Photo

What's your take on Hawke?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: What's your take on Hawke? (19 member(s) have cast votes)

What's your take on playing as Hawke? Good, bad, what?

1. I like the idea (2 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

2. I don't like the idea (7 votes [36.84%])

Percentage of vote: 36.84%

3. I don't know yet (8 votes [42.11%])

Percentage of vote: 42.11%

4. Other, see my post (2 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 WeeRLegion

WeeRLegion

TFP : D

• 2925 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:06 AM

Weren't you at one point (waaay back) complaining about DAO not permitting you to turn tail and run for Orlais, Kulyok (with a city elf sort if I recall)?
So, yes, I get it. It's not so much about what kind of an choice is made for you, just that a choice is made...

But, mmmm. If you think about it, ultimately, all of the DAO origin stories force you to join the grey wardens and to in some sense be a hero. Really, as far as his/her origins go, I don't think Hawke will need to be any more predetermined than any DAO character.

Though that's only as far as his/her origin story goes. With the game spanning 10 years, there's bound to be a few forced turns coming up here and there... But not necessarily more than in DAO, I'd guess.

And really, to some extent forced choices are a simple inevitability as soon as you enter any game anywhere.

So, um, anyway. Looking at games Mass Effect and Bioware's other works, I do think they'll leave plenty of options for personalizing Hawke's persona. It's pretty much their trademark, letting players immerse. The only real loss here seems to me to be the pick of race.

I'm suddenly feeling a lot more positive about DA2.

Edited by WeeRLegion, 18 July 2010 - 12:24 PM.

#22 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:01 AM

Remember that every game assumes some stuff about the character. Imoen tells me that she learnt about deurgar (or however you spell that word) while my character was skipping lessons in Candlekeep, and in one of her banters with someone who I can't remember, she says she leaves being dark and broody to the PC.

I'm sure there will be some tragic reason Hawke flees Lothering, but I think it might be nice to have a less-than-brave hero for once. Or at least be given the opportunity to portray Hawke that way.

#23 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:19 PM

After all the complaints about that background, I kind of hope they do include a "stay and fight for your country, freedom and apple pie" option.

Then you get to go up against the entire Blight on your own, with a rusty iron dagger and a second-level character. Have fun with that. :rolleyes:

Seriously, trying to beat back an army of orcs with the kind of resources that place has is not "brave" - it's either "suicidal" or "idiotic", and quite possibly both.

#24 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:09 AM

There's probably some sort of sister rescuing thing, or similar - perhaps you have a choice of reasons why Hawke decides to leave. I don't think we can blame him (or her) for not wanting to take on the darkspawn with a rusty dagger when Loghain, a war hero and tactial genius with an army at his disposal decided against fighting them at Ostagar.

Anyway, this is nothing new for Bioware - Gorion's Ward preferred hiding in a bush to saving Gorion from Sarevok. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valour.

Edited by Cal Jones, 19 July 2010 - 12:10 AM.