Photo

NearInfinity

• Please log in to reply
1153 replies to this topic

#1081 ChitownWillie

ChitownWillie
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 April 2022 - 02:55 PM

Pardon my ignorance - I can easily see how to export a creature to file, but how I do I import?

For example:

1. I make changes to 10 creatures

2. Export their settings to CRE files.

3. Start a brand new game.

How do I import the changes?

Thanks!

Edited by ChitownWillie, 16 April 2022 - 03:12 PM.

#1082 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 17 April 2022 - 12:27 AM

If you make changes to CRE resources in NI then you have to use the "Save" button to permanently save the changes. It can be found at the bottom of the "Edit" tab in the resource view. The saved resource is placed in the override folder of the game, so the changes will be automatically detected by the game.

The "Export" button is meant to export the original resource data to a file. Changes made to the resource without saving first will be ignored by the export operation. There's also a paragraph in the Near Infinity Wiki which explains the differences between saving and exporting.

Edited by Argent77, 17 April 2022 - 12:28 AM.

#1083 msilvand

msilvand
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 July 2022 - 01:33 PM

Hi! I have tried to find an answer to this question on multiple occasions, but maybe my Google-fu is too weak.

I have figured out how to dig out creature animations, how to generate palettes and apply them, how to center BAM frames and export as animated GIF.

Nothing else is needed for commoners and such, but what I have not figured out is how to combine player character animations with equipment overlays, kind of like in the Creature Animation Browser, for exporting as animated GIF.

Is it possible to do so?

Thank you so much for your continued efforts, I truly appreciate these wonderful community tools!

#1084 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 02 July 2022 - 01:07 AM

Nothing else is needed for commoners and such, but what I have not figured out is how to combine player character animations with equipment overlays, kind of like in the Creature Animation Browser, for exporting as animated GIF.

Is it possible to do so?

The latest NI release allows you to export creature animations directly in the Creature Animation Browser as animated graphics. They are exported as animated PNG (APNG) since animations may have more than 256 colors, or may contain special effects. This graphics format is less popular than animated GIF but should still be supported by most browsers and graphics viewers.

You could also export all animation overlays manually. However, the character animation schemes are rather complicated. A good starting point to know more about the format is this page: https://gibberlings3...vatarnaming.htm

#1085 msilvand

msilvand
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 July 2022 - 05:00 AM

Is it possible to do so?

The latest NI release allows you to export creature animations directly in the Creature Animation Browser as animated graphics. They are exported as animated PNG (APNG) since animations may have more than 256 colors, or may contain special effects. This graphics format is less popular than animated GIF but should still be supported by most browsers and graphics viewers.

You could also export all animation overlays manually. However, the character animation schemes are rather complicated. A good starting point to know more about the format is this page: https://gibberlings3...vatarnaming.htm

And here, friends, we have the importance of turning on auto-updates... the mind boggles at the amount of hours saved if I had done so. ;) This is fantastic news - thank you!

#1086 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 23 July 2022 - 09:45 PM

Argent77,

why would NI report a state to be orphaned (48, in this case) when it isn't?

OrphanedState.jpg

Edited by Salk, 23 July 2022 - 09:46 PM.

#1087 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 24 July 2022 - 12:51 AM

Argent77,

why would NI report a state to be orphaned (48, in this case) when it isn't?

I can't reproduce it with this dialog file.

Are you running the latest NI version? Has this dialog file been modified somehow?

Edited by Argent77, 24 July 2022 - 12:54 AM.

#1088 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 24 July 2022 - 09:18 PM

I am running version 2.2-20220408-1.

To replicate (for me) the issue it is enough to start NI select SOLAR.DLG from the DLG tree. The tree does not display any orphaned lines initially. But if I choose Edit from the Menu and then Right Click on State 48 to choose "Show in Tree" (great function this one, by the way) State 48 will be displayed under "Orphaned states".

I believe that during my use of NI I did meet this kind of problem with other .dlg files as well but just in case, here's what WeiDU says about changes to SOLAR.DLG:

Mod affecting SOLAR.DLG:

00000: /* Created or unbiffed */ ~WHEELS/SETUP-WHEELS.TP2~ 0 0 // The Wheels of Prophecyv8.4

#1089 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 25 July 2022 - 12:08 AM

I am running version 2.2-20220408-1.

To replicate (for me) the issue it is enough to start NI select SOLAR.DLG from the DLG tree. The tree does not display any orphaned lines initially. But if I choose Edit from the Menu and then Right Click on State 48 to choose "Show in Tree" (great function this one, by the way) State 48 will be displayed under "Orphaned states".

Thanks. I can reproduce it even in the unmodded version with these instructions. I'll look into it.

#1090 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 06 September 2022 - 01:59 AM

Update: NearInfinity v2.3-20220906

Full Changelog:

• Added new option to Bookmark feature: Define custom home folder for EE games (primarily added as a workaround for systems with inaccessible folders for Java apps, e.g. macOS with iCloud folders).
  • Added new "Align table (uniform)" command to 2DA resources which mimics WeiDU's PRETTY_PRINT_2DA-style formatting. Original "Align table" command renamed to "Align table (compact)".
  • Added support for more hardcoded save folders in EE games (ImportSave and ImportBPSave).
  • Added new feature: Check for duplicate strings.
  • Fixed a bug in the 2DA table parse which prevented the SoD-specific save folder from showing up in the resource tree.
  • Fixed value type "Bitfield" in Advanced Search filter options to match all numeric data in structured resources.
  • Fixed BAM frames export not always appending the correct file extension.
  • Fixed transparent color index handling in BAM Converter (thanks Bubb).
  • Fixed a regression in rendering creature animations with tint effects.
  • Fixed incorrectly calculated marker of a selected area in WMP View tab.
  • Fixed PSTEE bestiary parsing issue in "Check for unused strings".
  • Fixed: Confirm overwriting animation file on export in Creature Animation Browser.
  • Improved function-matching algorithm in script decompiler, which (hopefully) solves incorrectly detected script action signatures under certain conditions.
  • Improved display of creature names in View tab for CRE, CHR and embedded CRE structures in GAM files.
  • Improved View tab layout of ARE, ITM and SPL resources for smaller window sizes.
  • Improved parser for TRIGGER.IDS and ACTION.IDS tables.

#1091 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 06 September 2022 - 06:45 AM

Thanks!

#1092 Jazira

Jazira
  • Modder
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 September 2022 - 06:01 PM

Hi Argent77, thanks for your work on this amazing tool.

I have a question: how to use this new feature?

#1093 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 12:28 AM

Hi Argent77, thanks for your work on this amazing tool.

I have a question: how to use this new feature?

This feature can be found in the list of check options (menu Tools > Check > For Duplicate Strings). Presentation of the results is a bit unusual because of the limitations of the results table for checks. The "Group" column defines groups of identical strings. String flags are not taken into account for the check, but they are listed in the results table.

#1094 Jazira

Jazira
  • Modder
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 11:37 AM

Thank you.

This could reveal really useful, to compare duplicate strings from English to other language. :)

#1095 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 07 September 2022 - 10:51 PM

Thanks for this new release.

The new "check for duplicate string" is a very welcome addition.

I guess the bug I reported is tough to fix since the last version still suffers from it, unfortunately.

#1096 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 12:04 AM

I guess the bug I reported is tough to fix since the last version still suffers from it, unfortunately.

Yes, it's difficult to pinpoint the problem. To complicate matters, that feature was contributed by someone else, so I'm not very familiar with the code.

#1097 HunterZ

HunterZ
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 September 2022 - 10:17 AM

Is it possible to view/edit whatever state is behind "AttackedBy" script checks?

There's a creature in my game that I accidentally killed, and using Near Infinity to resurrect him and change his allegiance back to NEUTRAL still results in him changing back to hostile, because his script has an "AttackedBy" check that keeps passing. I scoured the creature/area/general records but didn't see anything relevant, including un-decoded data blocks (which were all zeroes).

I ended up just creating a script override, but it would be nice if Near Infinity could provide visibility into this state that's maintained...somewhere.

#1098 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 17 September 2022 - 11:42 AM

AttackedBy is a script trigger that is only valid in the same script round when an attack was performed. There is no state applied that survives a save and reload process. If the creature turned from neutral to hostile again at a later time then there must be something else in his script that is responsible for it.

#1099 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 25 September 2022 - 09:28 PM

Hello, Argent!

Is there a way (and if there is not, could it be added?) to check for missing audio files in the .TLK?

Ex. from what I can see (classic BG2 TLK) string 3665 has [f] but it seems like f.wav does not exist.

#1100 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 26 September 2022 - 12:28 AM

Hello, Argent!

Is there a way (and if there is not, could it be added?) to check for missing audio files in the .TLK?

Ex. from what I can see (classic BG2 TLK) string 3665 has [f] but it seems like f.wav does not exist.

That feature doesn't exist yet, but I'll add it to my todo list.