#1 Markus Ramikin

Markus Ramikin

Grey Knight Librarian

• 105 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:59 AM

Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

*gathers a large mob with torches and pitchforks*
"Who's with me!"

So, akhem. I want to vehemently object to the upping of Larval Worms (and Trelons I guess). I petition and request that they be returned to how they used to be originally.

I don't really care much if how it made no D&D sense or whatever. It was fun. Sure, I beat the game several times without even bothering to look into Undersigil, let alone powerlevel. But sometimes I like to do that and it was just awesome to cast Cloudkill and see the xp rolling in. Also, it doesn't -matter-. By the time you've broken through to the Lower Ward, if you knew what you were doing you and your party should be fine to tackle the rest of the game, powerlevelled or not.

At most, this is a balance tweak, not something that fixes a bug or restores actual content, so no idea why you've forced this on players who may have enjoyed how the game was originally in this respect.

The game is already awfully stupid about the effectiveness of magic, Magic often just doesn't feel like it works. Dangerous enemies not only have good saves (which is understandable and good) but also tend to have magic resistances which often result in like a full minute animation of an "awesome" level 8 or 9 spell of which you only have one memorized, anticlimatically resulting in precisely zero effect (Moridor's Fiend, I'm looking at you). Seriously, those high end spells feel like a f-ing waste of time. Undersigil was like the one part of the game where you could really feel you're a powerful mage. And now you guys took even that away. :(
*coughQwinncoughLotharcoughskullscough*

#2 Markus Ramikin

Markus Ramikin

Grey Knight Librarian

• 105 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:28 AM

Hokay, at least removing this change wasn't hard.

Please don't do anything in future editions that would break the game if files WORM.CRE and TRELON.CRE are not in the Override folder ;)

#3 -i30817-

-i30817-

Posted 08 May 2010 - 08:29 PM

I agree

#4 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 11:26 PM

At most, this is a balance tweak, not something that fixes a bug

Sorry, but I have to seriously disagree. Those monsters with 30-60 hit points and the THACO of 8th-12th level registering as level one creatures is very obviously a bug. A level 1 creature with even a 25 constitution couldn't possibly have more than 17 or so hit points.

And for the record, that's ALL I did to them. I set their "Level" field to be commensurate with their power and hit points. I didn't add any hit points or otherwise make them tougher. I just fixed the retarded value in that one field. It just happens that that's the field that the Cloudkill spell looks at. I personally think that the idea that a Cloudkill spell could instakill -demons-... you know, the critters whose home plane is so noxious that just a couple portals into it can pollute a large section of Sigil, is rather ridiculous.

I know you like it, I can understand why you like it, but there's no way, no how that that wasn't a bug.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 08 May 2010 - 11:34 PM.

#5 Markus Ramikin

Markus Ramikin

Grey Knight Librarian

• 105 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 06:55 AM

Well, I never treat in-game stats, the ones that are hidden from the player, as supposed to mean anything. Too often they are very obviously not -meant- to mean anything. For example, in Kotor 1 and 2, all the boss characters were of Jedi Guardian class, probably to ensure they had high Fortitude saves and couldn't be disposed of easily with Force Kill or Stun. Story-wise they were most of them something else, for instance
Spoiler
is a Consular turned Sith Lord...

So my definition of this being "not a bug" is based on that separation, + the fact that the original state of things didn't actually break anything about the game, didn't cause it to crash or parts of the plot to become inaccessible etc.

I guess it's no big deal as long as I can always remove the two relevant Override files without breaking anything. :)