Photo

Question: Why block access to BG1 after transition to BG2?

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#81 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 12:10 AM

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Creepin" data-cid="574715" data-time="1420917082"><p>
Not to mention that BGEE sullied great name of a PC epic by allowing it to be played on lesser devices geared towards houseviwes and casuals.</p></blockquote>
This shit's got to be a joke
It is a joke right? Please tell me it was a joke, Creepin, because with video james people I'm never able to tell
It has all the markings of a joke, that is, is a phrase using words that no one would ever use to string up a nonsensical phrase
And yet I'm afraid I'm sharing a forum with people who actually believe this

#82 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:31 AM

I think what Creepin wanted to say is that the epitome of games was from 1998 to 2002. After that, games became more and more dull, decayed. Graphics became more important than content until content was almost irrelevant, like todays games mostly are. And that development is best seen in the fact that mobilephone games are as or more important than PC games. And what depth do mobile games have? None. You take out your phone for 5 minutes and play... oh, there's my bus.

Good games, like the series we all love here, require time and brains. Not fast fingers and childish graphics blinking most.

I don't think Creepin wanted to joke. He only did not express enough. I, too, despise todays games and the devices they are made for indicate their quality for me.

EDIT: there are quality exceptions like skyrim, of course.

Edited by Bloodtitan, 13 January 2015 - 09:34 AM.

#83 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:42 PM

I'm moving this to Mega Mod Help, because it's off-topic and I don't want to be pinged everytime someone posts here. If the good people of Mega Mod Help don't want this either, I humbly apologise and ask them to pass the buck to someone else (who isn't me, mind).

Edited by Wisp, 13 January 2015 - 01:42 PM.

#84 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:42 PM

I think what Creepin wanted to say is that the epitome of games was from 1998 to 2002. After that, games became more and more dull, decayed. Graphics became more important than content until content was almost irrelevant, like todays games mostly are. And that development is best seen in the fact that mobilephone games are as or more important than PC games. And what depth do mobile games have? None. You take out your phone for 5 minutes and play... oh, there's my bus.

Good games, like the series we all love here, require time and brains. Not fast fingers and childish graphics blinking most.

you are not helping your collective case

also games were garbage in 2000 as much as they are now

#85 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:15 PM

also games were garbage in 2000 as much as they are now

Well, there's technically just more of them now. Yes you made a good point, and hopefully we have thrown most of that old stuff out, but you can't say that all of it has been destroyed ...

You take out your phone for 5 minutes and play... oh, there's my bus.

Sorry, but one usually do not wait for a bus and play, one plays in the bus... unless they have the motion sickness. Why, cause it's easier to keep track on where you are, than how much time you still have left until you have to do the thing.

EDIT: there are quality exceptions like skyrim, of course.

Right... really man ? And what else garbage are we still dragging along ? Yes, I understand that you might like the game, and some of use do not. :devil:

@Wisp: :new_thumbs:

Back to topi... :devil: ...not, but anyways:

A question for those interested in going back to old areas - how long should it take to travel through Cloud Peaks? I've currently set it to additional 36 hours.

Well, that depends on the way the travel should go, but anyways originally I intended to use the travel time measure of 72(not 9) from the (Athkatla) city gate to the Gnoll fortress, which if you wish to know what it means is 4 in game hours per one, so that totals to 288 hours, which is 12 days in travel time on one direction, yes :) , it's walking and you go across a mountain range, hello, not just a few small hills. The travelers could normally actually use sea ships to travel from the city to city... so walking those distances is a huge deal. Ouh, and there's no roads directly across.

Edited by The Imp, 13 January 2015 - 04:25 PM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#86 micbaldur

micbaldur

Retired Perkele, Ultimate BWP player

• 1692 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:01 AM

I'm moving this to Mega Mod Help, because it's off-topic and I don't want to be pinged everytime someone posts here. If the good people of Mega Mod Help don't want this either, I humbly apologise and ask them to pass the buck to someone else (who isn't me, mind).

That's ok, maybe this "fits" Mega Mod Help better than Worldmap.

Sorry  :blush: about off-topic discussion (not that i have anything to do with it :D ).

@ Imp:

Maybe mod release is soon, umm....  :whistling: let's say, this weekend. :P

CHARNAMEs excellent adventures in the world of BWP expert-install here

Thanks to Leonardo Watson for making this possible

#87 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:03 PM

They are thieves and f**g plagiators ../.. NeJ3 for now introduces 3-4 times more content than begee

Who is not reusing areas and graphics???

Your arguments are absolutely hilarious. So you viciously cuss Beamdog as thieves and plagiarists, while defending your own use of professionally developed and copyrighted resources, that someone else made, with "who doesn't steal others areas and graphics???". Hypocrite.

It gets even better considering that Beamdog has paid for a license to use those very same resources and source code, while you just mooch.

Edited by Dakk, 14 January 2015 - 03:05 PM.

#88 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:28 AM

One thing that I noticed to be common among the more vocal part of modding crowd who don't support EE is that they seem to believe they own the game. That BG trademark is their private property and they possess the right to pass the ultimate judgement. 

And you know what's really funny? That initially I had felt the same. So grow up already.

Retired from modding.

#89 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:39 PM

Is it better, or worse than being owned by beamdog.....?

#90 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:41 PM

Is it better, or worse than being owned by beamdog.....?

I don't understand the question?

#91 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:26 PM

I'm just saying that acquiring people's work, new code monkeys, and internet forum warriors in one person was a pretty smart move on Beamdog's behaviour.

#92 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:18 PM

I was unaware that responding to abuse makes one an internet forum warrior... I'll take the blame for continuing the flame, sure enough, but let's say it was just one of those days, okay?

If you think that Beamdog is a prime evil draining the lifeforce out of the poor naive souls it has enslaved with the lure of grandeur, then whatever floats your boat, really. One-sided looks and all that. See my previous comment.

Edited by GeN1e, 15 January 2015 - 03:21 PM.

Retired from modding.

#93 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:40 PM

I'm just saying that acquiring people's work, new code monkeys, and internet forum warriors in one person was a pretty smart move on Beamdog's behaviour.

That's really harsh.

My spontaneous reaction is that had Beamdog not engaged with the community and reached out to experienced modders; they would have been called imperialists, haughty and evil capitalists. Having done the above, which, arguably, is the correct approach, they are instead called sinister puppetmasters and evil capitalists.

As an aside; I can't even imagine the abuse BioWare would have gotten back in the day if the forums of today existed then. "Why is TOB DLC and not included in the base game!?!? STOP NICKLE AND DIMING US!"

My personal opinion is that I'm (so far) somewhat underwhelmed by the EE:s. With that said, I can't even begin to understand how anyone can find the gall to criticize a private business endeavour to revive a (really) old computer game. That hurts who exactly?

People react like Beamdog are stealing money from the state that otherwise would have gone to starving kittens. Or - God forbid - are letting young'uns have fun with their private toy. Because if you weren't born when Baldurs Gate was originally released, sucks to be you. For surely, if you have modded the game (for free, gasp!) for more than of a decade, you probably should have a say in what happens to the game. My preciousssss

Edited by Dakk, 15 January 2015 - 03:46 PM.

#94 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:02 PM

No, imo Alma has a rather valid assumption. Where I disagree with him, is the fact it assumes said people are devoid of their own free will to make conscient decisions. See my pre-previous comment - I used to be of similar opinion at first, but then somehow has changed my mind well before getting into beta-test, let alone development.

PS Yes, I know it's all horribly out of topic.. I suggest to split the thread in two to keep the meaningful information unpolluted by the bickering.

Edited by GeN1e, 15 January 2015 - 04:05 PM.

Retired from modding.

#95 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 04:51 PM

Out of curiosity, what's your stance on this:

How can anyone take offence with the decision of a private business endeavour to revive a (really) old computer game.

Are you telling me you originally believed Beamdog to be greedy corporate raiders, out to get your game? And even so (because, sure, I suppose it could be plausible) that it would somehow negatively affect you? :)

Edited by Dakk, 15 January 2015 - 04:52 PM.

#96 micbaldur

micbaldur

Retired Perkele, Ultimate BWP player

• 1692 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:16 AM

Thank you very much to all you "good" people of SHS. :devil:

You spammed this topic of mine and now i can't play NEJ3 v 7.0 and TS v 7.05. :wall:

CHARNAMEs excellent adventures in the world of BWP expert-install here

Thanks to Leonardo Watson for making this possible

#97 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:46 AM

Question: how is it possible for Vlad to release NEJ? I mean, he took the content from IWD and sort of ripped it to put it into BG. Why wasn't he sued? I'm not exactly into American copyright laws but I've seen people getting sued for way less. How is he able to do something like that? Does he have the ok from the developers? Is it the fact that he gets no money?

Call it curiosity.

Edited by Sergio, 16 January 2015 - 07:48 AM.

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.

#98 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:22 AM

Question: ...
Call it curiosity.
Sergio, call me a paranoid, but I'm sure some matters must be left unmentioned unless you really want to brought ruin to all ie modding community. So please, remove that post of yours before some corporate lawyer shithead wander here and get some wrong idea.

Edited by Creepin, 16 January 2015 - 08:28 AM.

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#99 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:46 AM

Thank you very much to all you "good" people of SHS. :devil:

You spammed this topic of mine and now i can't play NEJ3 v 7.0 and TS v 7.05. :wall:

This was my concern too... we'll see, hopefully Vlad will eventually allow access to his work publicly ... and I would see that happening still after it has been "bullet proofed" with further tests.

Ouh, and micbaldur, just make a blackwyrmlair profile and make sure Vlad knows that you are, and ask for the download link for yourself. Trust him, and then for cheese sake provide him the feedback to the project ! He will respect that ! I am sure of it.

I would do this myself, but I have X-Com's Long War to finish. And other stuff...

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#100 Vlad

Vlad
  • 577 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:54 AM

micbaldur - No problems, just send me pm with your email address. The problem is not only the flames here, but also the amount of modifications I have introduced during the past 10 years. So, I want to be sure those who play provide any feedback, and those who don't play, won't post any sh$t in the net, including for example the following statement: "he took the content from IWD and sort of ripped it to put it into BG". 

Now to Sergio (I really hate these comments, they appear everywhere for years, people haven't played, but have a hutzpah to comment like this). See screenshots for yourself first, I doubt you saw that in IWD:

http://vlad.blackwyr...mages/scr15.jpg

http://vlad.blackwyr...mages/scr16.jpg

http://vlad.blackwyr...mages/scr18.jpg

http://vlad.blackwyr...mages/scr19.jpg

http://vlad.blackwyr...mages/scr20.jpg

http://vlad.blackwyr...mages/scr13.jpg

http://vlad.blackwyr...mages/scr11.jpg

Yes, there is IWD, but not the same you played. It was initially agreed between TeamBG and Interplay/Black Isle/BioWare that modders can modify the game resources or use them but not to touch bgmain.exe. Ken made this deal with the owners, and from there came all the great mods which heavily reused the game resources including porting the whole areas. Wes Weimer then helped a lot and simplified the process of modding and compatibility with different installations. It has been always the hugest challenge and the biggest problem to make the area graphics, so modders learnt to modify the existing graphics or use the whole areas from different IE games without modification, because in the end the creative plot, dialogues, characters is what make the great mod, not really the area graphics.

In addition, you may find the following disclaimer in all my mods:

"This unofficial add-on is the wholly independent product. It is neither authorised or sponsored by, nor licensed or affiliated with Interplay Productions, Black Isle Studios or BioWare Corporation. Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II and Icewind Dale are the trademarks of BioWare Corporation and Black Isle Studios. All titles, items, characters and art found, implemented, described or referred to in this add-on are trademarks of their respective companies. This project is absolutely non-commercial and non-profit, and may not be distributed commercially in any forms or in any parts."

Creepin, back in 2005, I was really surprised to see the CD with the BG2 mods including my TS and NeJ2 sold in one of the underground passages under Nevsky in St. Peterburg. I bought that CD!

Back in 2003, an editor of the famous PC game magazine in Germany requested my permission to release the CD with TS (there were TDD, CtB and several small mods on that CD) as an attachment to the issue devoted to the BG2 modding.

It's a long long story of modding. BioWare has never had any issue with the non-commercial mods, thanks to Ken and the initial agreement.

Now, Sergio, you want to sue me, you're welcome to try. But ask the credit card from your mom, first. 

Edited by Vlad, 16 January 2015 - 09:58 AM.