Photo

Please help a newbie

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 klaussner

klaussner
  • 114 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 07:12 AM

I just started to use weidu because I fiddled with several items of the game and gave them new powers, identified name and descriptions, and created new items as well. Now I need to uninstall and reinstall BgII and I'd like to use weidu to add those new items and add the strings I created to dialog.tlk, and have it give the good stringrefs to the items I modified or created, rather than have to do it manually (kinda like the item upgrade mod does, adding new items and giving them the good stringrefs of new added strings.)
But I don't understand how I can have Weidu add new strings to dialog.tlk and how I can make it give the new stringsref to .itm files, and the readme and tutorials don't help since they mainly focus on creating .dlg files.
I now I'll have to create a tp2 file to execute the operations, but I have problems appending the dialog.tlk file.
Can someone help?

#2 Davide Carta

Davide Carta

Shadow Mage

• 75 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 10:15 AM

Try using these labels in the say

NAME1 ~The identified name~
NAME2 ~The unidentified name~
DESC ~The identified description~
UNIDENTIFIED_DESC ~The unidentified description~

Because I have a version of weidu were IDENTIFIED_DESC don't work, while DESC is good.
Else control if you haven't forgottens some string end (tida or quote)

If isn't one of these problems try to take a look to the weidu log file to find near what istructution has appened the problem and post the error message.

#3 klaussner

klaussner
  • 114 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 10:50 AM

Thanks for the help, but I don't even know in which file I shall put those new strings. Shall I create a .d file and put those on, then convert it in .dlg??
But then how can I tell Weidu to give the correct string refs?

#4 -jcompton-

-jcompton-

Posted 20 September 2002 - 10:03 PM

Take a look at a WeiDU mod that introduces a new item, like Kelsey.

All item/spell/CRE string patching takes place in the .tp2 file, which is the setup language.

COPY ~kelsey\j#amul01.itm~ ~override\j#amul01.itm~
SAY NAME1 ~Ceara's Amulet~
SAY NAME2 ~Amulet of Wild Magic~
SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC ~Ceara's amulet positively jumps with magical energy, but whatever specific purpose it may serve remains unclear.~
SAY DESC ~Ceara's power-mad research left no school of magic unattended. The discipline of wild magic caught her eye, and after extensive trials, including some spectacular failures, she managed to create a device that would allow any mage to release and shape a rush of wild magic. Even more impressive is the fact that the device saves enough of the wild surge to recharge itself for further use.

Abilities:

Cast Nahal's Reckless Dweomer once per day

Usable by:
Mages
Bards~

So you COPY in the item, and then you can perform SAY patching actions. You can use those aliases, or just specify in hex or decimal the offset you want to use (specified in IEFFHP/IESDP)

#5 klaussner

klaussner
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 September 2002 - 03:09 AM

I designed a tp2 file but when using Weidu to apply it, I get the following error:
PARSE ERROR at line2 column 9-18

near text: klaussner1
syntax error

ERROR: problem parsing tp file [PYMOD.tp2] : parsing.parse error
ERROR: parsing.parse error

here is my .tp2 file, can you tell me how to solve it?

BACKUP ~pymod\backup
AUTHOR ~klaussner1@caramail.com~
LANGUAGE ~English~ ~English~
BEGIN @1

Besides, there are strings I indicate in the file that are not stored in the dialog.tlk file. Will Weidu add them automatically?

#6 -jcompton-

-jcompton-

Posted 21 September 2002 - 05:39 AM

BACKUP ~pymod\backup
AUTHOR ~klaussner1@caramail.com~

Close the tilde after the first line.

Whenever WeiDU gives you a compile error, check the tildes around the line it says has the problem.

Besides, there are strings I indicate in the file that are not stored in the dialog.tlk file. Will Weidu add them automatically?

Yes.

#7 klaussner

klaussner
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 September 2002 - 09:39 AM

Many thanks jcompton, but now the program tells me there is an error in the copy line: (the first one below) but I can't find it, (I copied and pasted it directly from kelsey.tp2) can you help me please?

COPY ~pymod\c2keld01.itm~ ~override\c2keld01.itm~
SAY NAME1 ~Armure de plaques complète Firecam~
SAY NAME2 ~Armure de plaques améliorée de la famille Firecam~
SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC ~L'armure de plates complète est la meilleure armure qu'un guerrier puisse acheter, aussi bien d'un point de vue esthétique que pratique. Les plaques parfaitement fixées et imbriquées les unes dans les autres sont inclinées de façon à détourner les flèches et les coups, et l'ensemble de la tunique est soigneusement orné de riches gravures et de détails en relief.

PARAMETRES :

Classe d'Armure : 1
Poids : 70
Force nécessaire : 15
Non utilisable par :
Barde
Druide
Mage
Voleur.~
SAY DESC ~Improved Firecam Full-Plate Armor
This suit of armor was originally designed for Keldorn and few others may wear it. The suit was later enchanted again at 's request and it now provides Keldorn with even more protection. While equipped the suit provides the wearer with a +2 bonus to all saving throws and grants the wearer with free action (able to pass through webs and other effects) and immunity to fear. Despite being incredibly strong, the armor is almost weightless.

STATISTICS:

Armor Class: -2
Saving Throw Bonus: +2
Equipped Abilities: Free Action, Immunity to Fear
Weight: 10
Requires: Only wearable by Keldorn.~

I don't have to make a say command for each of the four stringsrefs if I don't need to right?

#8 -Ghreyfain-

-Ghreyfain-

Posted 21 September 2002 - 06:59 PM

What exactly is the error?

#9 klaussner

klaussner
  • 114 posts

Posted 22 September 2002 - 02:31 AM

I don't know, I can't find it.
That's why I'm asking for help.

#10 weimer

weimer
  • 1569 posts

Posted 22 September 2002 - 11:18 AM

He means "please copy the exact text of the message that you get from WeiDU telling you there is an error". That is, run WeiDU, install your mod, and then cut and paste all of the text from the screen into a posting here. We need to see the exact error *message* to decide what is going on.

#11 klaussner

klaussner
  • 114 posts

Posted 22 September 2002 - 11:30 AM

oh, sorry.
the error is a syntax error on line 7, col 1-4:

the seventh line is either the first COPY line or the UNIDENTIFIED_DESC line
(if blank lines aren't counted).
PARSE error at line seven column 1-4
near text: COPY
ERROR: problem parsing tp file [PYMOD.tp2] : parsing.parse error
ERROR: parsing.parse error

here are the first lines of my .tp2 file:

BACKUP ~pymod\backup~
AUTHOR ~klaussner@caramail.com~

COPY "pymod\c2keld01.itm" "override\c2keld01.itm"
SAY UNIDENTIFIED_DESC ~L'armure de plates complète est la meilleure armure qu'un guerrier puisse acheter, aussi bien d'un point de vue esthétique que pratique. Les plaques parfaitement fixées et imbriquées les unes dans les autres sont inclinées de façon à détourner les flèches et les coups, et l'ensemble de la tunique est soigneusement orné de riches gravures et de détails en relief.

PARAMETRES :

Classe d'Armure : 1
Poids : 70
Force nécessaire : 15
Non utilisable par :
Barde
Druide
Mage
Voleur.~
SAY DESC ~Improved Firecam Full-Plate Armor
This suit of armor was originally designed for Keldorn and few others may wear it. The suit was later enchanted again at 's request and it now provides Keldorn with even more protection. While equipped the suit provides the wearer with a +2 bonus to all saving throws and grants the wearer with free action (able to pass through webs and other effects) and immunity to fear. Despite being incredibly strong, the armor is almost weightless.

STATISTICS:

Armor Class: -2
Saving Throw Bonus: +2
Equipped Abilities: Free Action, Immunity to Fear
Weight: 10
Requires: Only wearable by Keldorn.~

#12 japheth

japheth

Codewalker

• 317 posts

Posted 22 September 2002 - 11:39 AM

Many thanks jcompton, but now the program tells me there is an error in the copy line: (the first one below) but I can't find it, (I copied and pasted it directly from kelsey.tp2) can you help me please?

COPY ~pymod\c2keld01.itm~ ~override\c2keld01.itm~

If the error is occuring at the COPY line command, nine times out of ten it's because you either are spelling the item name wrong in the tp2, or the path to the item is wrong.

Make sure that the relative path from WeiDU.exe to your item is exactly as your saying. By looking at your tp2 file, it looks like you have WeiDU.exe in your default BG2 directory. Make sure that the directory pymod (the one that is holding your item) is in the default directory as well, and also make sure you create your backup folder manually before executing the tp2.

Also, although WeiDU can take quotes for parsing purposes, it's good practice to use tildes instead incase you want to use quotes inside of any text.
Check out BG1Tutu.

#13 weimer

weimer
  • 1569 posts

Posted 22 September 2002 - 02:41 PM

PARSE error at line seven column 1-4
near text: COPY

here are the first lines of my .tp2 file:

BACKUP ~pymod\backup~
AUTHOR ~klaussner@caramail.com~

COPY "pymod\c2keld01.itm" "override\c2keld01.itm"

Your error is that you don't have a "BEGIN" declaration saying what module component we are installing.

After LANGUAGE but before COPY put something like

BEGIN "Mymod"

#14 klaussner

klaussner
  • 114 posts

Posted 22 September 2002 - 09:15 PM

Thanks for helping guys. the component now tries installing.
There are stil some errors but sice I will be away for few days I won't correct them now.