Photo

BWS - NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS - A frustrating successful Journey

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 thistleknot

thistleknot
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:20 AM

I've gotten Big World Setup to install in the past, so I'm not a newb.

First thing I noticed, is that when I did a Standard install/package from a clean install. It fails to acquire quite a few critical mods and cancels the installation.

So...

I copied the files from my priorly working SOA folder to get these missing packages (not overwriting any existing files)

Yet, when I get the installer going, almost every package comes back as NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS

INCLUDING THE INITIAL CORE FIXES PACKAGE

I also typed SL for Standard, English only during installation, and one of the first packages it fails on is some korean language pack (weidu actually crashes).

I thought it was because the command prompt window didn't have elevated privileges, so I started the initial big world...vbs file from an elevated command prompt.

Here's an example

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED Additional merchant with new items

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Interjections

INSTALLED WITH WARNINGS Tomes and manuals

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED Additional portraits

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED Lost item descriptions

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Dragonsuit & Glory of Balduran (ToB)

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS New racial enemies

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Miscellaneous tweaks

Press ENTER to exit.

and more

Using Language [English (MajorTomSawyer & Rabain)]
[dialog.tlk] created, 87195 string entries

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS New kit (Gladiator)

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS New kit (Knight)

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS New kit (Duelist)

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS New kit (Legionnaire)

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS New kit (Globe-trotter)

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS New kit (Dragon Slayer)

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS New kit (Crusader)

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS New kit (Fright of Liches)

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS New kit (Silent Killer)

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS New kit (Priest of Auril)

Press ENTER to exit.

and more

Near Text: )
[AreaCheck] not found in TRIGGER.IDS

[rupert/rupert/JL#RUPR2.baf] ERROR at line 2 column 1-19
Parsing.Parse_error
ERROR: parsing [rupert/rupert/JL#RUPR2.baf]: Parsing.Parse_error
Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Rupert the Dye Merchant (for BG2 or TuTu/BGT)], rolling back t
o previous state
Will uninstall 829 files for [RUPERT/SETUP-RUPERT.TP2] component 0.
Uninstalled 829 files for [RUPERT/SETUP-RUPERT.TP2] component 0.
ERROR: Parsing.Parse_error
PLEASE email the file SETUP-RUPERT.DEBUG to jonalun@gmail.com
Automatically Skipping [Rupert the Dye Merchant (for BG2 or TuTu/BGT)] because o
f error.
Using Language [English]
[dialog.tlk] created, 87261 string entries

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Rupert the Dye Merchant (for BG2 or TuTu/BGT)

Press ENTER to exit.

Edited by thistleknot, 26 November 2011 - 07:01 AM.

#2 thistleknot

thistleknot
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 12:28 PM

Well seeing how no one's responded, I guess I'm going to do this the hard way, and manually download the files rather than copying them over from an old install.

First thing I noticed, is that when I did a Standard install/package from a clean install. It fails to acquire quite a few critical mods and cancels the installation.

So...

I copied the files from my priorly working SOA folder to get these missing packages (not overwriting any existing files)

Yet, when I get the installer going, almost every package comes back as NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS

I also typed SL for Standard, English only during installation, and one of the first packages it fails on is some korean language pack (weidu actually crashes).

I thought it was because the command prompt window didn't have elevated privileges, so I started the initial big world...vbs file from an elevated command prompt.

Here's an example

Press ENTER to exit.

and more

Press ENTER to exit.

and more

Parsing.Parse_error

ERROR Installing [Rupert the Dye Merchant (for BG2 or TuTu/BGT)], rolling back t
o previous state
Automatically Skipping [Rupert the Dye Merchant (for BG2 or TuTu/BGT)] because o
f error.
Using Language [English]

Press ENTER to exit.

#3 thistleknot

thistleknot
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 04:38 PM

What a nightmare. A lot of the mods download at 0 KB files, hence the errors. So I manually dl'd them. Some versions I was only able to get newer files such as scsII-v19.

I'm seeing a lot of success, I'm probably gonna have to apply scsII-v19 manually afterwards, but sweet!

As a side-note, I always thought it was good practice to save a store of the Big World Downloads directory, which came in handy this time, also my own note on installing the damn big world setup, which now is updated with some mods are dl'd with zero'd sizes.

Well seeing how no one's responded, I guess I'm going to do this the hard way, and manually download the files rather than copying them over from an old install.

So...

Here's an example

Press ENTER to exit.

and more

Press ENTER to exit.

and more

Parsing.Parse_error

o previous state
f error.
Using Language [English]

Press ENTER to exit.

Edited by thistleknot, 25 November 2011 - 06:00 PM.

#4 i30817

i30817
  • 611 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 06:08 PM

Don't. Use. BWS.

Do it manually, from the pdf file and this site:

http://kerzenburg.ba....eu/bwpmods.php

Edited by i30817, 25 November 2011 - 06:10 PM.

#5 thistleknot

thistleknot
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:22 PM

I saw how the BWS was obsolete, but the threads didn't point me in the right direction, and your post points me not to a specific url, but a forum. I'm guessing installpack?

Also what pdf? Man, this shit sucks how it changes and everything everyone has been relying on is modded in another non English language.

Either way, I got it successfully installed :) BUT AWWWW FUCK. Right after it finishes, I get the answer. I spent 2 days on this.

Don't. Use. BWS.

Edited by thistleknot, 25 November 2011 - 07:25 PM.

#6 thistleknot

thistleknot
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:29 PM

Would have been nice if you had posted in an all english thread

http://www.shsforums...ds&showfile=536

I saw how the BWS was obsolete, but the threads didn't point me in the right direction, and your post points me not to a specific url, but a forum. I'm guessing installpack?

Also what pdf? Man, this shit sucks how it changes and everything everyone has been relying on is modded in another non English language.

Either way, I got it successfully installed :) BUT AWWWW FUCK. Right after it finishes, I get the answer. I spent 2 days on this.

Don't. Use. BWS.

#7 thistleknot

thistleknot
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:43 PM

Full installs, missing files such as error...wav and intro...wav

what gives?

Don't. Use. BWS.

#8 thistleknot

thistleknot
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:58 PM

nm found them in my old install

what gives?

Don't. Use. BWS.

#9 thistleknot

thistleknot
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:59 PM

Now it's Big World Fixpack. I thought the installpack would have this shit.

what gives?

Don't. Use. BWS.

#10 thistleknot

thistleknot
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:02 PM

This is bull, I think the big world setup was a bit easier (being one file and all), but I found the pdf, god help me.

Edit:
283 pages!

I just dl'd a 78 page one for bws 9.2, and I didn't want to even glance at it, this is x3 the size. What the! What the hell is the mod community thinking breaking up the download package into 3 components and tripling the size of the pdf? Seriously. 2 days in and this is what I've come to Argghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (but seriously though, thanks for the instructions).

What initially lead me to BWS was a reddit post on how EASY it was, easy was never part of it. Unfortunately, I find it saddening that modifying the game has become more convoluted since BWS.

Latest error is

"bg2 fixpack"
"baldur's gate trilogy"

Edit: Hmm.... I think after "running big world fix"pack.bat, it's doing something.

Nevermind, crashes out I guess.

http://www.shsforums...ds&showfile=534

Now it's Big World Fixpack. I thought the installpack would have this shit.

what gives?

Don't. Use. BWS.

Edited by thistleknot, 26 November 2011 - 01:40 AM.

#11 mr fantastic

mr fantastic
  • 119 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 10:31 PM

Are you drunk or something???

Be respectful to the community some of these people here spent enormous amount of time on mods, fixes and everything else.
This is no place for that sort of language here mate, and if you're going to do that nobody will help you.
Mind you there are children coming to these forums as well, so MIND YOUR LANGUAGE.

Nobody said that installing a modded and especially multi modded game is a walk in the park.

First of all before posting and starting anything read for example this Jarno's FAQ

BWS is outdated although I found it very useful to set up my tactic installation just purely for downloading many mods(obviously some of them you're going to download manually) and unpacking them. Then close BWS and run BWP Install pack 10.2. Worked for me very well, no errors.

If you want to customize your mods you need to edit the install.bat file which is relatively easy to do, and I think there was a guide to do that, but I don't remember where, maybe someone else knows.

And politeness please.
I wanted infravison like the elves...But 'tis more than just taking their eyes

-Xzar

#12 Beleg33

Beleg33

AKA Adanedhel on G3

• 521 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:05 AM

Pages 15 to 20 are all you need to read in the pdf manual. The rest is only detailed components of each mod for customization (batch file editing).

Since the BWS is outdated you just unpack all your mods and the installpack/fixpack (Fixpack might be included in installpack nowadays, not sure) into your BG2 folder and run the Big World install.bat.
Random spambot #8434678 said :

you should liquor multiplying great deal supplment your to office apparel predicated copy may possibly be an go through check out this behave as more busy den has an interest in pc

#13 thistleknot

thistleknot
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:38 AM

Your right, I was drunk. Very frustrated. I edited my post. I have a problem with my temper and frustration when I drink. I knew what I was typing was inciteful (prolly due to the fact that 6 beers in I had to do some actual thinking/reading, which only added to my frustration), yet I typed it anyways. I'm sorry. I'm such a troll.

I'm really sorry. I shouldn't have been cursing like that. I usually go back and clean it up and attempt to make amends, and drop out of the forums out of embarrassment.

However, I still maintain that the process has become a bit more convoluted, and someone who has gone from BWS to this might encounter such frustration. BWS was buggy as hell though.

So, from my understanding of things. BWS is useful to extract everything. So why even bother with BW installer? If it's just going to install the mods I extract, which is what BWS was going to do anyways. - Nevermind, I see from http://kerzenburg.ba...ead.php?t=34931 that there are more mods.

Are you drunk or something???

Be respectful to the community some of these people here spent enormous amount of time on mods, fixes and everything else.
This is no place for that sort of language here mate, and if you're going to do that nobody will help you.
Mind you there are children coming to these forums as well, so MIND YOUR LANGUAGE.

Nobody said that installing a modded and especially multi modded game is a walk in the park.

First of all before posting and starting anything read for example this Jarno's FAQ

BWS is outdated although I found it very useful to set up my tactic installation just purely for downloading many mods(obviously some of them you're going to download manually) and unpacking them. Then close BWS and run BWP Install pack 10.2. Worked for me very well, no errors.

If you want to customize your mods you need to edit the install.bat file which is relatively easy to do, and I think there was a guide to do that, but I don't remember where, maybe someone else knows.

And politeness please.

Edited by thistleknot, 26 November 2011 - 06:57 AM.

#14 thistleknot

thistleknot
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:54 AM

Pages 15 to 20 are all you need to read in the pdf manual. The rest is only detailed components of each mod for customization (batch file editing).

Since the BWS is outdated you just unpack all your mods and the installpack/fixpack (Fixpack might be included in installpack nowadays, not sure) into your BG2 folder and run the Big World install.bat.

Thank you.

It's funny. I was actually getting to the point where I wanted a manual install set of instructions (mainly, what structure do unzipped mods need to be in when unzipping manually, and the pdf in all its chunkiness, tells me straight up how to have the files extracted, but it is a pain), looks like I got it and all I did was bitch about it.

Here's a big question.

The instructions say to extract the mods into there own folder called "Big World Project" so I have them for safe keeping.

So I'm doing that, but, when I copy the mods to my SOA directory, do I copy the extracted folder name (example, TobEx_Beta0021.rar extracted folder name is TobEx_Beta0021), or do I copy the contents of the folder into the SOA folder.

Also, some packages have multiple sub-folders, such as CtBv1.13a, what do I do in that case? Do I reference the pdf? Because if I do, the PDF tells me to run these programs to. Or should I just extract them the way the PDF tells me and not run them and let the installer do it all?

Yeah, this is a pain. No clear cut instructions on what a standard install is, so I'm downloading all the links on http://kerzenburg.ba...ead.php?t=34931 and reading the instructions on the pdf on how to extract them, I'm at Never Ending Journey, which is saying it's incompatible with BG2fixpack So I guess I won't be installing that? (UPDATE: turns out the latest version is incompatible, the instructions are confusing mentioning that, but useful, and is why the links page has an older version).

It would be nice if there was a clear cut Standard, Tactical, etc mod list that I could focus on.

Which leads me back to my main point about how frustrating this all is.

I guess if I want it the easy way, I use Big World Setup to DL and extract all my mods, then pepper that with the new versions that Big World Setup doesn't get. Then I can run Big World Install from Big World Project? Does that work? I think Mr Fantastic was saying it does.

Well here we go....

Edited by thistleknot, 26 November 2011 - 04:11 AM.

#15 mr fantastic

mr fantastic
  • 119 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:07 AM

Thank you.

It's funny. I was actually getting to the point where I wanted a manual install set of instructions (mainly, what structure do unzipped mods need to be in when unzipping manually, and the pdf in all its chunkiness, tells me straight up how to have the files extracted, but it is a pain), looks like I got it and all I did was bitch about it.

Here's a big question.

The instructions say to extract the mods into there own folder called "Big World Project" so I have them for safe keeping.

So I'm doing that, but, when I copy the mods to my SOA directory, do I copy the extracted folder name (example, TobEx_Beta0021.rar extracted folder name is TobEx_Beta0021), or do I copy the contents of the folder into the SOA folder.

Also, some packages have multiple sub-folders, such as CtBv1.13a, what do I do in that case? Do I reference the pdf? Because if I do, the PDF tells me to run these programs to. Or should I just extract them the way the PDF tells me and not run them and let the installer do it all?

Yeah, this is a pain. No clear cut instructions on what a standard install is, so I'm downloading all the links on http://kerzenburg.ba...ead.php?t=34931 and reading the instructions on the pdf on how to extract them, I'm at Never Ending Journey, which is saying it's incompatible with BG2fixpack So I guess I won't be installing that? (UPDATE: turns out the latest version is incompatible, the instructions are confusing mentioning that, but useful, and is why the links page has an older version).

It would be nice if there was a clear cut Standard, Tactical, etc mod list that I could focus on.

Which leads me back to my main point about how frustrating this all is.

I guess if I want it the easy way, I use Big World Setup to DL and extract all my mods, then pepper that with the new versions that Big World Setup doesn't get. Then I can run Big World Install from Big World Project? Does that work? I think Mr Fantastic was saying it does.

Well here we go....

Just don't let BWS install anything, when it's done extracting close the window and run BWP Install pack 10.2 which does several checks anyway, handles fixpacks, etc, basically will check what mods are in your folder and everything is in order.
Remember that preparation is vital, I refer you again to Jarnos's FAQ
I wanted infravison like the elves...But 'tis more than just taking their eyes

-Xzar

#16 Beleg33

Beleg33

AKA Adanedhel on G3

• 521 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:40 AM

I'm not the most knowledgeable modder around but I'll help with what I -think I- know.

The setup-nameofmod.exe files and affiliated folder should be in your main BG2 folder, the .tp2 can be either in the same folder as the exec or in the mod sub-folder; not sure how this works, leave it as it was extracted.

In cases like CtB, what I do is move the files/folder in main folder then delete unnecessary folder. Although Dabus hinted that the batch does it automatically.

About NEJ I don't know much but on that download page you can see which mods go with what install (recommended/standard/tactic/expert) the only NEJ component that goes with standard install is BGT-NEJ2 1.1. The others should probably be left out unless you feel like dealing with bugs/incompatibilities and such or you're expert in modding :P
(Even then there used to be a transition bug with that component which may or may not have been fixed)

Edited by Beleg33, 26 November 2011 - 05:40 AM.

Random spambot #8434678 said :

you should liquor multiplying great deal supplment your to office apparel predicated copy may possibly be an go through check out this behave as more busy den has an interest in pc

#17 thistleknot

thistleknot
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 06:44 AM

after it finishes extracting, it does soundsets, is this a problem?

It seems to be working. Lots of success', saw a few failures, but oh well.

I only ran the fixpack, and installpack. Tons of mods (more than what I saw with just BWS, so I guess this is a success). And now I guess I know how to install later packages.

However, the BWP 10.2 only has certain mods in it. If a new update were to come out (I saw some files I had were newer than what 10.2 had, but the filenames were ok so I figured it'll plug them in at the right points, unless there is new questions that the scripted responses will mess up).

My question is, if I wanted to do this BWS/BWP setup, and peppering with the latest mods, and those mods aren't listed in 10.2, I guess I'm on my own? Read the mod's readme on where it needs to go and when? And if that's the case, I guess I can't do it with the install.bat (or is that was the faq is for, modifying the install.bat if I need to).

Edited by thistleknot, 26 November 2011 - 07:04 AM.

#18 thistleknot

thistleknot
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:37 AM

Packages I manually had to extract

Standard manually expand Ajantisbg1-v4
to soa
and npc_portraits__v1.9

and finally

What didn't install
Beyond the Law was not installed
Changes and corrections to the graphics of the celestial creatures was not installed
Improved Summons was not installed
The MTS Crappack was not installed
Unholy Gate Opening Ritual Book was not installed

Improved Horns of Valhalla (not compatible with Item Revisions)
Spell-50 (conceptually not compatible with Spell Revisions;
may not be compatible with Improved Summons)

BWS has been replaced with BWP.

Worked, now to run it :)

I'm sorry for being a whiny bitch. It was a long hard process, but eventually I got it. It's not technically 10.2, but it's a good enough version for now (standard).

Edited by thistleknot, 26 November 2011 - 10:43 AM.

#19 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:33 PM

Btw, anytime you run into something spooky - it would help to know what you installed :D So post/attach the contents of the WeiDU.log file when you make a bug report :P

Peeps around here are helpful :cheers:... well most are :P And yeah, the first few posts did make me lol :lol:

PS: Found this :P Adding mods to the install.bat (the spoiler :D)

Edited by Lollorian, 26 November 2011 - 07:38 PM.

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#20 thistleknot

thistleknot
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 05:36 PM

Btw, anytime you run into something spooky - it would help to know what you installed :D So post/attach the contents of the WeiDU.log file when you make a bug report :P

Peeps around here are helpful :cheers:... well most are :P And yeah, the first few posts did make me lol :lol:

PS: Found this :P Adding mods to the install.bat (the spoiler :D)

Where is install.bat referenced? You have a post # on that thread?