Photo

[HELP WANTED] Coder for BGT Kit

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 BPaulsen

BPaulsen
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 04:43 AM

This is a Paladin kit that's been done before in a mod, but it was buggy and overpowered. I have no idea how to mod at all (and unfortunately the tutorials just leave me more confused), and this is the only kit I've ever came up with that I thought was balanced/interesting/worth playing, so I'd really like to get to play it if someone could help me out. It's based on a Divine Champion dedicated to Torm, and I've tried to keep it close to the prestige class while keeping it balanced. Here it is:

Champion of Torm

Champions of Torm are powerful individuals in the service of The Loyal Fury. These holy warriors are dedicated to the protection of holy sites, priests, pilgrims, and furthering the causes important to Torm.

Advantages:

"Divine Wrath" - +3 to hit, +3 to damage, and +5% Damage Resistance once per day for 30 seconds. At Level 18 "Divine Wrath" gives +5 to hit, +5 to damage, and +10% Damage Resistance.

"Sacred Defense" - +1 to saving throws once per day, lasting 1 round/level, and increasing in strength every 7 levels (+1 at level 1, +2 at level 8, +3 at level 15, +4 at level 22, +5 at level 29).

Disadvantages:

Cannot Turn Undead
Cannot use Missile Weapons
May Only Specialize in Two-Handed Sword
Must be of a Good Alignment

If anyone could help me out with this kit idea I'd be extremely thankful.

Edited by BPaulsen, 05 June 2011 - 04:54 AM.

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 10:06 PM

This is a Paladin kit that's been done before in a mod, but it was buggy and overpowered.

A link or it didn't happen...

Disadvantages:
Must be of a Good Alignment

You do understand that in most BGII games, the "Paladin only" items might be actually restricted to Lawful Good, not just to ... Good, or to Paladins. In coding it doesn't matter that much, but this is just a warning.
And can we assume that the character is supposed to have "Lay On Hands" -ability once per day ?

I can code this, but it will take it's time to upload as even sending this message is hard from this computer...

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#3 BPaulsen

BPaulsen
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 10:44 PM

A link or it didn't happen...

http://forums.rpgdun...opic,984.0.html - mentions the bug with the saving throws bonus, and given there was never a version 5 to fix it...

http://forums.gibber...p?showtopic=956 - mentions the kit bonuses. The +3 to saves on top of the +2 Paladins get is overboard in my opinion, not to mention also getting extra Lay On Hands and the "Divine Wrath" idea all for nothing except losing missile weapons. It's kind of like trying to out-Cavalier the Cavalier when it comes to making the vanilla Paladin pointless. Maybe I'm wrong, but anyway...

You do understand that in most BGII games, the "Paladin only" items might be actually restricted to Lawful Good, not just to ... Good, or to Paladins. In coding it doesn't matter that much, but this is just a warning.
And can we assume that the character is supposed to have "Lay On Hands" -ability once per day ?

I can code this, but it will take it's time to upload as even sending this message is hard from this computer...

Yes, the character is supposed to have Lay on Hands once per day. Divine Champions get them just like the Paladin equivalent.

That's fine about the items. This character (at least by what Divine Champions usually are, and using the NWN "Champion of Torm" to help the idea along) should be able to pick any "Good" alignment. If a Chaotic Good Champion of Torm somehow loses out on using some items, it's all good.

I had gotten as far as a .tp2 file today in trying to force myself to learn this, but admittedly have no idea what I'm doing and it's probably all wrong:

BACKUP ~CoT/backup~
AUTHOR ~bryanswpaulsen@yahoo.com
displayed if installation fails

BEGIN ~Champion of Torm~
ADD_KIT ~CofTorm~
~CofTorm 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1~
~CofTorm 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 2 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 2 1 1 1 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5~
~CofTorm 15 0 0 0 14 17~
~CofTorm 0 0 0 0 0 0~
~CofTorm 0 0 0 0 0 0~
~CofTorm 0 0 0 0 0 0~
~CofTorm 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0~
~CofTorm 0 0 0 0 0 0~
~CoT/clabcot.2da~
~K_P_H K_P_D K_P_E K_P_HE K_P_HL K_P_HO~
~0x00000008 6~
~Pa0~
~PLAT15 * HELM01 BAG27 RING06 RING31 CLCK26 BOOT01 AMUL19 BRAC10 BELT10 AROW11,40 BULL03,40 BOLT06,40 POTN52,5 POTN04,2 POTN14,5 HAMM07 SW2H10 STAF08~
SAY ~Champion of Torm~
SAY ~Champion of Torm~
SAY ~Champion of Torm: Champions of Torm are powerful individuals in the service of 'The Loyal Fury'. These holy warriors are dedicated to the protection of holy sites, priests, pilgrims, and furthering the causes important to Torm.

Advantages:
- May use 'Divine Wrath' ability once per day. This ability lasts for 5 rounds, and becomes more powerful over time:
Level 1: +1 to hit, +1 to damage, +3% damage resistance
Level 8: +2 to hit, +2 to damage, +6% damage resistance
Level 15: +3 to hit, +3 to damage, +9% damage resistance
Level 22: +4 to hit, +4 to damage, +12% damage resistance
Level 29: +5 to hit, +5 to damage, +15% damage resistance
- May use 'Sacred Defense' ability once per day. This ability lasts for 1 round per level, and becomes more powerful over time:
Level 1: +1 to saving throws
Level 8: +2 to saving throws
Level 15: +3 to saving throws
Level 22: +4 to saving throws
Level 29: +5 to saving throws

Disadvantages:
- May not turn undead
- May not use missile weapons
- May not specialize in melee weapons other than Two Handed Sword~

COPY ~CoT/spells/DivWra.spl~ ~override~
COPY ~CoT/spells/SacDef.spl~ ~override~

Thanks a ton!

Edited by BPaulsen, 06 June 2011 - 01:23 AM.

#4 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:44 AM

I had gotten as far as a .tp2 file today in trying to force myself to learn this, but admittedly have no idea what I'm doing and it's probably all wrong:

BACKUP ~CoT/backup~
AUTHOR ~bryanswpaulsen@yahoo.com
displayed if installation fails

BEGIN ~Champion of Torm~
ADD_KIT ~CofTorm~
~CofTorm 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1~
~CofTorm 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 2 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 2 1 1 1 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5~

That's pretty good up until the last line, the last 5's might make the character unable to gain any levels when the character has gained more than it's fill on proficiency points, but when you replace the 5's with zeroes, there will never come an occuarance where the character is unable to gain levels because there is nowhere to place the proficiency points.
The rest, well let me show you: Attached File  ChampionofTorm.zip   618.81K   244 downloads

#5 BPaulsen

BPaulsen
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 05:35 AM

Thanks a bunch, it downloaded without any problems, and tested well. It's also given me a better idea of how the setup should look, so I'm learning.

I failed to mention previously that the damage resistance should function like Armor of Faith does (all forms of damage), instead of the way the HLA Hardiness does (just physical damage). I don't know how to go about fixing that...

Is there any way to tweak the spells a bit? I've done some testing of the character, and I think just a couple changes should be made to finalize the kit's abilities - they're in the .tp2 quoted below under "Advantages". Edit: I realized I had the wrong advantages listed, but they're correct now, and the only change left to complete the kit forever.

(By the way, can I send you a small donation for your efforts?)

BACKUP ~ChampionofTorm/backup~
AUTHOR ~Jarno Mikkola~
VERSION ~Beta 1~

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Champion of Torm Kit
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
BEGIN ~Champion of Torm Kit~

COPY ~ChampionofTorm/IJ#ct001.spl~ ~override/IJ#ct001.spl~ //Divine Wrath
SAY NAME1 ~Divine Wrath~
SAY NAME2 ~Divine Wrath~
COPY ~ChampionofTorm/IJ#ct002.spl~ ~override/IJ#ct002.spl~ //Sacred Defense
SAY NAME1 ~Sacred Defense~
SAY NAME2 ~Sacred Defense~
COPY ~ChampionofTorm/IJ#dturn.spl~ ~override/IJ#dturn.spl~ //Disable Turn Undead

// "internal" name of kit
ADD_KIT ~ICHATORM~
// CLASWEAP.2DA
~ICHATORM 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1~
// WEAPPROF.2DA, starting with line 3
~ICHATORM 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 3 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 2 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0~
// ABCLASRQ.2DA
~ICHATORM 9 0 12 0 13 17~
// ABCLSMOD.2DA
~ICHATORM 0 0 0 0 0 0~
// ABDCDSRQ.2DA
~ICHATORM 0 0 0 0 0 0~
// ABDCSCRQ.2DA
~ICHATORM 0 0 0 0 0 0~
// ALIGNMNT.2DA
~ICHATORM 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0~
// DUALCLAS.2DA
~ICHATORM 0 0 0 0 0 0~
// abilities 2DA file
~ChampionofTorm/IJ#ChaTo.2da~
// KITTABLE.2DA
~K_P_D K_P_E K_P_G K_P_H K_P_HE K_P_HL K_P_HO~
// KITLIST.2DA
~0x00000008 6~
// LUABBR.2DA
~Pa0~
// 25STWEAP.2DA
~CHAN09 * HELM07 BAG20 RING06 RING31 * BOOT01 AMUL19 BRAC16 BELT06 AROW11,40 BULL03,40 BOL06,40 POTN52,5 POTN04,2 POTN14,5 HAMM07 SW1H27 STAF08~
// Strings for lower, mixed and help descriptions
SAY ~Champion of Torm~
SAY ~Champion of Torm~
SAY ~CHAMPION OF TORM:
Champions of Torm are powerful individuals in the service of 'The Loyal Fury' that excel with Torm's favored weapon, the greatsword. These holy warriors are dedicated to the protection of holy sites, priests, pilgrims, leading crusades, and carrying out Torm's will in ways that other followers might not be able to.

Advantages:
- May become a master with the Two Handed Sword
- May use 'Divine Wrath' once per day per 4 levels: this ability lasts for 1 turn, granting a bonus of +3 to hit, +3 to damage, and 10% resistance to all forms of damage
- May use 'Sacred Defense' once per day: this ability lasts for 10 turns, granting a bonus of +1 to saving throws per 7 levels

Disadvantages:
- May not turn undead
- May not use missile weapons
- May only become proficient in melee weapons other than Two Handed Sword
- May only become proficient in weapon styles other than Two Handed Weapon Style~

Edited by BPaulsen, 07 June 2011 - 07:08 AM.

#6 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:42 AM

Would you know, I made this reply more than a few hours ago, and by then... so the file reflects those. I'll make later more adjustments.

(By the way, can I send you a small donation for your efforts?)

Well, if you have a PayPal account and want to, you can donate to this site upkeep on your own. I don't gain anything from it, but I really like this site, so.

... so I'm learning.

That was what I aimed for.

I failed to mention previously that the damage resistance should function like Armor of Faith does (all forms of damage), instead of the way the HLA Hardiness does (just physical damage). I don't know how to go about fixing that...

Ah, so you want the resistances to cover the full elemental damage spectrum, it can be done easily... I did them already. :)

Is there any way to tweak the spells a bit? I've done some testing of the character, and I think just a couple changes should be made to finalize the kit's abilities - they're in the .tp2 quoted below under "Advantages".

Advantages:
- May use 'Divine Wrath' once per day. This ability lasts for 1 turn, and gives the following bonuses:
1st level: +3 to hit, +3 to damage, +5% damage resistance
13th level: +5 to hit, +5 to damage, +10% damage resistance
25th level: +7 to hit, +7 to damage, +15% damage resistance
- May use 'Sacred Defense' once per day. This ability lasts for 10 turns, and gives the following bonus:
1st level: +1 to saving throws
6th level: +2 to saving throws
11th level: +3 to saving throws
16th level: +4 to saving throws
21st level: +5 to saving throws
26th level: +6 to saving throws
31st level: +7 to saving throws

Of course, like I said, I made these spells myself actually... did you like the spell icons ? Now to the ever exiting attaching of thing... Anything else you would wish to have done, or ask ?
I'll answer one thing though, we didn't actually make the character unable to turn undead, we just made so that the Turn Undead button in the interface is not click-able, so if you would assign an script that can make the paladin to use Turn Undead, the character would use the normal Turn Undead thing... but that's clearly cheating.

lasts for 1 turn,

Should you know, that's increadibly short time, it's literally 6 seconds in real time... I would personally put that to be 12, which is 2 turns, as the resistance doesn't matter that much at level 1... while the save throws in the Sacred Defence might be good to last only 8 turns...

Attached Files

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 07 June 2011 - 06:47 AM.

#7 BPaulsen

BPaulsen
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:47 AM

Would you know, I made this reply more than a few hours ago, and by then... so the file reflects those. I'll make later more adjustments.

I apologize for the continued tweaking. Thankfully it's nearly finished and this is the absolute last of it.

Well, if you have a PayPal account and want to, you can donate to this site upkeep on your own. I don't gain anything from it, but I really like this site, so.

Donation sent.

Ah, so you want the resistances to cover the full elemental damage spectrum, it can be done easily... I did them already. :)

Awesome. Yeah, elemental, physical, magical, everything, like Armor of Faith does.

Of course, like I said, I made these spells myself actually... did you like the spell icons ? Now to the ever exiting attaching of thing... Anything else you would wish to have done, or ask ?
I'll answer one thing though, we didn't actually make the character unable to turn undead, we just made so that the Turn Undead button in the interface is not click-able, so if you would assign an script that can make the paladin to use Turn Undead, the character would use the normal Turn Undead thing... but that's clearly cheating.

I thought the spell icon choices were excellent. Would it be possible to get some mini-icon that shows up in the picture to represent Divine Wrath/Sacred Defense as a way of knowing when they're active instead of checking the character sheet? If not it's not a big deal, but was just curious...

No cheating is intended, or at least I don't intend to cheat with this kit. Hopefully it ends up balanced enough in the end that others might want to use it because it's different, effective, but not powergamey. That's interesting to know though.

I'll put the final tweaks needed in the last part of this post...

Should you know, that's increadibly short time, it's literally 6 seconds in real time... I would personally put that to be 12, which is 2 turns, as the resistance doesn't matter that much at level 1... while the save throws in the Sacred Defence might be good to last only 8 turns...

For some reason I was under the impression that:

6 seconds = 1 round

10 rounds = 1 turn

1 turn = 1 minute

Advantages:
- May become a master with the Two Handed Sword
- May use 'Divine Wrath' once per day per 4 levels: this ability lasts for 1 turn, granting a bonus of +3 to hit, +3 to damage, and 10% resistance to all forms of damage
- May use 'Sacred Defense' once per day: this ability lasts for 10 turns, granting a bonus of +1 to saving throws per 7 levels

Two Handed Sword should allow 3 stars instead of 2.

For 'Divine Wrath' - 1 turn/10 rounds/1 minute, however is necessary to code it. Instead of progressing in power it will simply stay at +3/+3/10%, and add another use per every 4 levels (1, 5, 9, 13, 17, 21, 25, 29, 33).

For 'Sacred Defense': 10 turns/100 rounds/10 minutes, however is necessary to code it. Level 1/+1, Level 8/+2, Level 15/+3, Level 22/+4, Level 29/+5

This feels like the right balance. Use the .tp2 in my previous post for the updated kit description, and that's the last of it!

Edited by BPaulsen, 07 June 2011 - 09:02 AM.

#8 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 10:02 AM

OK, it 'ill be done.

#9 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:38 AM

I did this just minutes before I send the last message, so: Attached File  ChampionofTorm.zip   618.86K   216 downloads

I revised the timers, added the portrait icons, and did give the 'Divine Wrath' more charges when you level up, so now it should have everything asked. If you have more requests, just ask... I'll add this kit to the MegaModKits mod I have done earlier, so if you don't have anymore requests, I will not be updating this mod anymore... so it will always be in the beta 3 version. If you don't have requests.

#10 BPaulsen

BPaulsen
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:22 AM

If everything works as described in the kit description, then no further revisions are necessary. The kit is finished.

Thanks a ton for your help and patience!

(I'll let you know if there's any bugs since you're including it in your kit package, but I doubt there will be any problems.)

Edited by BPaulsen, 08 June 2011 - 03:28 AM.

#11 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:32 AM

You are welcome... I don't have patience, the kit was just too easy to make ... to not to do it.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that I did change the timers so that they are 60 real seconds and 600... I don't know what I was thinking in v2, but that shouldn't matter now. If you have input on the portrait icons after you have played a bit, I can still change them...

I'll let you know if there's any bugs since you're including it in your kit package, but I doubt there will be any problems.

Well, there shouldn't be, but I'll ofcourse welcome all input, from anyone.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 08 June 2011 - 03:34 AM.

#12 BPaulsen

BPaulsen
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:46 AM

You are welcome... I don't have patience, the kit was just too easy to make ... to not to do it.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that I did change the timers so that they are 60 real seconds and 600... I don't know what I was thinking in v2, but that shouldn't matter now. If you have input on the portrait icons after you have played a bit, I can still change them...

The portrait icons look great, and they make sense to me as well (Divine Wrath = Heroism, Sacred Defense = Good Luck). Awesome job, and the timers you used are what I was aiming for. Perfect.

I don't believe any changes will be necessary even after full testing. The only change that might happen after testing will be something even I can do (altering stars allowed for Two Handed Sword/altering kit description to reflect it) in case the character is over/underpowered. If I do decide to change it in the future after full testing, if you'd like since it's in your kit package mod, I can let you know if it changed.

Edited by BPaulsen, 08 June 2011 - 04:01 AM.

#13 BPaulsen

BPaulsen
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:01 AM

One small problem, and this is the only one.

Magic Damage is missing from "Divine Wrath" as one of the forms of damage that should be resisted.

#14 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:12 AM

Magic Damage is missing from "Divine Wrath" as one of the forms of damage that should be resisted.

Of course, :doh: , see there's magic cold and magic fire damages and if the character is hit with them and the damage that kill the char is either, the game crashes... so no one uses those, and so I forgot that magic missile for example uses the normal "magic" type damage... I'll correct that ... tomorrow. <_<
Any more notes ?

#15 BPaulsen

BPaulsen
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:06 AM

Of course, :doh: , see there's magic cold and magic fire damages and if the character is hit with them and the damage that kill the char is either, the game crashes... so no one uses those, and so I forgot that magic missile for example uses the normal "magic" type damage... I'll correct that ... tomorrow. <_<
Any more notes ?

Holy Power (4th level priest spell) has the best icon possible for Divine Wrath since the name of the icon fits the definition of the ability completely (Divine Wrath = Channeling a portion of Torm's power = Holy Power).

Ghost Armor (3rd level mage spell) has the best icon possible for Sacred Defense (Ghost = Soul = Sacred, Armor = Defense).

If possible, I'd like their icons used for both the innate ability icon, and status icon.

That's the last of it. Everything else has been checked and tested, and the kit is finished after those changes are implemented.

Edited by BPaulsen, 08 June 2011 - 06:42 AM.

#16 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 01:37 AM

OK, here it is: Attached File  ChampionofTormv4.zip   618.86K   213 downloads

I am going to use the beta 3 as the one in the MMKs mod... if there's no horrible messes with this.

#17 BPaulsen

BPaulsen
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 03:29 AM

It's perfect besides the "Magic Damage" resistance still missing from Divine Wrath. Other than that, looks phenominal and everything works as it is supposed to. You've done a fantastic job.

Thanks a ton!

Edited by BPaulsen, 10 June 2011 - 03:34 AM.

#18 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:53 AM

FYI: In the unmodified game, paladin-only items check for kit, not alignment. I vaguely remember having this discussion with someone and posting DLTCEP screenshots of Carsomyr's usabilities, but I can't seem to find the link. It's easy enough to check for yourself. Just get DLTCEP and click on the usabilities tab.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#19 BPaulsen

BPaulsen
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:56 PM

FYI: In the unmodified game, paladin-only items check for kit, not alignment. I vaguely remember having this discussion with someone and posting DLTCEP screenshots of Carsomyr's usabilities, but I can't seem to find the link. It's easy enough to check for yourself. Just get DLTCEP and click on the usabilities tab.

That's interesting. I've downloaded DLTCEP, but I don't know how to use it yet. Is there a tutorial somewhere that can be recommended?

Thanks to Jarno Mikkola, I can at least make the .tp2 look right now now, just have to learn how to create spells/set abilities, etc. Like here's the .tp2 for the final kit I'm working on:

BACKUP ~HolyLiberator/backup~
AUTHOR ~BPaulsen~
VERSION ~Beta 1~

// Holy Liberator Kit
BEGIN ~Holy Liberator Kit~

COPY ~HolyLiberator/P#HL001.spl~ ~override/P#HL001.spl~ //Subversion
SAY NAME1 ~Subversion~
SAY NAME2 ~Subversion~
COPY ~HolyLiberator/P#HL002.spl~ ~override/P#HL002.spl~ //Celestial Companion
SAY NAME1 ~Celestial Companion~
SAY NAME2 ~Celestial Companion~

// "internal" name of kit
ADD_KIT ~HOLYLIB~
// CLASWEAP.2DA
~HOLYLIB 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1~
// WEAPPROF.2DA, starting with line 3
~HOLYLIB 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 3 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5~
// ABCLASRQ.2DA
~HOLYLIB 14 0 0 0 14 14~
// ABCLSMOD.2DA
~HOLYLIB 0 0 0 0 0 0~
// ABDCDSRQ.2DA
~HOLYLIB 0 0 0 0 0 0~
// ABDCSCRQ.2DA
~HOLYLIB 0 0 0 0 0 0~
// ALIGNMNT.2DA
~HOLYLIB 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0~
// DUALCLAS.2DA
~HOLYLIB 0 0 0 0 0 0~
// abilities 2DA file
~HolyLiberator/P#HL.2da~
// KITTABLE.2DA
~K_P_D K_P_E K_P_G K_P_H K_P_HE K_P_HL K_P_HO~
// KITLIST.2DA
~0x00000020 6~
// LUABBR.2DA
~Pa0~
// 25STWEAP.2DA
~CHAN09 * HELM07 BAG20 RING06 RING31 * BOOT01 AMUL19 BRAC16 BELT06 AROW11,40 BULL03,40 BOL06,40 POTN52,5 POTN04,2 POTN14,5 HAMM07 SW1H27 STAF08~
// Strings for lower, mixed and help descriptions
SAY ~Holy Liberator~
SAY ~Holy Liberator~
SAY ~HOLY LIBERATOR:
The Holy Liberator is a holy warrior, a distant cousin of the paladin, who is dedicated to overthrowing tyranny wherever it may be found. These champions of freedom are strong-willed, independent-minded, and virtuous. They particularly direct their efforts against lawful evil societies (dictatorships or plutocracies), slaveholders and slave traders, and powerful, corrupt governments, but they also recognize the possibility for tyranny even in a state of anarchy (where strong individuals may impose their will on people weaker than they).

Advantages:
- Immune to charm and compulsion effects.
- 'Subversion' can be used once per day: this ability dispels charm and compulsion effects on nearby party members.
- 'Celestial companion' can be summoned once per day: the companion will fight alongside the Holy Liberator until it is slain.

Disadvantages:
- May not use 'lay on hands' ability

I'm pretty sure everything I have in the .tp2 looks correct, but that's where I'm stuck and need to learn more.

How do you give innate immunity to a specific set of spells/effects? Is it as simple as an innate Chaotic Commands, or is he immune to more than it covers? He's supposed to have immunity to all of the following: Bless, Command Word: Die, Aid, Charm Person or Mammal, Hold Person, Rigid Thinking, Mental Domination, Greater Command, Symbol Stun, Charm Person, Sleep, Luck, Power Word: Sleep, Dire Charm, Confusion, Emotion: Hopelessness, Chaos, Domination, Feeblemind, Power Word Stun, Power Word Blind, and Power Word Kill. I already know Mind Shield/Chaotic Commands icons can be used to represent these immunities, but I have to learn how to code that.

For subversion, is it possible to create a spell that just dispels all of those spells above effecting party members?

Celestial companion could just be the first level mage spell "Find Familiar", since it has the most in common, but renamed to celestial companion. There's not supposed to be a penalty for celestial companions dying, but that's not a big deal, and creating an actual celestial companion would be incredibly difficult I would think (would have to create a whole new creature to summon, and even though I have the stats/resistances/damages etc., just sounds hard to do)

Is additional coding required to keep the 'detect evil' 3+1/level that Paladins get, and the 'protection from evil' 1/level, or is that automatically applied as a Paladin?

Edited by BPaulsen, 11 June 2011 - 04:24 AM.

#20 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:10 AM

DLTCEP support topic

The tool is fairly intuitive, once you get it set up and working. That's the tricky bit, setting it up. At the moment, I don't have it on my rig, thanks to a virus that forced me to reinstall my OS, and I don't really feel like going up in the attic on a 90 degree day to look for my BG2 CDs, but I'll see if I can walk you through it from memory.

Once you have it extracted from the archive and run the setup, you're going to have a window that asks you to enter the path to your game directory. You can browse your hard drive to find it. Once you have done that and specified the kind of game it is, i.e. BG, BG2, IWD, or PS:T, make sure that write-protection is disabled (it's a checkbox on the righthand side of the window, don't remember if it's checked or unchecked by default, but I do remember that DLTCEP ships with write-protection turned on, so you'll need to either check or uncheck that box). Once that's done, you will just name the setup, something like (BG2 installation), and hit the "Save and Back" button.

I can't help you much with spell creation. The only spells I've made are totally lame and involve switching portraits/creature colors/creature animation. But I do remember that the IESDP is your friend. With that to rely on, you should be OK.

A quick glance at your tp2 shows a missing tilde after the kit description.

Good luck!

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum