Photo

female gnome mages look very male

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Son of Imoen

Son of Imoen
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 02:05 AM

I've got a Tutu campaign running with a female gnome cleric-illusionist. The words avatar and paperdoll always confuse me, can someone tell me which is called with what name and also why? (as the answer to why makes it easier to remember). The problem is this: running around in the game, she looks like a female gnome cleric (again, I don't know the correct word, I hope someone can explain). But as soon as I put on a robe, she is stated by Shadowkeeper to have the appearance of a female gnome mage, but she looks like a male gnome mage running around: bearded and bigger than a female gnome.

In this topic I've read the following posts:

I tried creating a female gnome illusionist...but I still came out bald and bearded. :crying:

Why no love for the female gnomish casters among us? I feel so marginalized.

and the reply:

Because I haven't got around to finishing those yet :(

So there is no 1pp female gnome mage yet appearantly. Is there a way to revert to the vanilla avatar's without de-installing 1pp? (as de-installing messes up the install big time, with lots of 'WARNING' and 'POSSIBLE ERROR' when later mods in the WeiDu install-order are reïnstalled by the setup.exe.

I've attached my WeiDu, is that the proper way to let it be known?

Thanks in advance for any helpful reply and a big thumbs up for all modders. This is my first post in the shsforums. :Bow:

Attached Files

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:22 AM

The words avatar and paperdoll always confuse me, can someone tell me which is called with what name and also why?

The paper doll is the one in the inventory screen, the avatar is the one that moves around in the game world that animates the actions that are taken. Why they are called that? Is that the inventory screens character is like the traditional paperdolls of the past.
The "avatar" is expression that is used from outer worldly creature controlling a being in the current world, in a try to control it, well whatever.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#3 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:51 AM

I've got a Tutu campaign running with a female gnome cleric-illusionist. The words avatar and paperdoll always confuse me, can someone tell me which is called with what name and also why? (as the answer to why makes it easier to remember). The problem is this: running around in the game, she looks like a female gnome cleric (again, I don't know the correct word, I hope someone can explain). But as soon as I put on a robe, she is stated by Shadowkeeper to have the appearance of a female gnome mage, but she looks like a male gnome mage running around: bearded and bigger than a female gnome.

In this topic I've read the following posts:

I tried creating a female gnome illusionist...but I still came out bald and bearded. :crying:

Why no love for the female gnomish casters among us? I feel so marginalized.

and the reply:

Because I haven't got around to finishing those yet :(

So there is no 1pp female gnome mage yet appearantly. Is there a way to revert to the vanilla avatar's without de-installing 1pp? (as de-installing messes up the install big time, with lots of 'WARNING' and 'POSSIBLE ERROR' when later mods in the WeiDu install-order are reïnstalled by the setup.exe.

I've attached my WeiDu, is that the proper way to let it be known?

Thanks in advance for any helpful reply and a big thumbs up for all modders. This is my first post in the shsforums. :Bow:

Apparently, you haven't biffed. Therefore, I think that just removing the new gnome animations from the override folder should be enough.

I think its name should be something like CIFW... but I'm not sure. The first letter is for character, the second for the race (I think gnomes and halflings are all together but I'm not sure), third for sex, fourth for class; as soon as you find the ones which identify female halfling/gnome mages, remove all of the files which start with that letter (I suggest you to backup them first, in case there are other problems). That could work.

anyway, could you look at which animation that character uses?

Edited by Turambar, 05 August 2010 - 09:55 AM.

Turambar

Currently supporting: DSotSC for BGT, NTotSC - forum

Turambar's fixes and tweaks for BG2, BGT, DSotSC, NTotSC, SoBH and more!

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!
(how to correctly report CTDs)

vipersig.jpg

#4 -Son of Imoen-

-Son of Imoen-

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:04 PM

Jarno Mikkola, thanks for explaining the terms with which each is called.

Turambar, thanks for your reply, but I don't understand it quite. What does 'biffing' mean? And what file extension would those animation files have?

From what you say, I deduced it could be these two (with C for character, H for halfling, F for female and M for mage): they are called CHFM1INV.BAM and CHFM1INV.PLT, but removing those didn't put away with the bearded avatar. Or would that H be 'human'?

Maybe, as you seem to suggest, 'I' stands for halfling and gnomes? There's no CIFM... however. So I tried removing all CI...INV.BAM & CI...INV.PLT files (... stands for: all variants, just to ease up the search and refine it later on). But that didn't help either.

I tried searching for all BAM-files, but all I can find is (I think:) H for Human, D for Dwarf, I for Halfling (as those have only C, F and T in the space that is class), O for (half)Orc.

Or am I trying it wrongly? For now I'll return the backup-ed files to their original place in the override folder and wait for a reply.

Shadowkeeper says: 'Male Female Gnome', value: 0x6214

#5 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:45 PM

What does 'biffing' mean?

Well, biffing is packaging the game files into a more readable information file... or whatever.
It can be done with a mod called Generalized Biffing, it's done to shorten the load times, like in a highly modified game, the game starting loading could take about 20 minutes to start from the quick icon double click to the first blackscreen... after the Gen_Biff, it only should only take about five to ten seconds.

#6 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 01:29 AM

And what file extension would those animation files have?

the extension is .bam

From what you say, I deduced it could be these two (with C for character, H for halfling, F for female and M for mage): they are called CHFM1INV.BAM and CHFM1INV.PLT, but removing those didn't put away with the bearded avatar. Or would that H be 'human'?

H is for human. It looks as if I is for halfling and gnome; unfortunately, I haven't there's no cimm or cifm

Maybe, as you seem to suggest, 'I' stands for halfling and gnomes? There's no CIFM... however. So I tried removing all CI...INV.BAM & CI...INV.PLT files (... stands for: all variants, just to ease up the search and refine it later on). But that didn't help either.

I tried searching for all BAM-files, but all I can find is (I think:) H for Human, D for Dwarf, I for Halfling (as those have only C, F and T in the space that is class), O for (half)Orc.

I think that's right. I will have a look at my skeezer, maybe I'll see what the right animation is.

the other letters are for the action the creature is doing: attack, cast,...

Shadowkeeper says: 'Male Female Gnome', value: 0x6214

edit:

there's only one component of 1pp avatars which has to do with halflings:

~1PP_AVATARS/SETUP-1PP_AVATARS.TP2~ #0 #11 // 1PP: Avatar fixes * fixed halfling progression [IFB1, IFB2, IFB3]

try to remove cifb...

Edited by Turambar, 07 August 2010 - 01:54 AM.

Turambar

Currently supporting: DSotSC for BGT, NTotSC - forum

Turambar's fixes and tweaks for BG2, BGT, DSotSC, NTotSC, SoBH and more!

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!
(how to correctly report CTDs)

vipersig.jpg

#7 Son of Imoen

Son of Imoen
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:23 AM

there's only one component of 1pp avatars which has to do with halflings:

~1PP_AVATARS/SETUP-1PP_AVATARS.TP2~ #0 #11 // 1PP: Avatar fixes * fixed halfling progression [IFB1, IFB2, IFB3]

try to remove cifb...

Thanks for your help, but I can't find a BAM-file with cifb in it's name, nor cifw. There's a 'w' in cdfw, chfw, cefw, cofw (dwarfish, human, elf and dwarf female wizards, I guess?). But not for an 'i' race, if that is what gnomes are. I already tried deleting ciff, cift and cifc. Won't help.

I tried deleting all cdmw, 'cos my dear female Gnome looks so much like a male dwarwen wizard, won't help.

Sorry for a late reaction, I've been busy and tired. I appreciated your help, but when I return from going camping out, I'll just do a new install without 1pp for this female gnome caster of mine, I guess.

#8 Son of Imoen

Son of Imoen
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 02:43 PM

I found the culprit after trying to put a robe on a female gnome cleric-illusionist in other installs, also in one without 1PP. The problem isn't 1PP after all, so I found out. The culprit is this component from BG2Tweaks:

~BG2_TWEAKS/SETUP-BG2_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #120 // Change Avatar When Wearing Robes or Armor (Galactygon): this one gives my beloved gnome girl a beard if she dons a robe.

I'm very sorry for pointing the finger in the wrong place, but glad too that I solved the problem ^_^ .

#9 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 08:44 PM

Well, the 1PP has a component called "Improved Improved Galactygon's Avatar Switching" in the "1ppv3: Thieves Galore", so you could try that, just for the names sake... but it doesn't say anything about the gnomes.

#10 Son of Imoen

Son of Imoen
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:27 AM

Well, the 1PP has a component called "Improved Improved Galactygon's Avatar Switching" in the "1ppv3: Thieves Galore", so you could try that, just for the names sake... but it doesn't say anything about the gnomes.

Thanks. I bookmarked your link. I won't apply it now, for now I'm glad I got a working install, that I don't want to mess with again. I'm not quite sure the risk of adding this (though improved) component outweighs the benefit of seeing a robe again, Ohrlinka continues robe-less but female. Maybe I'll try the Thieves Galore in a future install.

#11 Son of Imoen

Son of Imoen
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:55 PM

For my new install I will use 2 other 1pp mods beside the 1pp_v2.70:
1pp_v3: female dwarves, which is said to give separate avatars to female dwarves AND female gnomes!
And 1pp_v3: Thieves Galore, for the Improved Improved Galactygon's Avatar Switching mentioned by Jarno Mikkola (the double Improved is no typo, it's called that way), which is an improved version of the Change Avatar When Wearing Robes or Armor-tweak from BG2Tweaks and hopefully won't give the same bug I had with the BG2Tweaks-tweak.

Both can be found on the downloads page under '1PP work in progress'.

It might be a while before I know the results, as I won't be playing a female gnome cleric/mage with my new runthrough of BGTutu, but I thought it a good hint to all those 500 viewers of this topic. More people have this problem apparantly, and they might apply the same solution.

I'll post an update if I know the results.