Photo

Game won't start after installing Mods

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jaguar10

jaguar10
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:48 PM

I've been having problems after downloading Torment from GOG. After leaving Mortuary, the game periodically blips to the magic spell file, when I get it back to gameplay I then I have to reset the Run option, sometimes the dialog options closes before I'm done, characters freeze but music and sounds are still running, sometimes I can get it back to normal but after a few minutes it does it again. After reading some forums I've downloaded the widescreen mod, the ghostdog mod and the ultimate mod but now the game won't start at all. I get the same error this guy on another forum got: ttothej said...

hi i followed your guide but when i try to play the game i get the message. An Assertion failed in F:\Torment\Source\chitin\ChDimm.cpp at line number 787.(F: is my cd drive) any ideas where i went wrong?

Tuesday, October 06, 2009 10:34:00 PM
Johnny Walker said...
Really sorry, that sounds like a very weird error. You could try asking for assistance here:
http://www.shsforums...showtopic=41205

I basically get the same assertion error in F drive but mine says chitin\Chvideo.cpp at line number 4322.

If anyone has any idea why these bugs keep happening in the game I will re-download it. I thought maybe the mod would fix the bugs but now I can't open the game either. Any ideas on this would be appreciated. I have Windows XP and an ATI Radeon video card.

Thanks!

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:47 AM

problems after downloading Torment from GOG

I basically get the same assertion error in F drive but mine says chitin\Chvideo.cpp at line number 4322.

Well those are a bit hard to comment on without having a GOG game, but let me ask a question and your answers might help others too...
So when you installed the game, you then make sure that you start the game and begin a new game before you start modifying the game with mods, this sets the game so it can be modified properly... was there an option to install the game "fully", and did you use that option?
What did the Torment.ini's [Alias] headers(the lines after that text, when you open the file with Notepad for example) look like ?
And did you change them ?

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 23 May 2011 - 04:56 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#3 -jaguar10-

-jaguar10-

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:40 PM

problems after downloading Torment from GOG

Well those are a bit hard to comment on without having a GOG game, but let me ask a question and your answers might help others too...
So when you installed the game, you then make sure that you start the game and begin a new game before you start modifying the game with mods, this sets the game so it can be modified properly... was there an option to install the game "fully", and did you use that option?
What did the Torment.ini's [Alias] headers(the lines after that text, when you open the file with Notepad for example) look like ?
And did you change them ?

I have no idea what you mean. I am not a tekkie and just getting these mods to download was hard enough. I downloaded the game from GOG - it doesn't give you any 'install fully' options that I remember. I started the game and was playing before downloading mods. As I said, after installing mods I couldn't get the game to open at all. I followed the mod instructions from this site - they said it will work on GOG games - I extracted the mods using BitZipper, had them install into the Torment folder. I did not have to go into an INI file or open anything with Notepad. It seemed to install fine. I had no errors while downloading or installing mods. Apparently I'm not the only one who is getting this problem as per the quotes I included from the other guy.

Okay, forget the mods - why would the game be acting the way it was before? After leaving the mortuary the bugs start - is there a patch that would help?

#4 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:52 PM

I am using PST on XP without problems, so the OS should be compatible.
I'm not using the GOG version, but apparently, it works for most people. So, the only thing I can think of is that your own copy is somehow corrupted.

Okay, forget the mods - why would the game be acting the way it was before? After leaving the mortuary the bugs start - is there a patch that would help?

When that was happening, had you installed only the GOG.com version, without any patch, fix, or anything else? Where had you installed it?
I don't know how gog.com games work, but could you re-install or re-download it (without having to purchase a second copy)?
It looks as if several of your game files are messed up... Perhaps, there might have been errors during download, and some parts of some files have been mixed up?

Edited by Turambar, 24 May 2011 - 11:53 PM.

Turambar

Currently supporting: DSotSC for BGT, NTotSC - forum

Turambar's fixes and tweaks for BG2, BGT, DSotSC, NTotSC, SoBH and more!

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!
(how to correctly report CTDs)

vipersig.jpg

#5 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 01:07 AM

The video card is too new for the game...

Open the Torment.ini file in your game folder and copy paste the text to a post, if you wish, you could use there tags:
[spoiler]hidden text[/spoiler]
To shorten the posts length ...

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.