Where in ToB shall I stop?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 -Althernai-

-Althernai-

Posted 11 September 2002 - 11:20 AM

I have a party waiting for the RTW mod. Initially, I thought that I would do the quest at the very beginning of ToB - as soon as it becomes available. However, after seeing some of your screenshots, I decided some more power (and items) may be in order so I killed Yaga-Shura and went through Watcher's Keep. The party I am playing with is already extremely powerful - would you recommend continuing on or waiting? In other words, is the mod as difficult as some of the screenshots make it seem? Also, am I missing stuff by playing through some of ToB?

#2 Gospel

Gospel
  • 338 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 11:34 AM

*purrs* Hihi ^_^

May I askies what difficulty level you're playing on? :)

Me thinkies it's Core, but not knows :D
Is kitty :)

#3 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 12:23 PM

The mod difficulty is currently being worked out, and toned down. Difficulty cannot be sorted out till the AI and areas are sorted, and this has not yet been completed.

I would reccomend that you start from the beginning of ToB.

#4 -Althernai-

-Althernai-

Posted 11 September 2002 - 12:42 PM

Thanks.

I'm playing on Core - I'll stop now and if the mod seems too easy, I'll turn the difficulty up to compensate. Maybe I'll start from the beginning next time - the screenshots looked like the player was being torn to shreds.

#5 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 01:40 PM

The difficulty *was* incredibly hard... but that is being toned down... and there will be a new feature to allow you to set your own individual difficulty independent of the difficulty slider. You can request a greater challenge... or less if you like.

Cuv

#6 Gospel

Gospel
  • 338 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 02:08 PM

*purrs* Core might be crazy-ish, sir.... no resting methinks :D

You can on Easy though, I thinkies? ?:)

#7 Delvar

Delvar
  • 101 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 03:36 PM

I would get out of the town get the two hearts from the firegiants, maybe head through lv1 or 2 of watchers keep then wait for this mod to come out. Of course a lv40 party with uber items still has some trouble in some of the fights.

#8 -Althernai-

-Althernai-

Posted 11 September 2002 - 04:03 PM

*purrs* Core might be crazy-ish, sir.... no resting methinks :D

You can on Easy though, I thinkies? ?:)

Do you mean no resting AT ALL? Or limited resting restricted to a couple of rooms or somehting of the sort? Not resting would not be that much of a problem (I went through all of Watcher's Keep without resting or using Wish) - BG2 has an obscene amount of Healing potions and ToB has even more. Use spells for only the toughest fights. But this is with my current, warrior-heavy party -- what if you are playing with mostly spell-casters?

#9 Gospel

Gospel
  • 338 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 05:48 PM

Oops, sorry sir(?) ^^;;

Yiss, I meant only resting in certain rooms... :)

I thinkies you'd be fine then, if you stopped where you are *purrs* ^_^

#10 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 05:49 PM

Resting is going to be interrupted in most of the areas... but there will be a few that you can rest safely once you clear out the monsters.

I've been testing it with a fighter-heavy party, but also alot of spell use with my PC. Here is the party I am using:

PC: Fighter/Mage- Gram +5, Robe of Vecna
Sarevok: Psions Blade +5, Helm of Charm protection(heh:p)
Keldorn: Hand of Torm +5
Minsc: 2Handed Sword +3, Shuruppak's plate
Anomen: Crom Faeyr
Imoen: SoM, Answerer +4

I would suggest several tanks for RTW.... but you also need a good rogue, cleric and spellcasters. You will want items that give bonus to saving throws on your tanks... due to the nature of many of the enemies.

Cuv

#11 Gospel

Gospel
  • 338 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 05:57 PM

Hand of Torm, sir? *purrs* New weapon? :D

#12 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 08:20 PM

Hand of Torm, sir? *purrs* New weapon? :D

Ooops....yes :unsure:

Cant say anything more about that right now.

Cuv

#13 Gospel

Gospel
  • 338 posts

Posted 12 September 2002 - 06:44 AM

Hehe ^_^

That's fine, sir :)

#14 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

Bloody engine of destruction ... oh, wait. That was my Sorcerer

• 722 posts

Posted 12 September 2002 - 07:55 AM

... and there will be a new feature to allow you to set your own individual difficulty independent of the difficulty slider. You can request a greater challenge... or less if you like.

Now THIS sounds really cool! Great idea.

#15 Artanis

Artanis
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 01:55 PM

The mod difficulty is currently being worked out, and toned down.  Difficulty cannot be sorted out till the AI and areas are sorted, and this has not yet been completed.

I would reccomend that you start from the beginning of ToB.

I heard earlier that you couldn't get the message to start the quest until you came by the place where the Tethir soldiers attacked you. Has this changed?

#16 Delvar

Delvar
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 04:22 PM

No, but you can always clua him in and make some uber cheat party or end up with a really really hard game to go through rtw.

#17 Gospel

Gospel
  • 338 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 04:22 PM

I heard earlier that you couldn't get the message to start the quest until you came by the place where the Tethir soldiers attacked you. Has this changed?

Changed, sir? :D Methinks it was never said :D

It's where the Yaga Gugu soldiers are attacking the merchants ^_^

#18 Artanis

Artanis
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 October 2002 - 08:44 AM

That's a shame. I think I've passed that point already. If I go back to whatever place that was, will the messenger show up or do I have to clua him in?

#19 Dyara

Dyara
  • 262 posts

Posted 27 October 2002 - 08:59 AM

He will show up. You donīt have to clua him in.

#20 Artanis

Artanis
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 07:34 PM

"Changed, sir? :D Methinks it was never said :D"

It was said, back on the BIS message boards a long time ago I think.