Tons of permission denied and other errors with BWP install

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 -Adam-

-Adam-

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:47 PM

Hello there. I recently got a desire to play through BG and BG2 again. The last time I played was when BGT was quite new. Imagine how happy I was to find something like the BWP available, and sounding easy to install even. Of course, it turns out to be anything but, at least for me.

I am using the GOG versions of both games, and have went through the steps to make things work with these versions. I run the setup GUI, download and extract all of the mods, everything goes well until the .bat file launches. Immediately, there are "permission denied errors", starting when it tries to move BWP files into the main folder. I go through choosing my options and such, and the install starts. Virtually every mod install fails. Permission denied errors occur when installs attempt to delete things. I get "unable to open bgmain.exe" errors when certain things install. Other times it claims files cannot be found. TDD fails, BGT fails, virtually every mod install fails.

This does not seem to be a problem with the GOG version, but rather some sort of security issue. I am running Windows 7 64 bit. UAC is off. Program compatibility is off. Antivirus and all security programs are off. All users have full permissions to the BG folders. I even unchecked the "read only" box for the BG folder and applied to all subfolders and files. Not a one of those things has made the slightest difference. I get all of the same permission denied errors every time.

I'm about to start breaking things, heh. Any idea what's wrong?

#2 Bloodtitan

Bloodtitan
  • 406 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:08 PM

you're running vista or 7 and try to intall into the program files folder.

#3 -Adam-

-Adam-

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:35 PM

Actually no.

BG is installed in D:\BG\Baldur's Gate
BG2 is installed in D:\BG\BGII - SoA

All of the paths have been corrected in the INIs.

As I said, I have followed every published step to get this working. Some sort of strange security issue is going on.

#4 Gaspare

Gaspare
  • 129 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:30 PM

Have you disabled UAC?

#5 -Adam-

-Adam-

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:42 PM

Yes, as I said in the third paragraph of my post.

#6 Hellcommander

Hellcommander
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:54 PM

Try running the bat file in admin mode by right clicking on run as admin on the command line program. Then change the patch to your install location and type "BiG World Install.bat" with the " around it. :cheers:

Edited by Hellcommander, 17 July 2011 - 11:56 PM.

#7 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:18 AM

BG is installed in D:\BG\Baldur's Gate
BG2 is installed in D:\BG\BGII - SoA

All of the paths have been corrected in the INIs.

Hmm, open the files and copy the [Alias] -lines to a post... :whistling: ... and we'll see. Yes, there's a trap in that, that you might not see.

Immediately, there are "permission denied errors"

The BW tools installing makes a debug file to the game directory, it should be called "BiG World Debug.txt", upload the file in a .zip archive(as the archive is literally ten times smaller).

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 18 July 2011 - 12:57 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#8 -Adam-

-Adam-

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:20 AM

Hellcommander: Thank you! I'd been running the bat file by right clicking "run as administrator" on the file itself, but did not think to run the command window itself that way. That fixed that problem :)

Unfortunately, there's now a new one... I've run the install 3 times now (with a new clean copy of the games each time), with the exact same problem all 3 times. It gets to the BGT install, and I get this:

If your folder Baldur's Gate is not to be found in the preset directory,
     the program stops and you see below on the left only the flashing cursor.
     Write then the path for your Baldur's Gate 1 game.
     Preset is:
                C:\Program Files\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate

Native language
Installing BGT, component[s] 0 with language-token 0
[setup-BGT.exe] WeiDU version 22900
[setup-BGT.exe] Using scripting style "BG2"
Using Language [English]

Installing [Baldur's Gate Trilogy - Core] [1.12 (12 Jun 2011)]
Creating 1 directory
Copying 1 file ...
Copying and patching 1 file ...
Copying 1 file ...

It hangs at that point for a good 30-40 minutes. Then I get a screenful of this:

Checking \=/
Checking \=/
Checking \=/
Checking \=/
Checking \=/
Checking \=/
Checking \=/
Checking \=/
C

It ends with that single C. The first time, I left it that way overnight, for about 9 hours. Nothing progressed. The other 2 times were obviously shorter, but its frozen. I get system beeps if I hit any keys in that window. Since it's happened at exactly the same point 3 times, there must be a specific problem going on. Any ideas what's happening there?

(btw Jarno, thanks for your attempt as well. I'll post my Alias sections below, although this part seems a non-issue now)

[Alias]
HD0:=D:\BG\Baldur's Gate\
CD1:=D:\BG\Baldur's Gate\
CD2:=D:\BG\Baldur's Gate\
CD3:=D:\BG\Baldur's Gate\
CD4:=D:\BG\Baldur's Gate\
CD5:=D:\BG\Baldur's Gate\
CD6:=D:\BG\Baldur's Gate\

[Alias]
HD0:=D:\BG\BGII - SoA\
CD1:=D:\BG\BGII - SoA\
CD2:=D:\BG\BGII - SoA\
CD3:=D:\BG\BGII - SoA\
CD4:=D:\BG\BGII - SoA\
CD5:=D:\BG\BGII - SoA\;D:\BG\BGII - SoA\CD5\
CD6:=D:\BG\BGII - SoA\

#9 -Adam-

-Adam-

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:59 AM

Anyone got any ideas? Please? I've tried several more times, with the same results. The only thing I can find from reading around here is that it's a problem with the BG1 path. But, nothing can be typed in, as it's frozen. I've looked through the text of the .bat files for a place to put the path, but can't find anything. I really, really want to play this, heh.

#10 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:25 AM

I guess you did not enter D:\BG\Baldur's Gate[Enter] like the setup suggested itself?
THINK! - It's not illegal.

#11 -Adam-

-Adam-

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:55 AM

Um, enter it where? As I said, the process just stops. It's not possible to type anything in.

#12 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:25 AM

It's the point where it asks for the directory. I guess it just gets messed up because of multiple tee'd redirections. (Tee is a program to put text into the stdout of your cmd-console and into a textfile.)

Look into the BiG World Debug.txt or Setup-BGT.Debug, the question should be right there.
So just type the path, press enter and see if it works.

#13 -Adam-

-Adam-

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:42 AM

Right, but it never asks for the directory. I've installed BGT on its own before, and I know what you mean. That simply never happens with this install within BWP though. It's like it just starts trying to install anyway, and then it just hangs. The cursor is dead, nothing can be typed in, and in fact you usually get system beeps with any keystroke you make.

Is there somewhere within the .bat file where I can just change the preset path to the right one? This is mentioned in the readme, but the readme is apparently out of date, because the line it says to edit is simply not there. For the record, in one of my many attempts, I copied the BG directory to match the preset path in the Program Files folder, but the exact same thing happened. UAC is off, and I gave all users full permissions to the folder, so it should have worked if that is where the program is looking. But it did not.

So frustrating... I'm dying to play this, and it seems like this should not be so hard to fix.

#14 dabus

dabus
  • 1982 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:52 AM

Edit the BiG World Install.bat and change
Call %INST% BGT "0" "TYPE BWP_BGT_input.txt"
to
Pause
, so the batch will just halt. You can install BGT on your own and press any key to continue...

#15 -Adam-

-Adam-

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:34 AM

Well, thank you for that. I installed BGT manually during the pause, and all appears to have worked properly. The BWP install is now carrying on, fingers crossed that there's not another problem later on. I guess this should be a bug of some type to track down and fix, happy to help do that if anyone wishes to, though I have no idea where to start.

Anyway, thanks again, hopefully all is well from now on.

#16 -Adam-

-Adam-

Posted 20 July 2011 - 09:32 AM

Just thought I would let you all know, and thank you for the help. I'm now happily playing the game, I've just left the FAI, so things appear to be working out fine. Woah, things have been tightened down on the rules, wonder which mod did that :) Jaheira can no longer use any decent armor. Correct by D&D rules, but she could always wear whatever before, at least according to my many years old memories.

I did have one problem that doesn't appear to be related to BWP at all. I got all kinds of weird glitches with black squares, especially on the area map, so much so that it was basically unusable. From what I've read, it's related to my 8000 series Nvidia card. None of the fixes worked, so I'm playing the game on my laptop instead, heh. It does run and look perfect there.

#17 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:03 AM

I did have one problem that doesn't appear to be related to BWP at all. I got all kinds of weird glitches with black squares, especially on the area map, so much so that it was basically unusable. From what I've read, it's related to my 8000 series Nvidia card. None of the fixes worked, so I'm playing the game on my laptop instead, heh. It does run and look perfect there.

So did you actually play the game before you installed the mods, as then you should see the black box issue and correct it before you actually install mods.
Run the BGConfig.exe,

Hardware -> Enable 3D Acceleration. Display -> 32 bit. 2d & 3d options: enable 3D Animations, 3D Acceleration and 32 bit textures, disable the Disable Vertex Padding option.

+ Test -> Apply -> OK.
Posted Image

#18 -Adam-

-Adam-

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:32 AM

I played the game only long enough to create a save in each game, as suggested by the directions. I certainly never looked at the maps, which is where it is really noticeable.

Also, as I said, none of the fixes worked for me, including the one you posted. That particular one made all text unreadable, and generally destroyed everything visually. I do research my own issues as much as possible before asking. I've spent countless hours here and elsewhere reading 100s of forum threads :) I tried that one, as well as switching to 16bit and software blt, and even a "fixed" dll file for the nvidia driver. None of them worked (or as I said, the first one made the graphics far worse). I'll play on my laptop until I get a new video card in the future, hehe.

#19 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:09 AM

What do you use to start the game with ? If it's a quick icon, where does it lead...

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 21 July 2011 - 06:10 AM.

#20 -Adam-

-Adam-

Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:44 AM

I use the TobExLoader, as I read was suggested. The game looks perfect and runs flawlessly on my laptop (just saved Dynaheir, hehe).