Install Missing Files

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 -Brandon-

-Brandon-

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:30 AM

Hello, I'm trying to install and I'm getting the Invalid Baldur's Gate Dir or installation... I'm looking through my files and I'm missing
o Areas.bif
o ARMisc.bif
o CHAAnim.bif
o CHASound.bif
o Creature.bif
o Default.bif
o Dialog.bif
o Effects.bif
o Gui.bif
o Items.bif
o MPGUI.bif
o OBJAnim.bif
o scripts.bif
o Spells.bif

I can't find these files on any of the 6 CD's. Am I crazy? Some help prove my sanity please. Thanks
-Brando

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:24 AM

I can't find these files on any of the 6 CD's. Am I crazy?

The files are in the *cd-driveletter*:\CDx\Data -directory, like my cd6'es .bif files are in G:\cd6\Data -dir in this example:
Posted Image

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 04 April 2010 - 11:26 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#3 icaerus

icaerus
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:41 AM

Yeah I copied those but after copying all of the files from all 6 cd's data folders; I'm missing the specific files in my first post. Are those specific files in a cab file or something??

Edited by icaerus, 04 April 2010 - 11:42 AM.

#4 Isaya

Isaya
  • Modder
  • 294 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:21 PM

Did you install Baldur's Gate at any point? Or did you just copy the content of the CDs on the hard disk? If you installed, I'm amazed you could be missing any of the files. For sure Baldur's Gate couldn't even display the first menu without them.

These files are part of the minimum installation of Baldur's Gate. You need them all the time. These files are nowhere in any data directory of any CD, otherwise they would be required on all CDs (as are the sound files). Most certainly they come from the cab files on CD1. Possibly, a few of them are updated in Tales of the Sword Coast, so you'd better check also the cab files from CD6.

Maybe you should try installing Baldur's Gate again. Extracting from cab files generated by InstallShield is usually not possible with a usual unarchiver (WinRar or similar). Maybe Universal Extractor would be able to extract files from them, but it doesn't always succeed depending on the InstallShield version.

#5 icaerus

icaerus
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:51 PM

Yeah.... :unsure: so I may or may not have installed this game a few years ago and *might* have used a different install directory... I was pointing the setup to the old directory... I didn't even double check. Thanks for the help. :cheers: