Photo

Installing the ice dagger fix only

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ZFR

ZFR
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:31 PM

I'm well into the game (my first one) and installing the ver4.0 fixpack will force me to start a new one. Therefore, I've decided to finish this with ver3.

Now I've gone over the list of fixes, and the only one which seems important to me is the ice dagger one. I don't want not to be able to get any bonuses to thaco for the rest of the game.

Is there any way to install only this component?

Thanks,

#2 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:41 PM

That's not working properly even in v4.0. It's going to take some engine fixes to truly fix the problem.

In the meantime, there's a workaround: if a character gets hit with the permanent debuff, just have that character die and resurrect them. That will remove the effects. That same solution applies and is necessary when you get hit with Ice Knife whether you have v3 or v4, though the problem manifests a bit differently in each case.

Here's the details: In the vanilla game, if you get hit with Ice Knife, the -2 thaco debuff applies immediately and is permanent until killed. In Platter's Fixpack and by extension my Fixpack until v4.0, that debuff was prevented by having it apply an "immunity to thaco bonus" effect on the target as well. This stopped the immediate debuff, but then it also stops the beneficial buffs from weapons. I didn't find that to be much better (or worse, for that matter) than the vanilla issue, so since it wasn't a *good* solution, I removed that "fix" for v4 (on the premise that I don't change vanilla behavior unless it's clearly an improvement). Hopefully in later versions scient can figure out how to prevent the problem from happening at all.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 25 March 2010 - 02:48 PM.

#3 ZFR

ZFR
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:19 PM

Oh yes, I do understand how the fix (or "fix") works... I just thought that I'd rather have permanent -2 thaco than permanent "no thaco bonuses for you". I guess I could use the die/ressurrect workaround, but I don't like resorting to that.

My question was, is it possible to install the v4 ice dagger component (i.e. restoring it to the vanilla version) without installing the rest of v4...

Thanks

#4 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:58 PM

Well, I'm not so sure the -2 debuff method is much better. You see, if you get hit with *more* than one Ice Knife spell, I think the debuffs might *stack*. So, if you got hit 4 times with it, you might get a total of -8 THACO. I'm not sure about this, but it wouldn't surprise me. So I recommend using the suicide workaround regardless.

But, if you still feel that way, just delete SPWI207.ITM and SPWI207.SPL from your override folder.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 25 March 2010 - 06:59 PM.

#5 ZFR

ZFR
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 01:08 AM

Well, I'm not so sure the -2 debuff method is much better. You see, if you get hit with *more* than one Ice Knife spell, I think the debuffs might *stack*. So, if you got hit 4 times with it, you might get a total of -8 THACO. I'm not sure about this, but it wouldn't surprise me. So I recommend using the suicide workaround regardless.

But, if you still feel that way, just delete SPWI207.ITM and SPWI207.SPL from your override folder.

Qwinn

Thanks!