, especially Sigrun.
I was a bit dissapointed that Mhairi was killed off at the beginning, because even though she seemed rather dull in her trailer, I actually kind of liked her in game.

I was happy about the fact that we got proper epilogues for all of the characters this time, because it bothered me at the end of Origins that aside from Morrigan and Alistair, no other companions were mentioned.

#4 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:49 PM

Huh. Your favorite characters are pretty much opposite mine. I love Anders, like Nathaniel, am not too fond of Oghren, and absolutely despise Velanna.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#5 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:03 PM

I was most comfortable with Oghren, Nathaniel and Anders, strangely enough, even though Oghren is Oghren. With Justice, either it's the lack of dialogue, or very predictable dialogue, or his rotting body, but I didn't feel comfortable with him, though I played the first game with Justice and picked him right away. Velanna wasn't bad enough, but I only had her for the duration of her quest. As for Sigrun, she may be a good NPC, but I never found out: I picked her last, took one look at her face and ran for the hills. Besides, all her epilogues suck(the one where she dies defending the keep is the best, strangely enough).

#6 Gomb

Gomb
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:25 AM

Yes, that was my problem with Justice: his banters were mostly about how he manages to live in his body, and his other responses were predictable. His concept was still good but kind of wasted.
I think it's not that hard being comfortable with Oghren, he's actually the most loyal Warden out of everyone in game and I really liked that. I didn't have a problem with the epilogue I got for Sigrun, it was no surprise with her being a member of the Legion.

#7 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:41 AM

I decided to try another path, so today I finished as an Orlesian elven mage. A shorter playthrough this time - only 13 hours and a half.

Spoilers, naturally.

So, differences were barely noticeable: Wynne and Oghren did not recognize me(though Oghren still waved merrily), and there were a few references to "Orlesian" origin throughout the game(the funniest was at Blackmarsh, in the Fade. People, you've been imprisoned for hundreds of years. Hello-o? Does it matter what the Warden's nationality is? Then again, Baroness is an Orlesian, too).

The most noticeable differences were because of the mage origin: the "demon in distress" quest in the Fade(the girl-demon says she'd love to possess a mortal mage; strangely, Anders doesn't seem to interest her), and at the end, there was a pretty mage-y animation of killing Mother. Other than that? Not much. During the revolt the peasants say about Orlesian occupation, and the epilogue for he Orlesian seems prettier: she doesn't disappear, she becomes a diplomat and mediator, solves political conflict, and eventually she leaves for the Wardens's stronghold, and it's rumored that another Blight may be beginnig.

Oh, and this time, I didn't deploy any troops to the countryside/trade routes, and Vigil's Keep still fell. Alas.

I suspect that the next game would have to do with Architect's disciples kidnapping Wardens(or The Warden). After all, it's unclear if Architect survives, but his legacy does, no? And his goal is, as I understand:
1) make all darkspawn intelligent - no Old Gods and no Blights;
2) make all humans infected and turn the entire world into darkspawn-ish creatures(unsure about this one; if you read Gaider's books, you must know more about the Architect).

#8 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:56 PM

Thanks for the reviews. How stable was it? I've got my copy but am nervous to install it due to the reported instability of the 1.03 patch. My game CTD a fair bit with 1.01 but is very stable with 1.02 so I'm a bit loathe to upgrade.

#9 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:01 PM

My first playthrough was stable, but the second one (with the Orlesian warden) crashed every half-hour, alas. And there are some random glitches: NPCs freeze in Dalish Origin, and there was a randomly spawned unkillable undead in Amaranthine, and once I could not save the game(new save didn't appear in the list of saves), I had to reload - but these were one-time cases.

#10 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 03:28 PM

My first playthrough was stable, but the second one (with the Orlesian warden) crashed every half-hour, alas.

Odd, but I'm having similar experiences regarding stability. I'm not far into Awakenings, since I've been mostly working on getting Gavin through alpha testing, but of the little I've played (maybe 4 hours?), I haven't had a single CTD with my human mage. Fiance, on the other hand, is running an Orlesian Warden, and he's getting hourly crashes. My game crashed a lot playing Origins, but his never did. His computer is much newer/faster/better than mine.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods

#11 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:30 PM

Has anyone played with Blight Orphans quests? I've heard there should be a line about it in the epilogue, if you've completed them all, but I've played twice and I haven't seen any - and I think I completed all quests(I placed flowers on the girl's doorstep in the last one, "Making Amends").

#12 Darziak

Darziak

Neutral

• 681 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:21 PM

Has anyone played with Blight Orphans quests?

I did one quest and the epilogue showed that I did all of it. :huh: (Heck they even opened a proper charity)

The epilogues for me seem to be all random, like I stopped the riot peacefully and yet it apparently it thinks I did it nasty. At least my character rejoined with his loved one. :D

#13 Slug

Slug
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:12 AM

I got Dragon Ages Awakening yesterday, so far I have not been able to play it due to a problem with my sound.  If all goes well I'll get a chance to play it tonight.

I had to skip all the spoilers in the previous posts because I don't want to spoil the story.  I agree with what some of the previous posters said and through that there was not sufficient dialogue in Dragon Age Origins.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 08:14 AM

spoilers below of course

Interesting...Ohgren didnt die for me and I left Sigrun Justice and Him at the keep...the only person who died for me was Justice who apparently got his head cut off...

Also the epilogue mention the 2 hand sword my Warden used which I thought was quite awesome...though apparently it gets stolen by the damn crows!

Edited by Vicen, 03 April 2010 - 08:20 AM.

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#15 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:20 AM

Spoilers!

I specifically replayed *without* creating that sword, as I don't like the epilogue telling me what got stolen from me. The bad thing is, if you don't create this sword, you're having an unfinished quest in
your log, alas.

With an exception of Justice, I believe NPCs "die" if you never completed their quests. And Velanna's body always disappears.

#16 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:36 AM

Well, that's encouraging. All I have to do to kill off Oghren once and for all is not complete his quest. I can do that.

berelinde's mods

#17 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 02:57 AM

Just finished today, and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I do feel as if I should have read the books beforehand, though. As it is, I feel like I'm missing out on something key. The companions were nice, but I never felt like I knew them. I liked Nathaniel, Sigrun and Anders, kind of liked Velanna, felt nothing towards Justice and actively disliked Oghren. I didn't mind him in Origins, but there was something about him in Awakening that rubbed me the wrong way. It might have been something to do with his stubborn refusal to take responsibility as a father.

Spoilers

The epilogue was a lot more thorough than the original. I was sure I had done something wrong, but I seemed to get a pretty decent end. Amaranthine appreciated that I didn't abandon them, the Vigil was restored, my sword was stolen and my Grey Warden left after a few years to meet up with Zevran. Velanna's body was never discovered, Sigrun became distant after the defeat of the Mother, Oghren lost contact with Felsi and the nuglet altogether (I hadn't completed his quest, but I took him with me at the end), Justice was killed, Nathaniel was a good little Warden and restored his family name and Anders went to the Circle for a while, but realised that the Wardens were his family, and returned home.

Now to play through with a character that will support the Architect. I'm having a hard time thinking up a character that would ever be so reckless. Hmm...

#18 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 03:32 AM

I just reloaded at the final battle and played "save the Vigil+support the Architect". Took me an hour or so.

#19 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 08:57 AM

Finished Awakening, and it was a mix of the good and bad - Nathaniel and Anders died, which is good, but the game insisted that Velanna became friendlier towards humans, which I do not get - my City Elf was trying to encourage Velanna's hatred of humans at every turn.

Really, that's my nitpick about Dragon Age - everyone assuming your character likes Ferelden and wants to save it. Still, Anders and Nathaniel are both dead, so I can't complain too much.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#20 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:39 PM

Spoilers!

I specifically replayed *without* creating that sword, as I don't like the epilogue telling me what got stolen from me. The bad thing is, if you don't create this sword, you're having an unfinished quest in
your log, alas.

With an exception of Justice, I believe NPCs "die" if you never completed their quests. And Velanna's body always disappears.

I actually never did Oghrens quest and I left him at the keep and he did not die...Only got knocked out apparently by 2 ogres and never connected with Felsi and his kid

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85