Photo

BiG World Project (BWP) v9.0

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
663 replies to this topic

#481 Inaia

Inaia
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:48 PM

There were problems with some other mods that didn't extract (as usual), but those were listed in the BWS and I got asked for each one of them. I never get asked for the Cespy audio addon however - it's only when I run the bat file that there's a message about it.

There was no NSIS subfolder, so that's not an issue at least.

Different unrelated question: What's the purpose of the new tobexloader? Is there a difference from using that to just running BGMain.exe?

ToBExLoader can expand your available class kits available at character creation, mainly. With it, you don't have to switch files around to pick from a large selection of kits. The modified BGMain contains some extras too, but not all the ones (potentially) included in ToBExLoader.

Oh, I forgot to mention: continuing to run ToBExLoader after generating and saving your character can result in bugs and CtD's (crash to desktop), at least for me it did.

EDIT: On a side note, I just realized (in Chapter Seven of BG >_>) that my attacks per round haven't been changing on ANY character, even after gaining weapon proficiency slots. The only way it's changing is from 1 attack per round to 2 attacks per round is if I dual-wield. This possibly explains why I've been finding the game to be a royal pain in the arse so far. This is on a Recommended BWP install, with a few hand-picked mods as well (none Expert). So far, I dealt with the issue by manually modifying the attacks in Shadowkeeper, but I'd really rather not keep doing that, since too much SK can permanently screw a save game.

Oh, and on a side note, I had to manually change Imoen to full mage. Attempting to dual-class her from Thief to Mage resulted in a 100% sucess CtD regardless of chosen spells, etc. I noticed that the crash never occured until I returned to the game screen from ®ecord, (I)nventory, etc, so I tried modifying her Character Model manually, but still no luck.

Edited by Inaia, 19 June 2010 - 01:27 AM.

Never assume I'm done editing a post =^.^=

Real life? Never heard of it....is it worth downloading?

#482 fixet

fixet
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 05:30 AM

Pretty sure it won't... that's because the BiG World fixpack tries to patch the files... and if it cannot find the very specified text sites it would overwrite, it fails and moves on to the next package...so it just doesn't randomly go off and slice a file to a billion pieces... it's half intelligent.

ah, thanks for the answer
I wasn't sure how it would handle this

@Inaia
try setting her script to "none"
If I'm right, you're using scripts (most likely BP), and those are making the game freeze/crash

#483 Inaia

Inaia
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:26 AM

@Inaia
try setting her script to "none"
If I'm right, you're using scripts (most likely BP), and those are making the game freeze/crash

Actually, my entire party uses SCS Ease-of-Use-AI, a 5-function AI. Only thing I don't really like about it is they won't auto-pot....other than that, it's pretty nice.

EDIT: Never mind, I finally figured out how to actually USE the multi-functions of SCS EoU AI. NOW it works properly <3~

Edited by Inaia, 19 June 2010 - 11:57 AM.

#484 Theon

Theon
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:25 PM

Hi!

I'd like to attempt an installation and I have two questions:

1) Is the Chloe and the Imoen Romance mods compatible with each other?
2) How do I install Ascension? (BP without SCS? What else?)

Thanks,
Theon

EDIT: Also, is there a Level-50 uncapper component hidden somewhere in the BWP, or it must be installed independently?

@Suslik: Yeah, it's cool, I only wish the ToB part would be released soon... :whistling:

Edited by Theon, 19 June 2010 - 04:40 PM.

#485 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:16 PM

@Theon

1) Is the Chloe and the Imoen Romance mods compatible with each other?

One more guy with imoen romance. haha, it's really cool :) well, yes. i have chloe and imoen and they don't seem to confront or whatever.

#486 Inaia

Inaia
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 06:01 PM

Also, is there a Level-50 uncapper component hidden somewhere in the BWP, or it must be installed independently?

Apparently there is in my Recommended+ install; I can CLUA up to 8.6m or so XP and level straight to 50. Lemme go test getting exp past the BG2 XP cap naturally....brb.

Back....yes, the level cap has been raised to 50 in my Recommended+ installation, but whether its due to one of my few extras, or included in a pure Recommended, I'm not sure.

[Unrelated Rant] It's really irritating to find out that a kit is malfunctioning after 7+ chapters and 2 days of playing...and then to realize that fixing it using Shadowkeeper irreparably broke every other character in the party. Now I can't figure out how many attacks each character *should* be getting, or how to fix them without busting something else. AD&D v3.5 never had this issue...I could have just looked at the +To Hit number and divided by 5. Guess I'll just set them using an intuitive guess against proficiency and v3.5's +To Hit from the proper class table.

EDIT: My save games are loading at a snail pace, and I'd like to apply the final ToB Patch, but I'm unsure which, if any, files I should back up first before applying it to fix my saves. Advice, anyone? The only thing I know for sure is that it either replaces or modifies BGMain.exe.

EDIT: Wow...just...wow. After I gained the Thief Stronghold and attempted to leave the Docks, I found a veritable ARMY of Boys and Girls at the northwest exit. No clue how they got there, but something's obviously screwed up. I removed them with roughly 50 Ctrl-Y or so...there were a TON of them ><;;; On the bright side, I just noticed that slaughtering them fixed the stuttering issues I was having. ^_^

Edited by Inaia, 20 June 2010 - 01:17 AM.

#487 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:12 AM

What class is the Ninja kit a kit of?
Only "warriors" (fighter, ranger, paladin etc) get extra APR with proficiencies. Other classes only get bonuses to hit and to damage.

#488 Inaia

Inaia
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:29 AM

What class is the Ninja kit a kit of?
Only "warriors" (fighter, ranger, paladin etc) get extra APR with proficiencies. Other classes only get bonuses to hit and to damage.

Oooooooh ok. Well, that stinks....it's a Thief kit, so that explains it.

Yet Another Edit: Forgot my manners due to being up all night again. Thanks ^.^

Edited by Inaia, 20 June 2010 - 02:00 AM.

#489 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 06:14 AM

@Inaia
If you really like your kit, i think it'll be possible to get 10 attacks per round even without bonuses from proficiency, quite easily even in SoA:
- two swords(katanas, scimitars, whatever) means 2 initial attacks.
- it's very easy to find a sword with +1 apr, a little harder with +2 apr, let's guess that you've found only 2x +1, it means 4 attacks all in all
- some random gauntlets often give +1 more attack, it means 5 already
- gauntlets with improved haste or a wizard will make all 10 with improved haste.

i think some mods fixed extra apr stacking, because it was much more difficult to gain even 8apr with kensai, now even rogue can do that.

#490 Inaia

Inaia
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:51 AM

Heh, it's not a custom kit that I made, but I get your drift. I'd chosen Ninja to be my first ever thief PC due to gold reasons, and worked on maxing its Pickpocket so I'd be able to avoid a lot of the store fees, lol. So far, it's coming along great, and I do feel good that not all stores can be stolen from....that would make the game feel imbalanced. There's enough stores though that it feels good, such as an NPC in the Promenade who was selling a small handful of necklaces, or a lady in Naskel selling boots and food. In any case, I can't afford ubers yet....so far I've only managed to scrape together enough gold for a magical buckler and a magic license, plus a little extra I've gotten from my stronghold. I'll keep your advice in mind though when I go shopping. =^.^=

#491 -nybbas-

-nybbas-

Posted 20 June 2010 - 11:46 AM

Hey guys, a question was asked a few pages back, and I am not sure if I just didn't see the answer, or if it was resolved...

Two other people have asked this, they are having problems when trying to run the game,
"An Assertion ailed in ChDimm.cpp at line number 628 Programmer says: Unable to open BIF:DATA\BGTWAV.BIF"
I tried to do as someone suggested, and created a bogus .bif file with that name, but while that allows the game to run, as soon as you attempt to actually start a new game, it asks you to insert disk 255... I am running this on a laptop with windows 7 installed, on the "full" installation (the one after recomended)if anyone here can help me, I will be so thankful. I have tried reinstalling, and that didn't work...

#492 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:52 PM

"An Assertion ailed in ChDimm.cpp at line number 628 Programmer says: Unable to open BIF:DATA\BGTWAV.BIF"

Actually, you should open a file called baldur.ini with a Notepad program and copy paste the 6 lines it says under [Alias] header... to a message. Then someone will probably be able to help you.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 20 June 2010 - 12:54 PM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#493 Theon

Theon
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 01:14 PM

I did an install today and I have the bgtwav.bif file in the data folder. It's actually the sounds of BG1 biffed together (~110MB), and if you don't have it then your BGT install is faulty. Aside from a reinstall maybe extracting the BGT and running BGT/Install/EndSetup.bat would help (after editing). However there may be a better solution, I say this just at first glance.

#494 -nybbas-

-nybbas-

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:09 PM

this is what i got...

[Alias]
HD0:=C:\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\
CD1:=C:\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD1\
CD2:=C:\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD2\;C:\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD2\
CD3:=C:\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD3\
CD4:=C:\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD4\
CD5:=C:\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD5\

is it ok to be posting this here? or is there another forum i should be using?

#495 Theon

Theon
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:54 AM

2) How do I install Ascension? (BP without SCS? What else?)

Back again. :rolleyes:

I've been studying the PDF and the net about this matter. If I make a Tactical install and edit out the 0 component of BP (AI/Enhancement mod) would it work with SCS, or should I edit out all components except BP-Ascension, or would I be better off not installing SCS at all, just full BP?
I can't seem to find a definitive answer for the compatibility issue.

#496 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:13 AM

[Alias]
HD0:=C:\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\
CD1:=C:\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD1\
CD2:=C:\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD2\;C:\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD2\
CD3:=C:\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD3\
CD4:=C:\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD4\
CD5:=C:\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD5\

is it ok to be posting this here? or is there another forum i should be using?

It's ok to post here...
Darn, my hunch was off... well, make sure that there is a BGTWAV.BIF in the C:\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\DATA\ -folder, and then you should say what's its size?

If I make a Tactical install and edit out the 0 component of BP

Erhm, I don't think you need to edit a thing, as you can choose the tactical install and SCS AI, instead of the BP AI or the SCS&BP mixed AI... as this way you should still get the BP's Ascension component. I could be wrong...

#497 Theon

Theon
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:05 AM

Erhm, I don't think you need to edit a thing, as you can choose the tactical install and SCS AI, instead of the BP AI or the SCS&BP mixed AI... as this way you should still get the BP's Ascension component. I could be wrong...

I will give it a try. :fingerscrossed:

#498 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:55 AM

I will give it a try. :fingerscrossed:

The sad part of that, or so I have heard, is that some (DTotSC)monsters use the BP's custom AI's by default... and so just stand there twiddle their thumps.

I can't seem to find a definitive answer for the compatibility issue.

There isn't one. :(

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 21 June 2010 - 04:57 AM.

#499 Fouinto

Fouinto
  • 458 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:30 AM

I did try a custom BWP 9.1 installation : a kind of "Recommended + Tactics" without NPC in order to test some stuffs. I have got some errors during installation (the game seems playable).
Here are the errors :
I guess the first one is harmless (tb#quest) :
Spoiler

Two errors with DSoA :
Spoiler

Spoiler

And some about BPv180
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I have not seen these errors reported :doh: so here they are (I won't play this game, it was just a test, but I will keep the game directory few weeks if you need further informations to improve BWP installation).
It's time for me to test BWS-beta :cheers:

Hope this helps

Attached Files

Edited by Fouinto, 21 June 2010 - 11:27 AM.

#500 Tonton Fred

Tonton Fred
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:30 PM

According to Ascension64,
If you use TobEx in the BWP, I recommend not using the A6XPPatch and A6CharmPatch 'es.

The BWS and PDF should probably be updated for the next revision to reflect that.