BWP display problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Darkforge

Darkforge
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:44 PM

Hi Guys.

I have recently brought the 4 in one boxset for BG trilogy. (games on dvd with expantions on disk.) I stumbled across the guide here to upgrade it with bwp.

Was immediately in awe at the ammount of content that has been added and this awesome utility which brings it all together, so I would like to thank all the community for that. Unfortunately things havent been going to well.

I followed this guide to the letter but there were a few issues.

1. lots of missing mods BWP could not download. (addressed in another thread I see.)
2. Standard installation reports conflicts. (I removed conflicts before installaing)
3. Program crashed when transitioning to installation. ( I had to get the latest version of WeiDU, to resolve this)

Ok, after this was resolved everything, it seemed to start working properly and run the install, selecting resolution and so on, then took about 4 hours to install.

Great, I fired up the loader and the game stared happily and then... disaster.

I have attached a screen shot with what happens. The game doesnt crash I can still hear music playing but the display is completely corrupt. It looks like it's running in 8bit mode or something and I only see the top corner of the screen. if it helps I set widescreen rez for 1440x900 (my monitors native rez)

I had a good look around these forums but could see any mention of this particular problem. Would really appreciate if you guys could help me out. I played around with it a bit, so I am just going to attempt a clean reinstallation, but I suspect the same thing will happen because I am sure i didnt do anything wrong.

thanks

#2 -guest-

-guest-

Posted 25 July 2010 - 01:02 AM

The first thing I can think of, is that somehow, the alternate menu screen failed to install somehow and therefore messed up your menu. The menu do get chosen acording to what big mods you install. So if you install TDD + DToTSC then you get a menu screen for such a setup. It is also what changes button graphics to have options to start at either BG1 begining or BG2 begining... this thing never failed for me, but its one guess to scrambled graphics on the main menu I guess.

Also, another thing...

Have you checked in the BG2 external configuration program that your graphics card passes with the game? Becouse some cards (or settings) does not work well with BG theese days... and it is easy to miss...

For example I have a radeon 4870, and I didnt bother to check in the BG "video test" if it worked, but my game got all weird, and there were graphical corruption all over the place. I then ran the video test provided with BG2 and the squares you are supposed to see, were "flickering" and it turned out I had to disable in catalyst control center the "tripple buffering" option. Then the video test did not flicker anymore, and indeed, the graphic corruption in-game were gone as well. Very strange, but it tells that it may be something like that - something small, that is messing with your game, and not the BWP. You should check that it passes :) and also, in the config program, experiment with the 3d settings, see if it makes a difference.

good luck i guess :) I don't know anything else that could be wrong (other than the obvious, that you put the wrong resolution in the widescreen mod to begin with)

#3 dannyb1166

dannyb1166
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:57 AM

i have a 8800gt and my monitors native resolution is 1680 x 1050. BW graphics won't work with the native resolution, on my computer anyway. All sort of problems. Tried everything. Looked all round the net for a fix. Read somewher about installing directx sdk. Never worked for me. At the end of the day, as far as i can see, there is no fix for me. Tried everything. Now i'm running at 1280 x960 no problems at all. Game Graphics are full screen.Menu Graphics have a big black border round them. Think they are 800x660 I can live with that no problem as long as the games working.

Edited by dannyb1166, 25 July 2010 - 05:02 AM.

#4 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:30 AM

I have attached a screen shot with what happens.

Where? You better attach the file into a place like this, and then copy the "Direct Link"'s link to these:
[img]http://--address[/img]
IN THIS FORUM, not into the rededit, as no one's going to download all teh craps that's there.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 25 July 2010 - 05:31 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#5 Darkforge

Darkforge
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:32 AM

Yeah, just noticed image didn't get attached, no matter

Thanks for the replies, A reinstall fixed my problem,

Edited by Darkforge, 25 July 2010 - 05:33 AM.