Photo

issues at start of install

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 aardvark1

aardvark1
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:04 AM

after hearing about this project and not having played bg1 or 2 for eons, i decided to give this a shot. i d-loaded what i think is the latest version(according to fileplanet) and followed (tried to) the instructions to the letter. problem was i ran into and issue right from the start. i followed all the steps(installing games/patches, starting new games and making a Q save on each one)installed bwp in the bg2soa fodler, then launched the bwsetup.vbs. got the initial screen where it asked whether i wanted to update and the instructions said to say yes. so i did......and i got this error:

Fetching program-updates failed.

Probably the required file for the BWS is not available at the moment.

Due to these circumstances some new additions and fixes may not be available for you.

Since this implies a high potential of errors, we advice you to close the application, wait a few minutes and try to execute the the application once more.

i retried over 30 times over a 2 day span and nothing, so i tried continuing anyways by relaunching but saying no. as far as i know, most of it seems to have worked as i started a new bg1 game and noticed changes right off.....but probably because of that initial error and skipping over it, i never got an actual menu asking me which mods to install or not install.

even after i skipped the initial phase to choosing "no", i ran into another problem with the updating url option it freezes and does nothing. again i skipped that part i got it to work and it installed mods. so obviously something didn't work for me so i guess i need to know wth i did wrong? do i in fact have the wrong version?(9-20110501)? i saw somewhere that an ipdate to 9.8 was done but i didn't find it in the d-loads section. i'd appreciate any help and if more info is required, please ask and i'll provide additional info.

as i said though, many of the mods seem to be working, but without a list i don't really know what i have(well i do somewhat after jarno mikkola kindly pointed me to the weidu file and also pointed to this forum to post issues). but some of the mods that have added some difficulty i'd like to drop as meeting a dread wolf on my 1st screen away from candlekeep with naught but a 1/4 staff and my skin proved too deadly(that and those bloody 1 shot archer npc's killing my party b4 i even get to them or cast a spell lol). what i've seen of the other mods so far though i like very much. using the bg2 graphics and interface is very nice and i've run into some new npc's, new quests in beregost and a few other things so far. really spruces up the old game quite a lot :D . cheers

ps forgive any typos. we're experiencing a freak september cold spell here and i'm shaking so bad my teeth hurt lol.

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:12 PM

after hearing about this project and not having played bg1 or 2 for eons, i decided to give this a shot. i d-loaded what i think is the latest version(according to fileplanet) and followed (tried to) the instructions to the letter. problem was i ran into and issue right from the start. i followed all the steps(installing games/patches, starting new games and making a Q save on each one)installed bwp in the bg2soa fodler, then launched the bwsetup.vbs. got the initial screen where it asked whether i wanted to update and the instructions said to say yes. so i did......and i got this error:

Well, you cannot update the BWS as the service has been discontinued. So you have to do the possible updates yourself. Yes, it's a little broken, but far less than making the whole thing by hand.

ps forgive any typos. we're experiencing a freak september cold spell here and i'm shaking so bad my teeth hurt lol.

OK, I can forgive the typoes ... but I really dislike the "I am too cool for to be understood", additude.
The English sentences start with CAPITAL letters, the "d-load" isn't a proper word, and there's no such a thing as "bwsetup.vbs."; as the space(" ", there quoted for you...) is required to properly understood... "launched the bwsetup.vbs ." Not that I have any authority or the like, but think of it like this, if you are fully understood, you are more likely to get the properly formated answer too. And what's freaky about cold september? If there was snow in the June and December, then it's a freaky cold year, but anyway... and just so you know, I am from Finland, so this is not English is my native language -thing. Actually it's quite the opposite, and yes, I know what you ment with the "d-load" word.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 14 September 2011 - 10:27 PM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#3 aardvark1

aardvark1
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:58 AM

Well at least that answers ONE question I had, but not the rest. As far as doing things manually? I know nothing about modding or how to update any of this manually. You should see the mess I made of the installation last night trying to fix things so the difficulty mods I complained about could be deleted. I ended up having to delete the entire game so I could do a fresh install today.

Now as far as some of your comments go, i'm not a nasty person,not is it my intention to start an international incident here, but I don't like people passing judgement on me based on the fact that I neglected to capitalize my 1st words in each sentence (I confess i've grown too pampered by my auto-editing software when I do some work at home)or accusing me of having an "I am too cool to be undestood" attitude just because I employ what are commonly used and accepted short forms in north america. And just so you know, although fluent in English, it isn't my 1st language. If that displeases you I apologize and will endeavour to stop using short forms. At least I don't go around screwing up their/they're/there or we're/were/where among others like so many folks these days, but that's a discussion for another time in another forum.

As for the file name for the bwsetup.vbs file I quoted , that was taken directly from the instructions I downloaded, so blame the author of that instruction page not me. I did notice the file name looked different when searching for it in the Shadows of Amn file, but I assumed it was the same file and used it. The only reason I used a different set of instructions was because the one that came with the file was too vague.(For your information, I downloaded this file from fileplanet which is why I asked in this post, after you mentioned it on my other post, whether or not I had the proper version).

On a lighter note, i don't know what the weather's like in finland other than hearsay or 3rd party information i've heard from people, which tends to be exagerated or inacurate at best :D . Normally our Septembers are fairly warm before we start the October chilly season and full blown winter sets in around late October/early November. The reason for my chilliness right now is the odd weather. We went from highs/lows of 23 and 17 celsius last sunday to 12 and 6 celsius starting the following monday. We should be back to normal by this saturday with highs of 22. The sudden drop in temperatures is a shock to the system when it's so sudden. We get nasty winters here as well this far north in Canada, but it comes gradually so our bodies have time to adapt.....usually :lol: . just so you know, i hope my post doesn't make me sound angry towards you, i was a little annoyed at the assumptions, but i didn't take it to heart and hope i was able to convey my point of view adequately and hope to get a few more answers so i can run this wonderful program properly soon.

Cheers and be well :D

#4 aardvark1

aardvark1
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:04 AM

No need to respond to this post. Though i'm still not fond of the overpowered archers so early in the game, i've managed to get everything working. I did run into an odd problem and was going to post it, but I figured out what the issue was. I had an (assertion failure in ChDimm.cpp at line number 834).
At some point during the installation, I was forced to change my file name for soa or it wouldn't continue to install. I had typed it without spaces when setting up my installation file(I named my install file BGII-Soa but the BW installer wanted BGII - Soa). But after completing the installation process, when i started playing using the TobExLoader(as the instructions said) the 1st time, that's when i got the error. I figured this error had to do with that renaming and manually changed it and the shortcut back to no spaces. worked and now i can start using the shortcut to play instead of the TobExLoader. Here's hoping this doesn't cause more issues later. Everything seems to working fine so far though. Will check the forums if I run into any bugs or issues for solutions. cheers