PS:T crashes occasionally when loading new area.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 -Vade Ultra-

-Vade Ultra-

Posted 17 October 2010 - 07:52 AM

Hey guys,

I've got everything installed as per instructed here. Game works fine, except it crashes at random intervals when loading certain areas. Usually, I start the game again and it loads successfully. The first real problem I encountered was in Art galleria in Upper Ward. It crashed more often than usual, but even while I was inside the gallery, while trying to move to eastern part of it. Luckily, I managed to get all I need from it so, although sad, I just quit exploring the rest of it.

Now, I have a more serious problem. It just won't load ground floor of Silo in Curst, needed for the 5th part of the key.

I am running a E8500 with 4870 card on Windows 7 x64, in case it matters. Tried all the compatibility modes but none helped, I believe.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:30 AM

Open the "Torment.err" file in the game directory with Notepad and see if it has anything. And make sure that the next time, before you start the game that you clean up(delete the files in) the "temp" and "cache" folders, if there's any.
That will probably not help, but it cannot hurt and the .err files content should give us a clue on what's going on.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#3 -John Henry-

-John Henry-

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:23 PM

Torment.err does not contain any data whatsoever, and clearing temp&cache does not help (intuitive for sure).

I am so sad...

#4 -Vade Ultra-

-Vade Ultra-

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:33 PM

Very interesting. I was about to post that the only possible solution was to upload save game here and have someone free the fiend for me. But, then, I've figured I just couldn't do it without *knowing* I did all I could. So, I tried experimenting; one of the experiments succeeded. I went into Silo alone; left all my companions outside. It worked. Then, just for the sake of experimenting some more, I tried going in with Morte and Dak'kon; it crashed again.

I managed to do it all alone. Great news for me.

#5 ghostdog

ghostdog
  • Modder
  • 556 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:42 AM

There could be many reasons for these crashes. For one, some areas can sometimes get corrupted when the get decompressed during the installation. This is known to happen mostly to the 2CD version. A complete re-install may fix this. Also, if you've installed the fixpack I think that some more frequent crashes have been reported recently, due to the new features that have been added. Finally, the fact that you're playing in win7x64 can cause its share of problems.

If you continue to have similar problems later, I'd suggest searching a bit the Fixpack Forums, for additional help.

#6 -Vade Ultra-

-Vade Ultra-

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:40 AM

I don't know about you guys, but from the moment of entering the Fortress of Regrets... and talking to Deionarra... my eyes are constantly wet. Every single time for the last 10 years.