• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 HighTimeRodeo

HighTimeRodeo

It's high time the rodeo came to town!

• 160 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:02 AM

Hi all!!

As a fan of this mod, Sarevok and Aeryn, I'm obliged to say that the popularity of the Sarevok Romance Mod is increasing!!

I've found several artworks on DeviantART that praise the work, this one especially The Past is the Past. I love this one.

Just thought I oughta post this. Aeryn, you're fame is spreading!!
That gave Jarlaxle pause. "Because I love you as a brother, I pray that you will one day fathom the truth of it all, my friend."

"They're dragons," Entreri muttered. "And I know how Drow love their brothers."

-Road of the Patriarch

#2 Aeryn

Aeryn

Peacekeeper

• Modder
  • 764 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:57 AM

Thanks, dear! :hug: It's always a treat to see art and stories inspired by dear Sarevok.

I can't lie - I love it when people enjoy the mod, but the people who are offended by its very existence amuse me as well. :D So, love or hate, it's win/win for me!

Visit My Etsy Shop!

Completed Works:

Sarevok Romance

Haer'Dalis Romance

Sarevok Friendship

Contributions:

Romantic Encounters

Works in Progress:

Haer'Dalis Friendship

#3 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:15 PM

I'm conflicted... On one hand I am genuinely curious (especially after seeing how well written your teasers are for you HD romance which I will play in heartbeat once it is complete) about the romance in this mod... but on the other hand I have a hard time getting past the technicality of a PC/Sarevok romance being incestuous... not to mention the whole he killed Gorion thing... what to do...

XD I still can't romance Jaheira as a male PC for a similar reason because I saw her and Khalid as a sort of surrogate parents for the PC and Imoen after Gorion's death... I am still furious at Bioware for killing Khalid. (and for not having Garrik as playable in bg2 XD his morale failure practically quotes monty python, he's a favorite of mine for that alone XD yes I'm weird, why do you ask? Also kind of felt bad for the poor guy being on the losing end of the Skie love triangle, Eldoth is a manipulative bastard and needs to die in a fire imo >:[ ) Umm wow... XD sorry for that tangent coming out of nowhere.... I do that sorry really really sorry ^_^;

(on an unrelated note thinking of joining the forums because I have bad vision and the confirm code thing really hurts my eyes trying to read it)

#4 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:30 AM

Guest, if you send me an email at kae at. (spellholdstudios).net with the username you would like, I can set up an account for you.

#5 Aeryn

Aeryn

Peacekeeper

• Modder
  • 764 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:54 AM

*snip* I have a hard time getting past the technicality of a PC/Sarevok romance being incestuous... *snip*

My personal opinion is that the only link between Sarevok and the PC is the taint, which Sarevok no longer has. If anything, I'd say it's a far more intimate thing to give Sarevok a piece of the PC's soul than anything that can happen in the mod. :P Everyone is of course entitled to their own interpretation of things, and I don't blame you for your opinion. I can assure you that a physical relationship is not a necessary part of the romance or the mod itself. It's entirely possible to play from beginning to end without crossing into "romantic" territory if you choose to play it that way. The title is a bit misleading because that's not the only type of relationship that can develop. I would urge anyone to try it for themselves before they write it off. :)

Visit My Etsy Shop!

Completed Works:

Sarevok Romance

Haer'Dalis Romance

Sarevok Friendship

Contributions:

Romantic Encounters

Works in Progress:

Haer'Dalis Friendship

#6 HighTimeRodeo

HighTimeRodeo

• 160 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:32 PM

@Guest soon to be member: As a proponent of Sarevok and all his goodness... I must back Aeryn's claim that the more intimate thing to do is give Sarevok a piece of your soul.

But, as a writer and a sister in my own right, I can see the potential ickyness that this situation could bring.

Can I play Devil's Advocate? Okay then.

One of the things to remember is that Sarevok has just come back from the results of his previous actions and has never really seen CHARNAME as his sister. The Gorion thing... If we gang up on Aeryn maybe she can add a dialogue to handle the potential explosive implications of that in the next version... :) I think he's looking for a different relationship with CHARNAME, either platonic, as her right hand and bodyguard, or something more. Aeryn has created the option of going the platonic or, my personal favorite (though I wish though she'd offer some adult content, even if a label must be graffitied onto the fourth wall of the game), the physical relationship.

Just some food for the internal argument I had several years ago before Sarevok wormed his way into my psyche. I eventually gave up. XD

Edited by HighTimeRodeo, 24 August 2011 - 04:34 PM.

That gave Jarlaxle pause. "Because I love you as a brother, I pray that you will one day fathom the truth of it all, my friend."

-Road of the Patriarch

#7 -Iavasechui-

-Iavasechui-

Posted 24 August 2011 - 07:06 PM

Well I guess I will be giving this mod a try once I finish my current playthrough. I'll probably try for the more platonic outcomes though ^_^; I just consider that deity or not sharing the same father means sharing the same genetics, sure the taint is gone now but he still had to get half his dna from Bhaal. At least that's how I see it. Same reason I don't want to see a male pc paired with Imoen, I thought of them as foster siblings at first, then I found out Imoen actually was a bhaalspawn too... though I still don't get how she is the only bhaalspawn who can be raised from the dead without giving up soul pieces... XD

(XD what really confused me is the conflicting background stories for your pc from BG1 to BG2... BG1 Gorion took you in when your mother died because they used to be lovers and Bhaal raped her or something, BG2 Gorion saved you from your mother who was going to sacrifice you and saving you over the others was luck of the draw... did Gorion actually have relations with a Priestess of Bhaal? Or is this a plothole? Well that and the chinchilla bhaalspawn but I think that was intended to be a joke.)

Definitely going to have to join... I tried that email did you get it or did I type it wrong? I can't keep refreshing that thing 500 times every time I go to post I'm legally blind in my left eye, I can't read at all with it unless the text is 30ft tall and barely at that. My right eye is much better but I still have serious trouble with that code box...

Also completely off topic but I can't be the only one whose favorite character in BG1 was Garrik can I? ^_^;

#8 HighTimeRodeo

HighTimeRodeo

• 160 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:15 AM

I can definitely see the implications and that was my thought for the longest time. To each their own and be proud of it!!

I think you might be able to increase the size of the text of your browser to try and help with verify code. CTRL and then UP on either a keypad for a laptop or the scroll wheel on the mouse.

-Road of the Patriarch

#9 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:45 AM

Also completely off topic but I can't be the only one whose favorite character in BG1 was Garrik can I? ^_^;

While not my favourite of favourites - that would be Xan - I adore Garrick, too!

I'll have to third the devil's advocate thing; the Sarevok romance is awesome. :)

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#10 Aeryn

Aeryn

Peacekeeper

• Modder
  • 764 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:30 AM

Thank you! :D

I never had the genetic hangup myself. Maybe if Bhaal hadn't produced any Gromnirs, Yaga-Shuras, Sendais, or Abazigals it would be easier for me to believe that there's some DNA link between all of the Children. And I'm admittedly much more sensitive to emotional connections than genetic ones. Example: I would never romance Imoen, not because she's a half-sister through Bhaal, but because she and my PC(s) were raised together and they forged a sibling relationship. The idea of going from brother/sister or sister/sister feelings to romantic or sexual feelings makes me cringe. I definitely understand the "I am SO not going there" reaction - it just comes from a different direction for me. :)

Visit My Etsy Shop!

Completed Works:

Sarevok Romance

Haer'Dalis Romance

Sarevok Friendship

Contributions:

Romantic Encounters

Works in Progress:

Haer'Dalis Friendship

#11 HighTimeRodeo

HighTimeRodeo

• 160 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 09:40 AM

Yeah, I agree with Aeryn. I can hardly stand my brother as my brother, I can't even process the idea... Ick.

-Road of the Patriarch

#12 -Iavasechui-

-Iavasechui-

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:15 AM

Well obviously your mother's genes are where you get your race (if you're a halfelf she is also a halfelf) and Bhaal genes are where you get your god powers and the ability to be male since he's the absolute only source of a y. I mean if all Bhaal gave his children was the taint then they would all be female.

Apparently it also alters charname's maturity because correct me if I'm wrong but there is a huge difference between a 20 year old elf, 20 year old human, and a 20 year old halforc with elves aging slower and halforcs should age faster since they have longer and shorter lifespans respectively.

XD this is my half awake trying not to go back to sleep thought process sorry if it makes no sense.

#13 HighTimeRodeo

HighTimeRodeo

• 160 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:34 AM

I hadn't thought of that.

Gotta wonder, what did Sarevok's mother look like? We get a general idea of what Alianna looks like... I wanna see what his mother would look like!

-Road of the Patriarch

#14 Aeryn

Aeryn

Peacekeeper

• Modder
  • 764 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:51 AM

This is a lot more effort than I usually give to discussions of divine conception in fantasy worlds. :lol:

The godpowers are absolutely not tied to genetic information - Sarevok himself is proof of that. That comes solely from the taint, and once the taint returned to Bhaal's throne, the powers were gone. But with that said, I never meant to imply that Bhaal didn't provide genetic information to his children, only that his genetic information was not the same each time he knocked up another woman. Unless I've completely misunderstood the events before the Time of Troubles (which is entirely possible, and I'm open to correction), Bhaal took on different forms to impregnate the various races. I can't accept that his DNA when he was a dragon was the same as his DNA when he was a gnome or a firegiant. Even in cases where several of his children were human, it's not unreasonable to believe he was a different human each time. But I'm no expert in godly DNA, so I could be completely off base. :P

Visit My Etsy Shop!

Completed Works:

Sarevok Romance

Haer'Dalis Romance

Sarevok Friendship

Contributions:

Romantic Encounters

Works in Progress:

Haer'Dalis Friendship

#15 -Iavasechui-

-Iavasechui-

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:45 AM

XD sorry I'm just weird I guess ^_^;

#16 Aeryn

Aeryn

Peacekeeper

• Modder
  • 764 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:16 PM

Not at all! :hug: I'd rather argue than breathe, so I'm enjoying the back-and-forth. Frankly, I really appreciate your opinion - most people who feel the way you do about the romance angle either avoid talking about it completely or express it in...irrational and unpleasant ways. It's nice to read an opposing opinion without all the extra stuff. :)

Visit My Etsy Shop!

Completed Works:

Sarevok Romance

Haer'Dalis Romance

Sarevok Friendship

Contributions:

Romantic Encounters

Works in Progress:

Haer'Dalis Friendship

#17 -Iavasechui-

-Iavasechui-

Posted 26 August 2011 - 01:32 PM

^_^; honestly this is tame compared to the fe4 boards, there's so much incest in that game, both canon and potential based on the pairing system. Granted in the case of major canon one it was the result two half siblings who did not know they were related and one had been mind wiped by a third party who wanted these two to marry to have a child who could be a vessel for the rebirth of the big bad in the backstory.

XD and if that wasn't disturbing enough in the second half of the game two of the predestined (extremely easy to make) pairings are Patty and Lester, and Faval and Lana. Okay Patty and Faval are siblings, Lana and Lester are siblings. But the weirdness is that Brigid (Patty and Faval's mother) and Aideen (Lana and Lester's mother) are identical twins. Not only are Lana and Lester cousins with Faval and Patty but due to the genetics of identical twins they are also genetically half siblings since their mothers have identical dna.

Disturbing no? XD Sorry for the extreme off topicness

#18 HighTimeRodeo

HighTimeRodeo

• 160 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:43 PM

Definitely disturbing and off-topicness isn't that bad. As long as Aeryn keeps posting the name Sarevok, we're good!

-Road of the Patriarch

#19 Aeryn

Aeryn

Peacekeeper

• Modder
  • 764 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:00 PM

I have a somewhat unusual relationship with my half-brother - he raised me after our mom was killed when I was very young - and the idea of having any sort of attraction to him in a romantic sense makes me queasy. Writing Sarevok's romance was in no way some roundabout form of giving my approval of incest...in case there was any doubt on that particular point. :lol: People are entitled to their personal kinks, but that definitely ain't one of mine.

If anything, I suspected people would be more hung up on the fact that he's Gorion's murderer than on the possible sibling issue.

Visit My Etsy Shop!

Completed Works:

Sarevok Romance

Haer'Dalis Romance

Sarevok Friendship

Contributions:

Romantic Encounters

Works in Progress:

Haer'Dalis Friendship

#20 HighTimeRodeo

HighTimeRodeo

• 160 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:52 PM

If anything, I suspected people would be more hung up on the fact that he's Gorion's murderer than on the possible sibling issue.

Probably. I know I'm still not enthused about people who were simply jerks to my family. I don't think I could forgive someone who actually hurt/killed one of them.

But then, that's the value of fantasy. We can do things we'd never do in real life. :P

-Road of the Patriarch