Where are the new spells?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 -ehk-

-ehk-

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:22 AM

I recently installed BW on roughly tactics settings without a hitch (aside from uninstalling divine remix after discovering what it did)

I supposedly installed a bunch of mods with new custom spells (check the bodies, dark side of sword coast, etc), and although I do see some unfamiliar spells in character creation, they are few in number compared to what I expected from the mod descriptions. A cursory comparison of spell lists (http://darksideofthe...net/spells.html for example) shows that the spells of some mods didn't make it into the game. Is this intended in the default settings of BWS? Are some spells learned via scrolls and the like? Or is another mod like Revised Spells interfering with new spells? I'm most concerned with the possibility that this is symptomatic of widespread content overwrites and mod incompatibility.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but reinstalling or fixing anything is a big deal and I'd rather get it over with before I start a game. If there are any problematic mods like divine remix I'd like to know about it before it's too late. Thanks!

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:39 AM

So how many spells could you choose on the levels... or the other way of asking, get ShadowKeeper, open a save game and go to the Wizard -tab and see how many spells the game contains, and if you have seen every one of them. The original game has 1328 total spells.
And yes, most of the common mod added spells are learned from scrolls, or they are (kits)mod specific.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#3 -ehk-

-ehk-

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:01 AM

Thanks for the fast response

The spells on my character in shadowkeeper do seem to match the spells I know in game. Spell browser indicates a total of 4563 spells, although most seem to be blank and related to scripts. I was able to find a lot of spells that don't appear on the character creation list, guess those are scroll only. All seem accounted for.

I guess sorcerers are going to be missing out. Wish there were a mod for that :)

Thanks for the help, guess I can actually play the game without worrying now

#4 -ehk-

-ehk-

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:18 PM

Got a new problem, hopefully it won't need a new topic

I'm trying to make my own party through multiplayer, but the game crashes as soon as I click host game and then "new game" or "load game" (Single player works as far as I can tell). Is this a known issue and is there an easy workaround with a character editor maybe?

#5 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:02 AM

Got a new problem, hopefully it won't need a new topic

Well, this is your topic, so you single-handedly say what the topic is about, so no, it definitely doesn't need a new subject .. or those are my personal thoughts about the matter.

I'm trying to make my own party through multiplayer, but the game crashes as soon as I click host game and then "new game" or "load game" (Single player works as far as I can tell). Is this a known issue and is there an easy workaround with a character editor maybe?

Does the game Crash to Desktop, or does it just stall with no end in sight(so can you exit to Windows with the Windows -key or with Alt + Shift -keys), as it could be just the Windows Firewall giving you the unfriendly smiley.

#6 -ehk-

-ehk-

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:04 AM

Yup, that was the problem. D'oh. I thought allowing it through the firewall would be good enough, but apparently not. Strange since that's what I did with my vanilla install.

BTW BGmain.exe definitely doesn't have the same functionality as tobexloader. Some things, like scroll bars for long spell lists, seem to be broken/absent without it.

#7 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:52 AM

Yup, that was the problem. D'oh. I thought allowing it through the firewall would be good enough, but apparently not. Strange since that's what I did with my vanilla install.

BTW BGmain.exe definitely doesn't have the same functionality as tobexloader. Some things, like scroll bars for long spell lists, seem to be broken/absent without it.

That should depend on which version of the ToBEx you installed... I think.
Haven't actually used the ToBEx so much... been playing the games TC's that don't really like the .exe hacks, while searching to find the ultimate megamod combination(kits, mods etc).

#8 -ehk-

-ehk-

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:28 PM

Yeah I have no clue how the loader works, just something I picked up on

I'm considering reinstalling BG2 Tweaks (24.4) because I don't quite like the default settings. Is this going to be a 6 hour long save-destroying process or is it relatively painless?

#9 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:57 PM

Yeah I have no clue how the loader works, just something I picked up on

I'm considering reinstalling BG2 Tweaks (24.4) because I don't quite like the default settings. Is this going to be a 6 hour long save-destroying process or is it relatively painless?

Erhm, what default settings ?
You shouldn't re-install a component or uninstall already installed components, what you can do is install a new component and this won't interfere with the already installed mods, any of them and you should be fine.... this is to say that when you do it this way, there is no need to uninstall the already installed components and the install time is a matter of seconds, not 6 hours. This of course reduces your customisation ability, but that's how it is... you are asked if you wish to display the different portions of the components from different parts of the changes, you can answer yes to all of them... so ong as you don't reinstall/uninstall a component, you are fine.

#10 -e-

-e-

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:15 PM

Ah, that makes sense. I was planning on enabling multiple strongholds and max HP at level up.

Default seems to be "keep class restrictions" and "No" respectively, but I think the former is still tweaked for multi-class characters. I can probably use SCSII to enable multiple strongholds as well, which would definitely circumvent uninstalling anything.

#11 -ehk-

-ehk-

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:22 AM

"CRuleTablesEx::Init(): CLSSPLAB.2DA not found. Did you install the required WeiDU component?"

Yikes, I must've messed up somewhere

Time for a fresh install?

#12 -ehk-

-ehk-

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:57 AM

So apparently I have 2 identical copies of clssplab.2da still in my installation folder

Any chance I can just paste it to where it belongs? Right now the game crashes as soon as it launches, I tried logging what's wrong but baldur.err only contains a starting logging session line.

#13 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:04 AM

"CRuleTablesEx::Init(): CLSSPLAB.2DA not found. Did you install the required WeiDU component?"

Yikes, I must've messed up somewhere

Time for a fresh install?

Well, if you are unhappy with the game as is, then yeah, but only in that case as the game still works mre than well, the reason why the WeiDU gives you that is that yyou installed the Generalized Biffing mod and the mod doesn't find the file it's searching for because it was biffed. In your case, you might wish to use the BiG World Setup beta, as it gives you more things to choose from... but first go and copy the WeiDU.log and read it and try to understand what it says... so when the beta then ask which components you wish to install and what not, you can give the answers, when you choose the components...

Edit:

So apparently I have 2 identical copies of clssplab.2da still in my installation folder

Any chance I can just paste it to where it belongs? Right now the game crashes as soon as it launches, I tried logging what's wrong but baldur.err only contains a starting logging session line.

There should be only one in the Override folder...

#14 -ehk-

-ehk-

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:20 AM

What I meant to say is the game won't launch anymore, I'm perfectly happy with this version of BW.

CLSSPLAB.2da is the only thing I know is wrong, nothing else gives me an indication of anything amiss. I found one in override and another identical copy in \BGII - SOA\generalized_biffing\prod\0\biffs\183. Tried renaming it, nothing changes.

If my best solution is to reinstall, should I just run big world install.bat or do I have to provide a fresh install of BG1&2?

#15 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:28 AM

If my best solution is to reinstall, should I just run big world install.bat or do I have to provide a fresh install of BG1&2?

No, no!!!
Run the BiG World Setup.vbs ! It should have made a backup just for this...

Tried renaming it, nothing changes.

You should have moved the file to the override folder...

#16 -ehk-

-ehk-

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:34 AM

Thanks for catching that, I'm pretty clueless at this. I remember the backup process done by setup.vbs not working for some reason, not sure if it's intact. Could you briefly go over what to do if the backup works and what to do if it doesn't?

I have clssplab.2da in BGII - SOA\TobEx\override and \BGII - SOA\generalized_biffing\prod\0\biffs\183. They're exactly the same, should I put a copy somewhere else?

#17 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:42 AM

I have clssplab.2da in BGII - SOA\TobEx\override and \BGII - SOA\generalized_biffing\prod\0\biffs\183. They're exactly the same, should I put a copy somewhere else?

No.

Thanks for catching that, I'm pretty clueless at this. I remember the backup process done by setup.vbs not working for some reason, not sure if it's intact. Could you briefly go over what to do if the backup works and what to do if it doesn't?

Well, if it works, just follw the instuctions and the BWS will restore the game to the original condition and then restarts the setup process.
If it doesn't work, cut and paste the BiG World Downloads folder outside the game folder(if it's not there already), then uninstall the BGII game from the conrol panel and remove the game directory and all the cheese it contains.
Then reinstall the BGII - SoA & ToB, patch the game and make sure you start both portions of the games so they autosave without any mods yet installed. Then download the BiG World Setupbeta.exe that unpacks the BiG World Setup.vbs (the beta version), then make sure you this time make a backup... and then just follow the instructions given.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 09 February 2011 - 04:44 AM.

#18 -ehk-

-ehk-

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:49 AM

Many thanks, sorry for the dumb questions.

Hopefully this will be my last post!

#19 guenthar

guenthar
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:37 PM

If you are on Windows Vista or 7 you shouldn't use the Big World Setup.vbs to run the setup (it causes problems) and instead you should run Autoit3.exe in the Big World Setup folder and select the BiG World Setup.au3 when prompted.

PS. From what I understand Tobex works like Obse and alters the game in memory so it doesn't do any permanent changes to the bgmain.exe.

#20 -ehk-

-ehk-

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:11 PM

Well this is annoying.

The crash at multiplayer new game is back, despite the settings being near-identical to last time and nothing being changed in windows firewall.

Apparently this happens with vista/win7 and can be circumvented with windowed mode, which I can't use with widescreen. So I'm back to reinstalling widescreen and hoping everything fixes itself. I have no idea how I got past this before...