A question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 -Callie-

-Callie-

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:25 AM

This is bound to be a stupid question, but here it goes...

Can I install and play this mod with only BG TOB installed? Or do I need BGT or BiGWorld?

#2 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:25 PM

This is bound to be a stupid question, but here it goes...

Can I install and play this mod with only BG TOB installed? Or do I need BGT or BiGWorld?

Perfectly logical question and yes you can play SOS with BG2 + ToB only. There are some required mods though but they are small.

First install your game/expansion and apply the official patch 26498.

Before SOS install the Gibberlings3 fixpack for BG2 and the core fixes are the requirement, everything else may be for personal tweaks or fixes.

After SOS, Install the Worldmap mod so all areas are patched and can be accessed.

Links below and SOS + Worldmap are .rar files so they are extracted to your BGII - SoA folder and you run the Setup-xxxx application, respectively.
The G3 fixpack is an application that extracts the files to your game folder and begins installation.
http://www.gibberlin...net/bg2fixpack/

http://www.shsforums...ds&showfile=308

Good luck and if you need help with gameplay there is a walkthrough linked in the top important section of this sub-forum that helps if you get stuck.

Edited by Hoppy, 05 January 2011 - 02:27 PM.

?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#3 gorbadoc

gorbadoc
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:34 PM

Before SOS install the Gibberlings3 fixpack for BG2 and the core fixes are the requirement, everything else may be for personal tweaks or fixes.

After SOS, Install the Worldmap mod so all areas are patched and can be accessed.

Links below and SOS + Worldmap are .rar files so they are extracted to your BGII - SoA folder and you run the Setup-xxxx application, respectively.
The G3 fixpack is an application that extracts the files to your game folder and begins installation.

Wow. That's good to know. Thank you. I wish this information were in the SoS Readme file. It's been a while since I played the game, so I've been digging through documentation over the last couple days, trying to figure out which mods I should be installing and which are obsolete. Hopefully I'm nearing the end of my journey.

Please let me know if I have this right. To enjoy the most recent incarnations of BG2: SoA and ToB modding, I should:

Install Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn.
Install Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal.
Run the Bioware patch 26498.
Run the Gibberlings3 fixpack linked above (NOT the Baldurdash, which was made obsolete by the Gibberlings3 fixpack)*.
Run megamods (such as SoS or others found on this site).
Run the Worldmap mod linked above.
Run whatever other miscellaneous WeiDU mods I like.

*I've seen mention of at least one mod that does NOT work with a fixpack and which does NOT support additional mods on top of it. I'm not sure if this was outdated documentation, though.

Anyway, I really appreciate the help; the link to the Gibberlings3 page has already helped me greatly. Thanks!

#4 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:04 PM

Wow. That's good to know. Thank you. I wish this information were in the SoS Readme file. It's been a while since I played the game, so I've been digging through documentation over the last couple days, trying to figure out which mods I should be installing and which are obsolete. Hopefully I'm nearing the end of my journey.

Please let me know if I have this right. To enjoy the most recent incarnations of BG2: SoA and ToB modding, I should:

Install Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn.
Install Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal.
Run the Bioware patch 26498.
Run the Gibberlings3 fixpack linked above (NOT the Baldurdash, which was made obsolete by the Gibberlings3 fixpack)*.
Run megamods (such as SoS or others found on this site).
Run the Worldmap mod linked above.
Run whatever other miscellaneous WeiDU mods I like.

*I've seen mention of at least one mod that does NOT work with a fixpack and which does NOT support additional mods on top of it. I'm not sure if this was outdated documentation, though.

Anyway, I really appreciate the help; the link to the Gibberlings3 page has already helped me greatly. Thanks!

The readme of SOS says it requires Worldmap 6 or above but it was always unclear about G3 fixpack. Reading the Worldmap readme answers that question pretty quick. I'll update the readme when I release SOS in December :lol:

I would make Worldmap the very last mod except for other mods you may install briefly and then want to uninstall for compatibility or personal reasons. Also the Worldmap mod may have updates in the future so you can uninstall easily, upgrade, install new version and have your saves compatible.

Even just for the save game patching is nice when Worldmap is your last mod apart from temporary mods like GUI switchers or similar ones that you might not use extensively through your game play. Your game will be fine the way you have it, just some convenient tips for your future builds. :)
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#5 gorbadoc

gorbadoc
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:40 PM

The readme of SOS says it requires Worldmap 6 or above but it was always unclear about G3 fixpack. Reading the Worldmap readme answers that question pretty quick. I'll update the readme when I release SOS in December :lol:

I would make Worldmap the very last mod except for other mods you may install briefly and then want to uninstall for compatibility or personal reasons. Also the Worldmap mod may have updates in the future so you can uninstall easily, upgrade, install new version and have your saves compatible.

Even just for the save game patching is nice when Worldmap is your last mod apart from temporary mods like GUI switchers or similar ones that you might not use extensively through your game play. Your game will be fine the way you have it, just some convenient tips for your future builds. :)

I must be looking in the wrong spot :-/

I extract SoSv1.13.rar.
This creates Setup-SOS.exe, Setup-SOS.tp2, and the folder \SOS.
In the folder SOS is a file called Readme-SOS-WeiDU.txt.
Readme-SOS-WeiDU.txt lists 1.13 up top, but the document is just a Version History. I see no mention of a mod description, requirements, or installation instructions. The German version appears to be from 1.11; I don't THINK it contains installation instructions, but to be fair, I never learned German.

Nevertheless, thanks for the feedback. I'm going to rebuild in a day or two anyway; I didn't find out about Baldurdash being obsolete until it was too late this time around.

#6 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:11 AM

I must be looking in the wrong spot :-/

I extract SoSv1.13.rar.
This creates Setup-SOS.exe, Setup-SOS.tp2, and the folder \SOS.
In the folder SOS is a file called Readme-SOS-WeiDU.txt.
Readme-SOS-WeiDU.txt lists 1.13 up top, but the document is just a Version History. I see no mention of a mod description, requirements, or installation instructions. The German version appears to be from 1.11; I don't THINK it contains installation instructions, but to be fair, I never learned German.

Nevertheless, thanks for the feedback. I'm going to rebuild in a day or two anyway; I didn't find out about Baldurdash being obsolete until it was too late this time around.

The Worldmap requirement was implemented around version 1.09 so it would be in that section of the version history. That is how the previous maintainer organized it so there has always been confusion since then with the Worldmap not being installed for some people with versions 1.10 and so on. I will put some paragraph in the readme for universal requirements but sometimes people misread that too like with the problem I had with The Darkest Day (same type of requirements).

None of the mods said anything about the Fixpack which was really confusing as I would install Baldurdash until I read the Worldmap readme (now The Darkest Day installation looks for it and I will implement something similar for Soubar and the like). Took me a while to get things straight when I was a young megamod sprout. :D

Looks like you got everything in order

- King Diamond